Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi-Connect 3G gets upgraded to 4G

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi-Connect 3G gets upgraded to 4G

I have a 2013 A6 using the regular Audi Connect plan through T-Mobile.
The service is 3G which is just OK speed wise, but that in no way could be characterized as awesome.

Recently I got a letter from T-Mobile indicating that I should start seeing much slower data from now on, as a result of upgrades to their network and the type of modem my car is using.

So I called my Audi dealer and they said, "No Problem. Just bring in your car along with that letter and we will upgrade your modem to the 4G, free of charge!"

I will be going in Monday for the upgrade.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Can you post a copy of the letter? I have a 2015 and I think I only get 3G as well.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! 4G LTE would be huge.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

My 13 is literally at the dealership getting the the 3G modem upgrade...

Actually I'm not sure, maybe I'll be lucky and get the 4g upgrade. I brought my car in complaining about the 2g speeds and they said there's an upgrade for my model. they ordered and installed the new modem. I'm expecting to pick it up tomorrow.

Fingers crossed.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Oscar2
I have a 2013 A6 using the regular Audi Connect plan through T-Mobile.
The service is 3G which is just OK speed wise, but that in no way could be characterized as awesome.

Recently I got a letter from T-Mobile indicating that I should start seeing much slower data from now on, as a result of upgrades to their network and the type of modem my car is using.

So I called my Audi dealer and they said, "No Problem. Just bring in your car along with that letter and we will upgrade your modem to the 4G, free of charge!"

I will be going in Monday for the upgrade.
Your dealer is wrong. These upgrades have been going on for quite a while now for 2012 & 2013 owners. You are going to be upgraded to the same cellular radio that was used in the 2014 & 2015 cars, not the LTE system in the 2016.

The main benefit is being able to switch from T-Mobile to AT&T as the new hardware supports their 3G spectrum.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Oh ok.
Too bad I won't be getting 4G, but it does make more sense.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

This is a point of contention. Your dealer is right depending on who you ask. 4G doesn't mean LTE. The new modem supports the faster 3G networks HSPA and HSPA+. The old modem only supported UMTS. Most carriers and others in the industry consider HSPA+ to be the first generation 4G network. More accuratly it's more like 3.5G, but nonetheless it's noticeable faster than UMTS. If you've ever paid attention to your smartphone, depending on what phone you have, you may have noticed that next to the signal bar it either displays 2G, 3G, 4G or LTE. The iPhone for example does. 4G is displayed if the phone currently uses the HSPA+ network and 3G if it uses the UMTS or HSPA network and LTE obviously when it's using the LTE network.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

To add to this discussion, T-Mobile is discontinuing the older 3G frequency in the U.S. region by region over time leaving only 2G speeds available for MY2012/2013 Audis with Nav Plus. If you are the original purchaser, you would get a letter from AoA and T-Mobile with instruction to take it to an applicable dealer for the modem update. If you are not located in one of those regions yet, you will not receive the letter and the dealers there would not have the authorization, documentation nor parts to do the modem update. It will take T-Mobile some time to update their frequencies across the country.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
To add to this discussion, T-Mobile is discontinuing the older 3G frequency in the U.S. region by region over time.
FYI The technical term is "refarming" the frequencies and that term is best for googling to get the Tmobile Refarm maps for your area. Its city by city. The 3G frequencies are being refarmed (converted) for LTE to provide more bandwidth and to provide LTE where it did not exist in rural areas. In Colorado, the refarmed areas are mostly semi rural - saves TMO from putting in new sites.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Worldwidebeagle
FYI The technical term is "refarming" the frequencies and that term is best for googling to get the Tmobile Refarm maps for your area. Its city by city. The 3G frequencies are being refarmed (converted) for LTE to provide more bandwidth and to provide LTE where it did not exist in rural areas. In Colorado, the refarmed areas are mostly semi rural - saves TMO from putting in new sites.
How about providing a link to the maps that show where the new bands have been installed? I can't seem to locate anything current using that Google "T-Mobile Refarm maps" search term.

I have provided this city list in the past but it's over 6 months old.
Los Angeles, Chicago and Houston among major T-Mobile markets having their AWS 3G/4G networks shut down this summer » TmoNews

Quick Reply: Audi-Connect 3G gets upgraded to 4G