Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi-Connect 3G gets upgraded to 4G

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I got my car back. It's 3G. But I did get the latest firmware. Woohoo!
Old 01-29-2016, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

did the latest firmware add any new features or better performance?
Old 01-29-2016, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

It depends what earlier version you are comparing it too. There were several firmware upgrades along the way that fix bugs, improve performance and add some new features.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
This is a point of contention. Your dealer is right depending on who you ask. 4G doesn't mean LTE. The new modem supports the faster 3G networks HSPA and HSPA+. The old modem only supported UMTS. Most carriers and others in the industry consider HSPA+ to be the first generation 4G network. More accuratly it's more like 3.5G, but nonetheless it's noticeable faster than UMTS. If you've ever paid attention to your smartphone, depending on what phone you have, you may have noticed that next to the signal bar it either displays 2G, 3G, 4G or LTE. The iPhone for example does. 4G is displayed if the phone currently uses the HSPA+ network and 3G if it uses the UMTS or HSPA network and LTE obviously when it's using the LTE network.
It's not a point of contention unless you work at the marketing department for T-Mobile or AT&T. No one other than them considers HSPA+ to be "4G" except in theory since you COULD make devices that supports 672 downstream.

When T-Mo beat AT&T to "4G", AT&T actually came out against them as being deceptive before following suit.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AudiConnect T-Mobile Modem Upgrade - anyone know of where/how to get for 2nd owner?

We recently bought a used 2013 allroad Prestige with the full MMI+ package, and found the original owner had never even activated the Connect feature, and that the 6-month free subscription had not been used. While it was great that they honored that and activated it for us, we have now learned about the T-Mobile network changes, as we're experiencing the degradation to 2-G speeds in many areas (which makes it all but worthless).

So upon inquiring of Audi where/how we might get the modem upgrade discussed in this thread, I was told that 1) it was not available to 2nd owners, and 2 & 3 - it was only available to those original owners who had activated and continued to subscribe to the service, AND lived in an area where the T-Mobile tower change-overs have taken place. While this - for a FREE upgrade, was not unexpected (though - I would assert that it should have been treated as a recall, and made available to any and all owners, regardless) - I couldn't believe I was told it was not available at all, for purchase!

It occurs to me that there must be some of this hardware (just a chip? or a modem...which these days isn't much more than a chip!) floating around somewhere. I would be most appreciative if anyone has any information as to where/how this might be found.

Also, in searching online I came across a story on a system upgrade to 4G LTE capability offered with a company called Gemalto (see: http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/au...-chip/)....but haven't found any further info about if/when/how this might be available (or for what models). Again - I'd appreciate any info anyone might have....
Old 04-23-2017, 10:41 PM
QS4
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Shame on you Audi!

I am absolutely shocked to find myself in this situation too! This is my 4th Audi, but my first that I did not buy new. I have influenced friends to buy new and used Audis (an additional 4 cars)!!!!

The impact of this downgrade lessens the experience EVERY TIME in the car, not just on rare occasions as in some other option or feature! Who is/was the genius (or group) at the meeting that decided this was a good way to handle the issue??

I take this as a statement from Audi that it does not stand behind its vehicle, but perhaps just those that buy the new ones!
Old 04-24-2017, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

The modem upgrade module can be purchased here:

Converter Kit | Genuine Audi | 8T0-051-431 : Audi Parts | audionlineparts.com

Presumably, one could find a dealer to install it.
Old 02-21-2022, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Now it is really bad

So I already knew that Audi Connect was bad because it was so slow. I only subscribed to get traffic updates and gas locations. Now it is going off completely since ATT is shutting down 3g this month. I have seen some offers to buy chip upgrades for $700+. The whole thing including navigation is a rip off. Google upgrades for free. Audi upgrades to get the latest routes is either expensive or hard to accomplish. I own an 2018 A8 and I love it, but this navigation/audi connect is a rip off.
Old 02-22-2022, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Sheri
So I already knew that Audi Connect was bad because it was so slow. I only subscribed to get traffic updates and gas locations. Now it is going off completely since ATT is shutting down 3g this month. I have seen some offers to buy chip upgrades for $700+. The whole thing including navigation is a rip off. Google upgrades for free. Audi upgrades to get the latest routes is either expensive or hard to accomplish. I own an 2018 A8 and I love it, but this navigation/audi connect is a rip off.
Kinda surprised your 2018 has 3g. My 2016 A6 has lte.
Old 02-22-2022, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by UCLABB
Kinda surprised your 2018 has 3g. My 2016 A6 has lte.
I checked with MyAudi. They had my vin number. They confirmed that Audi Connect would no longer work on my car after AT&T shut down 3G.