Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi Connect on AT&T (2015 A6)...it works!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Connect on AT&T (2015 A6)...it works!

Just picked up my new (late November build date) 2015 A6 Prestige. In the process of "customizing" it with various VAG mods, I decided to see if Audi Connect would work using AT&T. (Like many others, AT&T reception in my home area is much better than T-mobile....plus I have an AT&T family plan). There's been a lot of discussion on the boards about this, but I'm from the "show me" school.

I simply removed the AT&T SIM card from my iPad, put it into an adapter to get it to be the right size (micro->standard), and swapped out the T-mobile SIM with the AT&T card.

Things worked automagically, with no manual changes to settings etc. It took a few seconds to configure itself, but the "3G" indicator lit up and soon I was able to use Google, etc. It also *seems* to be faster than T-mobile. Someone else recently reported that the late model A6s have an improved radio that works well with both AT&T and T-mobile....I'm happy to confirm that.

At the end of my six-month "free" Audi Connect trial (or sooner if I get sick of T-mobile service), I'll definitely be adding my A6 "tablet" to my AT&T plan for $10/month!
Old 12-19-2014, 12:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

CONFIRMED!!!

Just went to my local AT&T and picked up my SIM. Added to my Family Share plan for $10 a month. Pulled the T-Mo card and installed the AT&T card. On the way home in about 5 minutes tops it configured itself, 3G lit up with full bars. AT&T is stronger in my area also. In the data settings it configured itself as "Broadband" with no other settings. Did a full runthrough i.e. Audi Connect, Google search etc. and all works flawlessly. Very pleased and am glad I explored other options other than forking over $450 for T-mo service. If you have an AT&T familyshare plan or any share plan, this is the way to go hands down!

Last edited by BigDawg; 12-19-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that is great news as I have the same ATT plan. What do you have to do to get a SIM card?
Old 12-19-2014, 04:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jjsC6
Wow, that is great news as I have the same ATT plan. What do you have to do to get a SIM card?
Just walk in and tell them you need a SIM for your vehicle and are adding it to your Mobile Share plan. Install the SIM and enjoy!

Last edited by BigDawg; 12-20-2014 at 05:12 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDawg
Just walk in and tell them you need a SIM for your vehicle and are assing it to your Mobile Share plan. Install the SIM and enjoy!
Seems simple I guess, I just never new they did that. Thanks. I assume that you keep the google earth as part of that setup, correct? I really like the google earth map.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jjsC6
Seems simple I guess, I just never new they did that. Thanks. I assume that you keep the google earth as part of that setup, correct? I really like the google earth map.
Yes, all features work flawlessly. Pretty sure it would also work with other carriers on their respective data plans. No need to fork over a lump sum to T Mobile.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDawg
Yes, all features work flawlessly. Pretty sure it would also work with other carriers on their respective data plans. No need to fork over a lump sum to T Mobile.
Only T-Mobile and AT&T. Other carriers use different frequencies and their sims will not work.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Only T-Mobile and AT&T. Other carriers use different frequencies and their sims will not work.
Yeah I forgot. Out out the" Big 3" in the U.S., Sprint is usually the odd one out.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Can't Get the AT&T Connection to Work

All,

2014 Audi A6 Prestige

As another AT&T Family Plan customer I followed your lead by going to my local AT&T store where I picked up a large SIM card for free. I then called 611 to activate, they needed the SIM card number and the IMEI number from the car whch I saw in another thread.

After activation I am seeing the 3G indicator and some bars in the lower right corner of the MMI display but alas no data connection, wifi, nada. The Google indicator next to the 3G is grayed out. The AT&T rep said that full activation could take 24-48 hours but I'm struggling to buy that story given the posts I've read.

Any ideas? I think I set up the data connection right - no prompt, Broadband, no username or password.

Many thanks,
Ten Beers
Old 12-24-2014, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Ten Beers
All,

2014 Audi A6 Prestige

As another AT&T Family Plan customer I followed your lead by going to my local AT&T store where I picked up a large SIM card for free. I then called 611 to activate, they needed the SIM card number and IMEI number from the car whch I saw in another thread.

After activation I am seeing the 3G indicator and some bars in the lower right corner of the MMI display but alas no data connection, wifi, nada. The Google indicator next to the 3G is grayed out. The AT&T rep said that full activation could take 24-48 hours but I'm struggling to buy that story given the posts I've read.

Any ideas? I think I set up the data connection right - no prompt, Broadband, no username or password.

Many thanks,
Ten Beers
Make sure that you gave them the IMEI number from YOUR car....

Quick Reply: Audi Connect on AT&T (2015 A6)...it works!