Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi Connect on AT&T (2015 A6)...it works!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
Changing the SIM card will not allow you to get nav updates from other sources than the dealer.
But does it stop from google maps from reloading? I mean I can understand that the actual map overlays may not update, what about the google maps sattelite images?
Old 02-06-2015, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If I understand your question correctly, there are 2 ways to do this:

1. Press the SIM so that it disengages from locked position until you want to use it, then you can press it all the way in.
or
2. Change the settings in Connections to "Always Ask" about logging in and using the SIM.
That is what I do, but it does require you to press the MMI button for "No" every time you start your car and have maps set on Google vs. Standard in Navigation settings.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by McFuzz
But does it stop from google maps from reloading? I mean I can understand that the actual map overlays may not update, what about the google maps sattelite images?
I have used AT&T and T-mobile (non-Audi) SIMs and Google maps always worked. I could never get the T-mobile iPad SIM (200MB free for life) work in the MMI for more than a few hours though.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JRomulus
If I understand your question correctly, there are 2 ways to do this:

1. Press the SIM so that it disengages from locked position until you want to use it, then you can press it all the way in.
or
2. Change the settings in Connections to "Always Ask" about logging in and using the SIM.
That is what I do, but it does require you to press the MMI button for "No" every time you start your car and have maps set on Google vs. Standard in Navigation settings.
Actually my question was answered by the post below yours. I was wondering whether the google maps map downloading works with non Audi SIMs - I guess I made my question too complicated haha
Old 02-07-2015, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Does using non original SIM cards for the MMI (meaning - not what came to use with AudiConnect originally) allow you to download and update nav maps? Or does it only update google maps satellite images but the actual 'maps' are a different source?

This is on a '14 A6.
Any compatible, active sim card is soley for Audi Connect which provides Google Earth map overlay, online POI destination searches, wifi hot spot, other proprietary internet services like "send to car" locations, weather, events, parking, news and gas prices. No Audi yet (other than possibly the new A3/S3) has the capability to download MMI or map software updates. They can only be obtained and installed by a dealer.

The base/standard map (including limited, static POI data and addresses) is pre-installed internally on every Audi with Nav. Google Earth is not a "map" but a dynamic photo overlay that integrates with the standard map. Online Google search has essentially the same POI data as found on the Google map website.
Note that Audi/Google Earth does not display the city true photo 3D building mode like on a device with Google Earth app or on a computer (although the Audi's standard map mode can display 3D building graphics with zoomed-in map scales in large cities).
Old 02-09-2015, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Any compatible, active sim card is soley for Audi Connect which provides Google Earth map overlay, online POI destination searches, wifi hot spot, other proprietary internet services like "send to car" locations, weather, events, parking, news and gas prices. No Audi yet (other than possibly the new A3/S3) has the capability to download MMI or map software updates. They can only be obtained and installed by a dealer.

The base/standard map (including limited, static POI data and addresses) is pre-installed internally on every Audi with Nav. Google Earth is not a "map" but a dynamic photo overlay that integrates with the standard map. Online Google search has essentially the same POI data as found on the Google map website.
Note that Audi/Google Earth does not display the city true photo 3D building mode like on a device with Google Earth app or on a computer (although the Audi's standard map mode can display 3D building graphics with zoomed-in map scales in large cities).
Thanks - exactly the info I was looking for.

The funny thing about Google Earth in my area is that it is constantly updated - case of point: near my parents' place, there's new road that opened last year. The navteq (I think those are navteq maps...) do not show that road but the google earth overly does!

In either case - thanks for the answer. So my next question is - can you perform MMI/maps update by yourself by perhaps acquiring an SD card (like I could with my Passat) or is it a Dealer only service?
Old 02-09-2015, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

In either case - thanks for the answer. So my next question is - can you perform MMI/maps update by yourself by perhaps acquiring an SD card (like I could with my Passat) or is it a Dealer only service?
Dealer only, MY2016 may be different but for now it's dealer only in the A6 C7.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks - exactly the info I was looking for.
So my next question is - can you perform MMI/maps update by yourself by perhaps acquiring an SD card (like I could with my Passat) or is it a Dealer only service?
Last sentence in my first paragraph - dealer only.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Last sentence in my first paragraph - dealer only.
Lol yeah - selective reading I guess :lol:
Old 05-15-2015, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Can anyone tell me if the AT&T sim will work in a 2014 allroad? My wife's car is coming up to the end of her 6 month trial period and I will switch over to AT&T if I can get it as an add on for $10 a month.
We run with the google map overlay on 100% of the time and use the weather and search features frequently so I want to make sure that I can use it as 3G not as 2G.

Quick Reply: Audi Connect on AT&T (2015 A6)...it works!