Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi Connect and T-Mobile

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aquarian
also, I suggest someone else on the forum to try it with his/her non-iphone sim card to see if you can get it to work with other data functions of the car. Maybe it's an iphone account thing.
Do u have an iphone4?
Old 08-22-2011, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by fdot
Do u have an iphone4?

I do. But as I mentioned previously, I used my wife's 3GS's sim card on the car. iphone4 uses a mini sim.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent lead aquarian!!! Building on your work, I think I have become the first to unlock the A6 data module!!!!!!!!!!

As promised, I installed my standard SIM card from my iPhone 3GS on my drive home. It pulled a 2G signal the whole way, confirming the superior coverage of ATT in my area. Unfortunately, it would not allow data access. I thought all hope was lost.

After reading your post, I was given new hope. I did an internet search for AT&T APN codes. I saw multiple posts with regards to broadband access that recommended the following settings:

APN: wap.cingular
USERNAME:
PASSWORD:

They said to leave the username and password fields blank. MMI doesn't allow a blank in those fields, so I used a space only for each username and password.

The result...

A FULLY FUNCTIONAL DATA CONNECTION!!! I was able to access Google maps, and all other online services provided by Audi Connect, albeit at 2G speed. I played around, and the minimal data that Audi Connect actually downloads doesn't make much of a difference in speed of online services. I could live with this if it meant full coverage. Furthermore, I was able to successfully interchange the original T-Mobile SIM and the AT&T SIM and reestablish data connection without having to change settings each time. Fully interchangeable!

So the final piece of the puzzle. Can I use 2 identical SIM cards on the AT&T network at the same time? Either a cloned SIM (if possible anymore), or a replacement SIM. My ultimate goal is to use my unlimited data plan that my iPhone has to talk on the phone (using the Bluetooth connection) AND allow for data by Audi Connect at the same time.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by teddyoh
Excellent lead aquarian!!! Building on your work, I think I have become the first to unlock the A6 data module!!!!!!!!!!

As promised, I installed my standard SIM card from my iPhone 3GS on my drive home. It pulled a 2G signal the whole way, confirming the superior coverage of ATT in my area. Unfortunately, it would not allow data access. I thought all hope was lost.

After reading your post, I was given new hope. I did an internet search for AT&T APN codes. I saw multiple posts with regards to broadband access that recommended the following settings:

USERNAME:
PASSWORD:

They said to leave the username and password fields blank. MMI doesn't allow a blank in those fields, so I used a space only for each username and password.

The result...

A FULLY FUNCTIONAL DATA CONNECTION!!! I was able to access Google maps, and all other online services provided by Audi Connect, albeit at 2G speed. I played around, and the minimal data that Audi Connect actually downloads doesn't make much of a difference in speed of online services. I could live with this if it meant full coverage. Furthermore, I was able to successfully interchange the original T-Mobile SIM and the AT&T SIM and reestablish data connection without having to change settings each time. Fully interchangeable!

So the final piece of the puzzle. Can I use 2 identical SIM cards on the AT&T network at the same time? Either a cloned SIM (if possible anymore), or a replacement SIM. My ultimate goal is to use my unlimited data plan that my iPhone has to talk on the phone (using the Bluetooth connection) AND allow for data by Audi Connect at the same time.

Excellent work! I didn't think of putting spaces in login and password, otherwise I would have done it too!

However, I highly doubt that ATT will let you use 2 sim cards under the same telephone number at the same time. That would be like using 2 cell phones with the same number at the same time...

Last edited by aquarian; 08-22-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

USERNAME:
PASSWORD:

The result...

Huh. I would have thought Google Maps would be a continuous large data download and too much for 2G to keep up.

From what I've read, cloning a sim card these days would require access to AT&T equipment which of course, would probably be illegal (or cause for dismissal at the least) if an employee were to do it on the sly. Also, as the previous poster pointed out, even if you could clone the card, AT&T would determine that two devices were using the same account and possibly turn you off forthwith.

Interesting article:

http://lazybit.com/index.php/2009/10...a-sim-card-not

Last edited by snagitseven; 08-22-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

UPDATE:

I actually tried the inputting spaces under login and password but it didn't seem to work. In the password field I keep getting something like <*******> even though I only put a space and oked it.

I couldn't get data for some reason. Hm...
Old 08-23-2011, 03:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Great work, now If I could clone my iPad sim card, all would be right in the world.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aquarian
I actually tried the inputting spaces under login and password but it didn't seem to work. In the password field I keep getting something like <*******> even though I only put a space and oked it.
Did you test it? Even though I put a space in the password field, it still displays <*******>. I think that's basic password protection so nobody scrolling through your settings can see the password, just like any other password field you would ever enter. It would still be set as just a space.

I find that it takes a minute for the data connection to be made after inserting the SIM. It will initially read 2G with a plain oval around it. Soon, the oval will turn into an oval with the little arrows indicating you are good.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Now I will get one of these

http://www.google.com/search?q=mini+...iw=768&bih=900

And when I go on a road trip, I will use my iPads sim card
Old 08-23-2011, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

USERNAME:
PASSWORD:

The result...

Oh btw did tethering work

Quick Reply: Audi Connect and T-Mobile