Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Is the Audi connect worth getting step in a used A6

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Is the Audi connect worth getting step in a used A6

Hi I looking to by a used A6. I am certainly a gadget guy and have been reading all the great posts about map updates and such. So my question is if I by 2013-2014 car, the maps will be out of date and I'm not sure it's worth it to update them considering the cost and I have my iPhone with 3 different Gps programs. What eslse does the connecting do for you? I know that goggle maps will load but if maps are out of date will it work properly?

Thanks for the replies in advance.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll say no. To my understanding, Audi connect will get you google Earth image overlay on top of your out-dated map. So say there's a new road, you might be able to see it on google earth overlay, but navigation still won't pick that route as it doesn't know about it.

Even you paid the fee to update the map data, it's still last years map data. And it will still be out-dated right away. I'll say just use your phone.

I use my phone or car's navigation alternatively. Depending on whether I want to enter/search the POI on car...it's just too slow for me.

Besides showing Google Earth overlay, Audi connect can also act as Wifi-hotspot.
And you can also do google voice search, access Audi Connect Online destination (send the POI from google map to your car, but it takes more than 1min for me from start the car to get the online destination loaded to car).
It also shows your some news I believe, which I think I've only used it once....nothing too useful.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a 2016 A6 P+. The car is great but, really, all I need is navigation with traffic. The google maps is "cool" but really just a gimmick. I never send data to my car from home as I see no real value in this. The news/info that comes to my car over Audi connect is also not so useful. All maps have errors and one that is few years old ( even several) is still very useful. Yes, my car does have an internet network but I am normally the only one in my car and no need to handle "up to eight devices".
Old 07-23-2016, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

With all of these subscription services, if you use them they are worth it. If not then no they're not. The choice is good though.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

I find the Online Destinations to be worth the cost alone of Audi Connect. It uses Google's dynamic online database so the locations are almost always up to date. Coupled with Voice Command, I can find just about any location I ever need without having to fumble with a phone while driving. The rest of the features are gravy.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope. I have a '13 A6 and 3G speeds were brutally slow. Tethering to a phone is too easy now if you need to connect an ipad or laptop.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiRightNow
Nope. I have a '13 A6 and 3G speeds were brutally slow. Tethering to a phone is too easy now if you need to connect an ipad or laptop.
Yeah, if you use the wifi hotspot, the car's 3G speed is not very useful. However, the other features like online search and Google Earth are not that bad. Slower than the newer Audis with 4G LTE but still very usable.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think if you can get an updated map, that would be great. I think a service like Audi Connect is great since you can send destinations to the car, and use Google Voice Search. Even if the map isn't the most up to date, the car will get you there.

The Google Map overlay is great for me. I live in an area where development is happening all the time. Being able to see the streets not yet labeled allow me to navigate through unlisted roads. Going with even an iPhone 6+ is smaller than the screen, unless you use it for Waze notifications. For me, it's annoying not having a dedicated screen for the map when I need it.

My daughter uses the 3G on the iPad from the back seat with no problems.

IMO, there are enough times when I wish I had it, to justify $10/month (or less).
Old 07-25-2016, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for replies, I will diffidently try to get latest update thrown in, I figured if I end finding the right car at a Actual Audi dealer that would be a option as they could do it. Will see.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same question when I got my 2012... I rarely use the MMI's nav anymore. My phone is on a magnetic mount by the MMI screen and it is far more capable than the Audi's nav.

Google's NAV is always up to date with traffic data (accidents, slow downs, etc...) and the voice control is about a hundred times better than Audi's.

I do miss the nav instructions on the HUD and the screen between the gauges.

Quick Reply: Is the Audi connect worth getting step in a used A6