Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi Drive Select (ADS) Summary

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Well I see Audi Drive Select as a feature to collect settings from a bunch of different systems so the driver can change them together in one of the three modes--Comfort, Auto and Dynamic.

My thinking is the transmission settings were developed independently without ADS in mind, and go way back to the 1990s as shown in that A8 article I linked. So the transmissions (there are many like 8-sp, 6-sp, CVT, S-tronic) were developed with only two operating modes--"D" and "S". But ADS has three modes, so the "D" needs to double up for both Comfort and Auto. Other systems like the steering, air suspension and sport diff probably were developed with ADS in mind, so they do have three operating modes which can be mapped correspondingly.

The funny thing is I also suspect there is a slight difference between Comfort and Auto modes for my CVT, where the clutch pick-up when starting off, and the clutch disengagement when stopping, feels smoother in Comfort mode...

If you have VAG-COM you could investigate further by hooking it up while driving and reading the display group 12, field 2, which will show you the Dynamic Shift Program from 0-256 that the transmission is in, and try to see if there is any difference when ADS is set to Comfort or Auto modes. It will be difficult though because it changes depending on your driving style, and this will be hard to keep consistent when you change from Comfort to Auto. But look for a bias towards lower numbers in Comfort mode.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by newmoon
Well I see Audi Drive Select as a feature to collect settings from a bunch of different systems so the driver can change them together in one of the three modes--Comfort, Auto and Dynamic.

My thinking is the transmission settings were developed independently without ADS in mind, and go way back to the 1990s as shown in that A8 article I linked. So the transmissions (there are many like 8-sp, 6-sp, CVT, S-tronic) were developed with only two operating modes--"D" and "S". But ADS has three modes, so the "D" needs to double up for both Comfort and Auto. Other systems like the steering, air suspension and sport diff probably were developed with ADS in mind, so they do have three operating modes which can be mapped correspondingly.

The funny thing is I also suspect there is a slight difference between Comfort and Auto modes for my CVT, where the clutch pick-up when starting off, and the clutch disengagement when stopping, feels smoother in Comfort mode...

If we assume for a moment that Comfort and Auto have different maps with throttle and transmission, couldn't it be possible that in D shift lever mode it just reverts to ADS Auto? This would make sense since we could presume that Audi intended the Auto selection for "normal" driving.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It's hard to tell because the transmission seems to change maps across the full range in all modes--D, S, Comfort, Auto, Dynamic. I can even get it to shift very early and keep the revs at 1,000 rpm after a period of driving sedately in S and Dynamic modes.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well, I stand corrected. I found this chart in the 2012 Audi A6 Study Guide (and also in my manual). While it's pretty basic it does appear to show that the engine throttle/transmission maps are the same in Comfort and Auto (called "Balanced"). This would indicate using D shifter mode or ADS, the two modes for these are one and the same.

So for the U.S. 2012+ A6:

1) Engine throttle and transmission gear maps have just two results; Comfort and Dynamic; the Auto mode is the same as Comfort mode. (Same for seat belt pretensioners).

2) D or S shifter modes will override and be the same as ADS Comfort and Dynamic respectively for throttle and gearing.

3) Steering is the only A6 ADS function that has a "middle" Auto setting (also Air suspension for other countries and the Sport Differential for S6 models if so equipped; there may be others depending on location and features).

3) ADS steering, ACC (if equipped) and seat belt pretensioners can have an Individual setting that are not overridden by the shift lever in D or S is Steering.

4) It's not clear from the chart or my study guide if the ADS Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) Auto mode is the same as Comfort mode or if they are actually different in operation.

Based on this chart, I'm somewhat baffled why Audi bothers to have the ADS indicate both Auto and Comfort modes for throttle, transmission and seat belt pretensioners since they appear to be the same. Seems like labeling two modes, Comfort (or Balanced as in the chart) and Dynamic would have sufficed and avoided any confusion. Bottom line is it seems that essentially the only things that U.S. A6 ADS does beyond what the D or S shifter can implement is steering, ACC and seat belt pretensioners since throttle and transmission can easily be switched using the shifter (not sure if the ADS curve light setting is avail in the U.S. A6 or Engine Sound setting with the S6).
Attached Images  

Last edited by snagitseven; 09-16-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't surprise me if Auto has a greater significance in Europe. Rather than increase costs to remove it for the U.S. market, they left it in, assuming that it wouldn't have any negative impact on the performance of the car -- just no significant benefit. Simply cheaper to leave it in. I suppose it's also there in case future programming updates make it more relevant.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've often thought that "Sport" mode (in any car that has something like it) reflects how the car is really engineered to operate, and that "Drive" mode is just a dumbed-down set of engine and transmission parameters designed to maximize the fuel economy numbers for the window sticker and EPA testing purposes.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

It seems that Sport mode for steering only reduces the level of assist, making it feel heavier....it doesn't change the ratio. Correct?
Old 09-18-2013, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by James517
It seems that Sport mode for steering only reduces the level of assist, making it feel heavier....it doesn't change the ratio. Correct?
Correct (only for ADS Dynamic mode, not Sport mode on the shifter). The North American C7 series ADS parameters only affect steering effort. "Dynamic Steering" found in other models and locales affects ratio as well as effort.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
"Dynamic Steering" found in other models and locales affects ratio as well as effort.
And Audi would leave this (and other items like adjustable suspension) off their USA/NA models because...?
Old 09-18-2013, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by spoon2000
And Audi would leave this (and other items like adjustable suspension) off their USA/NA models because...?
Cost control to hit certain price points and/or marketing decisions. If there are other reasons, only their marketing department and engineers really know for sure.

Quick Reply: Audi Drive Select (ADS) Summary