Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi Drive Select (ADS) Summary

Old 09-18-2013, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Cost control to hit certain price points and/or marketing decisions. If there are other reasons, only their marketing department and engineers really know for sure.
You're probably right, but it seems bizarre, especially for a company like Audi, whose success traces to offering features (e.g. Quattro, which is complicated/expensive and carries a hefty weight penalty) that nobody thought they needed until they got them, at which point they couldn't live without them. The R&D costs for features that are offered somewhere in the world are all completely sunk, and the parts for an adjustable suspension can't be THAT much more than for a what Audi put in for the USA-bound cars.

It's somewhat ironic, because just this morning the WSJ had an article about how VW had screwed itself and irritated its loyal/rabid US customer base by dumbing-down the suspension of the Jetta and Passat for the US market for cost control and marketing reasons.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

No doubt, but no one can dispute Audi's success over the last several years including in the U.S.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ADS or not?

I'm in the preliminary stages of acquiring an S4 (I know, wrong forum section), but read through this thread to better understand the ADS system. So far, I know that the Sport Diff is a must-have option. But I'm on the fence regarding ADS. On a vehicle without ADS, say the S4, what would the "stock" driving experience equate to in an ADS-equipped vehicle? And for those of you who do have it, how often do you find yourselves changing the settings? Thanks!
Old 09-18-2013, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BigBluu
I'm in the preliminary stages of acquiring an S4 (I know, wrong forum section), but read through this thread to better understand the ADS system. So far, I know that the Sport Diff is a must-have option. But I'm on the fence regarding ADS. On a vehicle without ADS, say the S4, what would the "stock" driving experience equate to in an ADS-equipped vehicle? And for those of you who do have it, how often do you find yourselves changing the settings? Thanks!
As to what it feels like in an S4 w/o ADS, you should probably pose your question in the S4 forum. All of the C7 models come with ADS.

Since the U.S, A6 and A7 don't have adjustable suspension or the sport differential, if you've followed this thread you would know that outside of D or S settings on the shifter, essentially, only the steering stays affected in one of three settings in the MMI ADS. Therefore, I only change the ADS if I want to change the steering. Otherwise, I use the shifter (and the paddles) as desired for Dynamic (S) or Comfort (D) for engine and transmission.
Old 04-02-2016, 02:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What is the "default" setting for ADS? Does the car memorize the last setting used or do you have to select your preferred setting every time you start the car? I have a 2016 A6 and am wondering if the setting is working properly or not. Thx in advance for help on this. (Manual makes no mention of this.)
Old 04-02-2016, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Wow, you dug up my three year old thread. If the MY2016 is like previous C7s, whatever you selected in the Individual settings should be remembered when you next turn on the car. I can't remember, but the one possible exception might be the S transmission mode where you have to tap the gear shfit selector to return to the Sport mode.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Wow, you dug up my three year old thread. If the MY2016 is like previous C7s, whatever you selected in the Individual settings should be remembered when you next turn on the car. I can't remember, but the one possible exception might be the S transmission mode where you have to tap the gear shfit selector to return to the Sport mode.
I try searching first to see if there's an answer in forums!

To clarify, I was asking about whether any of the settings (comfort, auto, sport, or individual) are memorized. You may be correct re: the S transmission mode b/c when I select Sport through ADS when driving, the "S" shows up on the dashboard....but it doesn't show up when I select "individual" and the individual is set to "sport" for the drive part. Why would you design it to have to tap the shift selector?

It seems silly to have to re-select every time you start the car...which is why I was asking...not sure if it's working properly on my car or whether it's they way its supposed to work.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It's working as designed. Audi in their ever persistent goal to reduce fuel consumption (mostly to compete with other brands and satisfy the EPA) forces the car to D mode when starting up. Has been that way ever since ADS was introduced. EPA mpg specs are stated using the D mode.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Old 05-09-2017, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by shokhead
If you just want to save a thread for later, instead of making an empty post use the "subscribe" feature in the Thread Tools menu.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audi Drive Select (ADS) Summary