Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Is Audi dropping T-Mobile?

Old 04-24-2014, 12:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Audi dropping T-Mobile?

Got the email on my Auto pay today for AudiConnect and it says "Audi Connect Services Powered by AT&T". Went on their site and saw the following:
"All features of Audi connect® are available with connectivity provided through a service partner. Connectivity for the 2015 A3 Sedan is provided by AT&T. Connectivity for all other models equipped with Audi connect® is provided by T-Mobile, including the A4, A5, allroad, A6, A7, A8, Q5, and Q7. New vehicles equipped with Audi connect ® come with a complimentary six-month trial period."

Are we thinking they'll be going to AT&T for everything eventually? If they are, I'm gonna prepay and get the T-Mobile 30 month plan, because its way, way cheaper. AT&Ts rates would break me, because I use the WiFi in the car constantly. I've been averaging like 5-10MB Data used on my phone monthly and 4-5GB on the Audi.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

It would make sense that once Audi's contract with T-Mobile 3G expires on current models, they will switch to AT&T 4G on others in addition to the A3/S3. I can't imagine current cars will be switched from T-Mobile as the hardware is different for the AT&T 3G/4G in the new A3 (AT&T 2G is compatible w/T-Mobile but sloooow). Also, as announced, they will eventually implement Google's in-car system, possibly on some 2016 models.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:15 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

5-10 MB in the phone?
I can tell you don't have friends like mine who are constantly sending me all kinds of things hahaha if you know what I mean
Old 04-25-2014, 06:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by feralc
5-10 MB in the phone?
I can tell you don't have friends like mine who are constantly sending me all kinds of things hahaha if you know what I mean
I'm always connected to Wifi. Thats why my car numbers are ridiculously high.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mike_L
I'm always connected to Wifi. Thats why my car numbers are ridiculously high.
No question that for you, the 30 month T-Mobile unlimited plan is a no brainer. Of course, that's assuming you're going to keep the car that long. Which, based on some of your previous posts, seems questionable.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Can I add it to my family share for $10 like an iPad?
Old 04-25-2014, 10:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by snagitseven
No question that for you, the 30 month T-Mobile unlimited plan is a no brainer. Of course, that's assuming you're going to keep the car that long. Which, based on some of your previous posts, seems questionable.
Thats why I haven't done it yet. I'm not sure how long I'm keeping it. If I could transfer the SIMM to an A8, I'd do it as well, but none of the dealers seem to know for sure if its transferable or if the SIMM is linked to the cars VIN. I'll have to call T-Mobile one day and find out for certain.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_L
If I could transfer the SIMM to an A8, I'd do it as well, but none of the dealers seem to know for sure if its transferable
Everything I've read, including the cardstock the SIM came on, says it must stay with the vehicle.
My salesman went out of his way to mention it as well.

(877) 505-AUDI (2834) Option 1, then 1 for non-A3
Curious to know what you find out...
Old 04-25-2014, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jakematic
Everything I've read, including the cardstock the SIM came on, says it must stay with the vehicle.

True but I believe the agreement says something to the effect that it may be transferred to another vehicle only at their discretion. I don't remember the exact circumstances but I seem to recall an AW member posting that he was able to convince T-Mobile to move the balance of his 30 month account to another Audi. Still, it's a roll of the dice.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jakematic

There was no card in my car when I got it. I had to have the dealer mail it to me (bought the car 3.5 hours away) and then activate it myself, so whoever had the car for the first 10 months of its life must have kept the original for some reason.

I'll give them a call on Monday. Probably won't get a straight answer again, but I'll try.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is Audi dropping T-Mobile?