Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Renovall of A6 fuel cap insert

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Renovall of A6 fuel cap insert

Hi there

I've been having problems opening my fuel flap - pretty sure its the actuator (I've read lots of other posts on this issue!). I've been up to my local dealer this morning and picked up a new one together with the plastic insert/surround.

Anyway, I've tried to replace it this afternoon and have been trying to prize out the insert to get to the actuator using a flat head screwdriver and rag to try and protect the paintwork. Well, I can get the screw driver down the side but it doesn't seem to want to pop out. I've given it a good go and even managed to chip some of the paint of around the flap (arrrgh).. can anyone tell me if there is a knack to this? Is it just a case of getting the screwdriver down the side and forcing it to pop out? Should I try and get the screwdriver down the side of a specific area of the insert when trying to remove it?

Thanks
Old 01-14-2017, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are two bolts that hold that entire assembly in, on the bottom. On the replacement assembly, you'll see where these bolts go in. I'll wager that you can access these bolts from inside the vehicle, once you remove the sound proofing and trim. You'll need to use a ground strap for protection from static electricity while you're working in that area, unless you're okay with a possible ignition of fuel, and the subsequent possible explosion, or fire.