Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi electric steering issue reports consolidated..

Old 05-26-2013, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Now you have got me scared. I have a A6 coming Tuesday
Old 05-27-2013, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New A6

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
Now you have got me scared. I have a A6 coming Tuesday
Immediately take it out on the highway.

If it doesn't seem right, turn around & bring it back.

In fact, I'd insist on driving it BEFORE accepting delivery. Not all Audi dealerships have been as helpful as mine has been.

Good luck!
Old 06-02-2013, 07:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by larrycowan
Immediately take it out on the highway.

If it doesn't seem right, turn around & bring it back.

In fact, I'd insist on driving it BEFORE accepting delivery. Not all Audi dealerships have been as helpful as mine has been.

Good luck!
Unfortunately, most of the reports I've seen notice the problem after quite a few miles are on the vehicle... This is the one issue that is keeping me from closing the deal on an A6 right now. Really hoping to see a solution soon. My lease is up in October.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by xuesheng
Unfortunately, most of the reports I've seen notice the problem after quite a few miles are on the vehicle... This is the one issue that is keeping me from closing the deal on an A6 right now. Really hoping to see a solution soon. My lease is up in October.
When I picked up my A7 last November, I noticed it as soon as I hit the highway. it seems to be worse if you also have the Active Lane Assist feature. Drove an A6 loaner without it, and while ht problem was there, it was much less severe.

I finally got my '7 back after the Audi USA techs worked it over along with my dealer's guys. They did the steering rack replacement and lots of senor alignment work, and it's like driving a different car!

In general, I would say that Audi's electro-mechanical steering design is not great, not nearly at the same level as BMW say, in terms of road feel and precision. But the rest of the Audi package more than makes it up, and my car is at least now performing up to spec at this point. It's really a great car.

Good luck!
Old 03-25-2014, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I know this is a bit off, but my steering is super tough.
I just changed the pump because it was noisy and leaking a bit, but no change.
I have standard steering. I understand there are 3 types available, mine being the lowest.
Can I upgrade to the electronic steering and what would that take?
My wife won't drive the car because it hurts her shoulder to turn it at low speed.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Billrh
I know this is a bit off, but my steering is super tough.
I just changed the pump because it was noisy and leaking a bit, but no change.
I have standard steering. I understand there are 3 types available, mine being the lowest.
Can I upgrade to the electronic steering and what would that take?
My wife won't drive the car because it hurts her shoulder to turn it at low speed.
If you have a Q5, try posting in that forum. I doubt anyone here would advocate switching to electric from hydraulic steering even if it were possible and didn't cost a fortune. Besides, I don't think it would solve your problem - you have something else going on with the assisted steering system.

Last edited by snagitseven; 03-25-2014 at 06:22 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah after driving the Allroad loaner for a few days, long for that mechanical steering, it felt awesome.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by u2jrmw
Yeah after driving the Allroad loaner for a few days, long for that mechanical steering, it felt awesome.
Bone-stock is the way to go. Manual seats, manual transmission, and no power steering. I know that BMW sells the 3-series relatively close to spartan form. Does anyone know if the A3 will have electric steering? Sorry for the tangent?
Old 03-25-2014, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by in2dwww
Bone-stock is the way to go. Manual seats, manual transmission, and no power steering.
Unless you're driving an Elise or have the forearms of Popeye, I think you still want power steering. Perhaps you mean hydraulically-powered steering (vs. electrically-powered)?
Old 03-25-2014, 03:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Unless you're driving an Elise or have the forearms of Popeye, I think you still want power steering. Perhaps you mean hydraulically-powered steering (vs. electrically-powered)?
I was thinking: Porsche of the 1980's vintage. Good times.

I drove my A6 TDI through Mulholland this morning and I have no complaints about the steering. There's body roll, but I don't have the sport suspension. This is my highway cruiser. I would consider an S3 as a canyon carver, so I really hope it turns out to be a fun little car.

The electric power steering, to me, is laser guided. I have no qualms about electric steering performance.

/off-topic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audi electric steering issue reports consolidated..