Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi Pure Protection Plan

Old 10-15-2013, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Pure Protection Plan

I've been shopping the Audi Pure Protection Plan option since ordering my 2014 A6, but have a few questions.

I was quoted $3250+- directly through Audi for the 7 year/70,000 mile extended warranty plan. I've found another dealer that can offer the same protection plan for $1950+-.

The question I have is whether the standard 4 years/48000 mile warranty that comes with the vehicle covers everything bumper to bumper like the Platinum plan does?

I just wonder if I wait for a couple of years to purchase the Audi Pure Protection Plan - Platinum do I sacrifice the coverage of any components on/within the car?

If I don't, too me, I'd make sense to put that extra $2k towards the down payment on the car and buy the extended coverage a couple years down the road before the manufacturer warranty expires.

Thoughts?
Old 10-15-2013, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

None of the Audi Extended Warranties cover everything! Even Platinum has exclusions.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by keithl
None of the Audi Extended Warranties cover everything! Even Platinum has exclusions.
Agreed, not "everything" will be covered, but for the things that are under what I see defined (or not excluded) under the platinum plan, are those items the exact same things covered by the manufacturers warranty?

Asked differently, do I get more coverage during the first 4 years of ownership by purchasing the platinum coverage plan upfront versus waiting to purchase towards the end of 4 years?
Old 10-15-2013, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Shell4624
Agreed, not "everything" will be covered, but for the things that are under what I see defined (or not excluded) under the platinum plan, are those items the exact same things covered by the manufacturers warranty?

Asked differently, do I get more coverage during the first 4 years of ownership by purchasing the platinum coverage plan upfront versus waiting to purchase towards the end of 4 years?
No and the manf warranty already covers more things than the Platinum policy that I've seen which will not cover, I.e, all the radar based systems like HUD, Side Assist, lane assist, cameras, ACC, etc. Check the Platinum agreement carefully. Neither will cover wear or maintenance items such as tires, alignments, brakes, scheduled maintenance, etc. Also, I believe there's a deductible for each warranty covered incident on the extended plans which, of course, does not exist on the manf warranty.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:44 PM
Banned

I would pass.

Why would you want to extend the warranty by 20k miles when you'd effectively be paying 9.75 cents per mile? And you won't get to 50k for a few years anyway, so why spend that money now?

If you end up having glitches with the car, it would be in the first year and the dealer would work with you under the regular warranty at no cost.

The extended warranty only works out if you turn the car into a garage queen... and have issues 6 years later. You'll have low miles but a ton of issues if the car sits.

The best advice I got was when I took delivery of a VW TDI. I asked about the break-in period and the sweet Southern Belle sales lady simply said "Honey, just drive." She was absolutely correct. 115k miles and not a single issue. That was a 2010 Jetta!
Old 10-15-2013, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Here you go. Read the last line:

"Under Platinum coverage the follwing components are excluded: Brake linings, brake drums and rotors, disc brake pads, standard transmission clutch components, air bags, solar powered devices, hinges, glass, lenses, sealed beams, trim, moldings, door handles, lock cylinders, tires, wheels, batteries, light bulbs, upholstery, paint, bright metal, freeze plugs, heater and radiator hoses, exhaust system, shock absorbers, audio, security or other systems not factory installed, work such as front-end alignment or wheel balancing, constant velocity joint boots, safety restraint systems, cellular phones, electronic transmitting devices (except for those specifically listed under Silver, Gold, or Gold Plus coverage), radar detectors, appliances, near object avoidance systems and all laser radar cruise control components, vinyl and convertible tops."

Add the the $2800 each LED modules to those and a good percentage of the tech is excluded.

Last edited by snagitseven; 10-15-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Here is what mine says:

UNDER PLATINUM COVERAGE, ANY OF THE FOLLOWING PARTS: BRAKE LININGS, BRAKE DRUMS AND ROTORS,DISC BRAKE PADS, STANDARD TRANSMISSION CLUTCH COMPONENTS AND ASSEMBLIES, AIR BAGS, SOLAR POWERED DEVICES, HINGES, GLASS, LENSES, SEALED BEAMS, BODY PARTS AND/OR PANELS, TRIM, MOLDINGS, DOOR HANDLES, LOCK CYLINDERS, TIRES, WHEELS, ALL BATTERIES EXCEPT HYBRID/EV/HIGH VOLTAGE
BATTERIES AS LISTED UNDER SILVER COVERAGE PLAN, LIGHT BULBS, UPHOLSTERY, PAINT, BRIGHT METAL, FREEZE PLUGS, HEATER AND RADIATOR HOSES, EXHAUST SYSTEM, SHOCK ABSORBERS, AUDIO/SECURITY OR OTHER SYSTEMS NOT FACTORY INSTALLED, WORK SUCH AS FRONT-END ALIGNMENT OR WHEEL BALANCING, CONSTANT VELOCITY JOINT BOOTS, SAFETY RESTRAINT SYSTEMS, CELLULAR PHONES, RADAR DETECTORS,
APPLIANCES, OR VINYL AND CONVERTIBLE TOPS;
Old 10-15-2013, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

By default manufacturer's warranty is the best coverage, period. No other third party coverage can meet the extent of the coverage warranted by a manufacturer.

Now the question is if the extended warranty s/b purchased that will kick in after 4/50K. My answer is yes. One small repair can pay off the purchase price paid for this warranty.

Platinum coverage is pretty solid. Although it may not cover radars etc., it covers basically a lot other components. As far as LED headlights, I would argue that it is not "light bulb". It is an integral part of our vehicles that is designed for the life of the car (so as engine and transmission). It is essential for a safety and a car is inopperable safely without headlights.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

The more I read the Audi extended warranty the more I am going to cancel it. Only problem I have right now is getting dealer to fix the paperwork, they put my order date on all th paperwork, not the delivery/pickup date so everything makes it look like I had the car 2 months more than I did.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Wow, so it sounds like the consensus is that the extended coverage isn't really warranted.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audi Pure Protection Plan