Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Instrument cluster lens

Old 07-03-2014, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Instrument cluster lens

It has been quite some time since I have mentioned this nasty aspect of my A6 – the swirl marks on the instrument cluster. In the shade or winter sun the lens looks crystal clear. But get the summer sun low over the driver’s left shoulder and the lens comes to life with what appear to be zillions of scratches and swirls. I had the opportunity to drive a Hyundai Accent this past weekend for over 800 miles and the most impressive thing about it was a crystal clear instrument lens in all sunlight conditions. Sometimes in my A6 I feel like I am driving a 20-yr old crap box because of this issue. Anyone else notice this? The instrument cluster is so cool looking 90% of the time (especially at night) and then in summer at 4 PM or so heading north, I can’t even see the time, miles, etc. at the bottom – just a greyish mass of swirls and scratches – ugh!
Old 07-03-2014, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Every Audi I have ever had - I have the same problem. Amazing how the VW touareg manages to use scratch resistant glass (with a nice anti glare coating as well) whilst the 'premium' brand Audi uses this crap plastic.

I clean the cluster lens with only microfiber and Plexus and it still manages to look like crap.

Maybe one day they will spend the extra few cents for either higher quality plastic, or a glass type product.

Still a great car, just a few things I think holding it back from leading the class.

Last edited by MCRN; 07-03-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by josh Prieur
Every Audi I have ever had - I have the same problem. Amazing how the VW touareg manages to use scratch resistant glass (with a nice anti glare coating as well) whilst the 'premium' brand Audi uses this crap plastic.

I clean the cluster lens with only microfiber and Plexus and it still manages to look like crap.

Maybe one day they will spend the extra few cents for either higher quality plastic, or a glass type product.

Still a great car, just a few things I think holding it back from leading the class.
I could be wrong but the 2010 A6 I had did have glass. At least that is what the dealer told me. There is an interesting thread in the A7 section , they're having the same problem and there is a write-up of the issue from an engineering or chemistry perspective.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the screen on a new A6. Pretty pathetic if you ask me!! Has anyone had any luck in cleaning these screens w/o scratching them up?

Old 07-11-2014, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ that looks to be damaged from the cleaning products you are using. Try a high quality microfiber towel and cleaning agent. Look up Detailers Domain (www.detailersdomain.com). Use Coupon Code "AUDI" for 10% off as well.

I do agree that the lens scratch easily, but it can be mitigated with correct tools to do the job.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NoahWeb
^^^ that looks to be damaged from the cleaning products you are using.

I do agree that the lens scratch easily, but it can be mitigated with correct tools to do the job.
This sadly was done 100% at the dealership...
Old 07-11-2014, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

My cleaning process for the instrument cluster:
1) lightly dust with a new "Swiffer" duster
2) buff with microfibre cloth using eye glasses cleaner
3) Don't let anyone else touch the car

I've been doing this for years with excellent results.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Mine looks good 90%+ of the time using your approach. I've never used anything harsh. It is only when the sun hits it low, bright and over the driver's left shoulder that the swirls and scratches appear. At other times it is crystal clear looking. All winter long it looks great, then comes summer- ugh!
Check yours out in the situation I described vis-a-vis the sun angle and you may be surprised. Maybe not - then you're lucky. I am considering not getting an Audi next time because of this issue - seriously. The two cheapo rentals I have had since my recent deer hit do not have this problem and they cost under $20K - kinda sad that Audi is lame on this issue. They could cure it with a deeper hood over the cluster, because even now, the upper part of the instrument lens that is "in the shade" stays clear looking, as PBPhantom's photo shows. The scratches at the bottom of the lens disappear once that part of the lens is in the shade - very strange.

Last edited by irenesbob; 07-11-2014 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

A rather lengthy post from the A7 board where folks are having the same problem:

"Without getting overly technical, injection molded plastic has an internal structure similar to crystals called a polymer. The surface of the molded part is perfectly smooth, but in a clear (un-tinted) piece when strong light hits it sideways, the boundaries between these crystal like particles act like mirrors and reflect some of the light. It truly looks like scratches on the surface, but they are not and can not be polished out.

Take any clear acrylic box out to the sun, move it around a bit and you will see the exact same phenomena.

Here is a little more detailed explanation:

"Molecular Arrangement of Polymers.

Think of how spaghetti noodles look on a plate. This is similar to how polymers can be arranged if they are amorphous. An amorphous arrangement of molecules has no long-range order or form in which the polymer chains arrange themselves. Amorphous polymers are generally transparent. This is an important characteristic for many applications such as food wrap, PlexiglasTM, headlights, and contact lenses. Controlling and quenching the polymerization process can result in amorphous organization.

Obviously, not all polymers are transparent. The polymer chains in objects that are translucent and opaque are in a more crystalline arrangement. By definition a crystalline arrangement has atoms, ions, or in this case, molecules in a distinct pattern. You generally think of crystalline structures in salt and gemstones, but not in plastics. Just as quenching can produce amorphous arrangements, processing can control the degree of crystallinity. The higher the degree of crystallinity, the less light can pass through the polymer. Therefore, the degree of translucence or opaqueness of the polymer is directly affected by its crystallinity.

Engineers are always producing better materials by manipulating the molecular structure that affects the final polymer produced. Manufacturers and processors introduce various fillers, reinforcements, and additives into the base polymers to expand product possibilities."

So don't blame Audi for the inherent physical characteristics of plastics. Any other make/model of a car will exhibit the same. The only way to overcome this would be to use glass."

I still blame Audi - use non shattering glass or have a deeper hood over the instrument cluster like the Hyundai Accent!

Last edited by irenesbob; 07-11-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NABS4
My cleaning process for the instrument cluster:
1) lightly dust with a new "Swiffer" duster
2) buff with microfibre cloth using eye glasses cleaner
3) Don't let anyone else touch the car

I've been doing this for years with excellent results.
#3 is spot on. My dealer knows to never wash my vehicles for any service visit. Ever.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Instrument cluster lens