Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi Top View retrofit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IknowHuhA6
You're such a buzz kill LOL. But I do agree with the fact that this isn't some easy mod and for people who frequent and depend on their dealers for work, probably best to wait and upgrade cars. Any mod done to a car, especially these with so many electronics can increase risk of breaking. These are expensive cars to fix if there's failure.
I personally don't have any worry about failures as I'm skilled enough to bounce back. I'll probably have to borrow money from someone on forum though for my repairs.

But good point for those new to Audi or unfamiliar with risks and experience of modding.
No, SubterFUSE is just being realistic and honest. He certainly is not afraid of mods - look at the audio system he has upgraded. And I agree with him - sure the mods can be done but it would be cheaper / more cost effective to trade in your car and get one that has the camera.

Sure you like to tinker, that is fine. Apparently you like to burn money too Maybe you would have more fun making a big bonfire with 5000 one dollar bills instead of this mod But whatever makes you happy - it is your money. People are just pointing out there is a cheaper and better way to do this
Old 05-30-2015, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick61
No, SubterFUSE is just being realistic and honest. He certainly is not afraid of mods - look at the audio system he has upgraded. And I agree with him - sure the mods can be done but it would be cheaper / more cost effective to trade in your car and get one that has the camera.

Sure you like to tinker, that is fine. Apparently you like to burn money too Maybe you would have more fun making a big bonfire with 5000 one dollar bills instead of this mod But whatever makes you happy - it is your money. People are just pointing out there is a cheaper and better way to do this
I understand and not critisizing, but don't read into things either. I never specified anybody was afraid of modding, my statement was to acknowledge not everybody is mechanically inclined or interested like many people I know myself. However I could be mistaken myself on the math. My joy of modding aside, I don't see how throwing away all my previous car payments to restart financing another car is cheaper than a 3K mod. Restarting a new finance contract seems like more money burned to me but I'm no accounting major. . I'll swing by dealer and check this theory out this coming weekend.
I'm sure there are instances where one solution over the other is better depending on the individual's situation.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by TheHeadFL
What about sourcing the parts from a wrecked car? I'm sure there are eBay companies that sell salvaged Audi parts...
Yeah I thought about that but parts will be harder to find, and biggest problem is the vendor kits already come with all these parts so we'd be paying double. Need to isolate what program update is necessary first. At least until someone figures out all the pieces necessary. Once we know what exactly is needed, then I'd think we can source at junkyard and not have to buy the entire kit. Hopefully soon.

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
I'm just the voice of truth and logic.

Even if you perform all of the installation yourself, you still have to get the Audi dealer to align the cameras. That procedure costs about $1000. I'm not making this up. My wife drove our new A8 into a brick wall trying to park it. I got a quote to repair the bumper. To perform the repair, the bumper had to be removed. Part of the repair quote was $1000 for the Audi dealer to re-calibrate the surround camera system because removing the front bumper was going to require that procedure afterward.

Needless to say, we have an A8 with a scuffed front bumper. I decided against the repairs due to the expense.
That is interesting, good to know I was not aware. So as I learn more and if this is the case that more cost is involved than I would have to agree that it's a very expensive mod. I'm typically used to mods sold by vendors not requiring extra expensive needs such as alignments. So I'll post more when I get more info. I'm sure we'd all like to know the facts in the end.
Thanks for the extra info. This is exactly why I like posting, to share and learn more information.

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 05-30-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by IknowHuhA6
That is interesting, good to know I was not aware. So as I learn more and if this is the case that more cost is involved than I would have to agree that it's a very expensive mod. I'm typically used to mods sold by vendors not requiring extra expensive needs such as alignments. So I'll post more when I get more info. I'm sure we'd all like to know the facts in the end.
Thanks for the extra info. This is exactly why I like posting, to share and learn more information.

The calibration procedure is a ripoff, no doubt. It requires a specialized set of tools that only the dealership will have, and I think it takes a fair amount of time to setup. The alignment tools include a set of markers that must the placed on the ground as specific distances, and there might even be some laser alignment tools. It's been over a year since I read the Audi Repair manual that showed the alignment toolkit, so my memory is fuzzy. I do remember looking at the pics of the procedure and saying to myself: "Dang, who would have thought this was so complicated?"

My real concern about all of this is whether or not these parts, after being added and aligned, would be under warranty? Part of me would think yes, because they would be OEM parts. But another part of me says no, because Audi might not be installing them? That's a question worth knowing the answer to, I think.

I don't have the top view on my S6, but I really wish that I did. It's such a cool feature on our A8. But there's just no way I would be able to stomach the expense of adding them aftermarket. Cost vs. benefit.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so...just out of curiosity, were you able to retrofit the top view camera?
Old 10-08-2015, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by agjil
so...just out of curiosity, were you able to retrofit the top view camera?
I still have not yet started this mod as there's alot of questions I still need answered. Plus I've been distracted with other mods that have been falling in my lap. Yay Toys!= )

I've seen couple other posts of people claiming this retrofit was done but when I asked for clarification they were not very forthcoming with sharing what they did. They were only interested in asking for help but not providing it.

I Just bought the VagCom this week finally. Now researching if I need to buy other component controllers.

Items i'm still waiting for at reasonable price are:
1. Side View mirrors with Cameras (in correct paint)
2. Front Camera (with correct Audi Wiring, NOT aftermarket)
3. Front Camera wiring back to controller under passenger front seat
4. Rear camera (apparently different for top view than non top view system)
5. More information before I tear my car apart.

Sorry, patience is a virtue, and anything worth doing is worth doing correct.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the update, great to hear you're still into it.
I don't know anything about mods so unfortunately I can't be of any help, but I really do hope you get it done one day!
Old 10-09-2015, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Note that side mirror housings are only available unpainted - you would have to take them to a body shop to have them painted to match the car.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by agjil
Thanks for the update, great to hear you're still into it.
I don't know anything about mods so unfortunately I can't be of any help, but I really do hope you get it done one day!
Yes I'm determined so hang in there and either me or someone else will post a successful upgrade. I have every intention of getting this done. This mod just takes more parts and more money to complete. Need to find out if I need to add or replace any door/mirror controllers and if I need to install the under seat unit or possibly already there.

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Note that side mirror housings are only available unpainted - you would have to take them to a body shop to have them painted to match the car.
Thanks for the heads-up Snagit. Looking for used mirrors first to keep the cost down. Especially for first trial install in case something goes wrong. Based on other posts about side mirror motors slowing or failing, figured I'd prolong the larger expense of new side mirrors until the motor completely fails.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Aren't the side mirror housing that need to be changed only the bottom part of the mirrors, for which the color is the same (dark gray/black) regardless of what the body color is?

Quick Reply: Audi Top View retrofit?