Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audio Upgrade - Phase 2

Old 05-23-2015, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio Upgrade - Phase 2

So two years ago, I upgraded the sub, amp, and added the Audio Control LCQ-1 for OEM integration, six channel signal processor and equalizer. here is the thread on that:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...grade-2848359/

Well recently the one channel of the amp went and took two of my factory speakers with it. Thankfully the amp was under warranty - so no cost to replace it. When I looked at replacing the 2 speakers, it presented a new upgrade opportunity. And I took it to upgrade the front speakers to Hertz HSK 165 Hi-Energy speakers. And I moved from a passive setup to active. I had loved the sound from my initial upgrade which blew away the sound IMO in the Bose or B&O systems I had heard in the A6. But with my new upgrade - OMG, it is a whole new world. The clarity is amazing, the power superb, and separation terrific. I am hearing some sounds in some songs I have never heard before

So what I have now is the following:

Front set of speakers - Hertz HSK 165 Hi-Energy
Rear speakers - still factory
Subwoofer - DLS OA10D Subwoofer
Amp - JL XD 700/5 amp driving all of the front speakers and the subwoofer
Amp - factory installed amp driving the rear speakers
Integration, signal processor and equalizer - Audio Control LCQ-1
Dynamatted - rear deck and both front doors

An excellent investment
Old 05-23-2015, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Maverick61
So two years ago, I upgraded the sub, amp, and added the Audio Control LCQ-1 for OEM integration, six channel signal processor and equalizer. here is the thread on that:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...grade-2848359/

Well recently the one channel of the amp went and took two of my factory speakers with it. Thankfully the amp was under warranty - so no cost to replace it. When I looked at replacing the 2 speakers, it presented a new upgrade opportunity. And I took it to upgrade the front speakers to Hertz HSK 165 Hi-Energy speakers. And I moved from a passive setup to active. I had loved the sound from my initial upgrade which blew away the sound IMO in the Bose or B&O systems I had heard in the A6. But with my new upgrade - OMG, it is a whole new world. The clarity is amazing, the power superb, and separation terrific. I am hearing some sounds in some songs I have never heard before

So what I have now is the following:

Front set of speakers - Hertz HSK 165 Hi-Energy
Rear speakers - still factory
Subwoofer - DLS OA10D Subwoofer
Amp - JL XD 700/5 amp driving all of the front speakers and the subwoofer
Amp - factory installed amp driving the rear speakers
Integration, signal processor and equalizer - Audio Control LCQ-1
Dynamatted - rear deck and both front doors

An excellent investment
What is the totalcost of the upgrade? I find the Bose speakers not much better than the standard from my previous 2012 model. I think the sun would be my priority if I do upgrade anything in terms of sound system.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Inyoury
What is the totalcost of the upgrade? I find the Bose speakers not much better than the standard from my previous 2012 model. I think the sun would be my priority if I do upgrade anything in terms of sound system.
Well I did it in pieces - so I can't recall for sure. I had bought the sub on my own and had the shop install it with an amp and the Audio Control unit in round 1 - which I think was around $1000 plus another 250 for the sub I paid for myself. That was a few years ago. This round, the speakers were around 600 plus installation

I had the base system in the car - not Bose, because I knew i would upgrade it. I think your best bet is take it in to these guys and just get a quote, ask them their recommendation or tell them what budget you have to work with

Innovative Auto Works | Innovative Auto Works

T.J is the President / Owner there - good guy. Feel free to mention me
Old 05-25-2015, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Sweet man.

Next upgrade, phase 3 = DSP
Old 05-25-2015, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks. I think I will most likely add a better sub. Seems the Bose lack some base.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Any reputable shop in central NJ that can do this with a reasonable price? Btw, I'm using Viper4android FX and it did wake up the system a little bit.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Love the JL XD 700/5, I have that in another car running my whole system. I only wish it had a little more power on the sub channel, so I ended up running a 2 ohm sub on that system. (Sealed JL 10w3v3-2)

I'm thinking of doing something similar to my A6 because the factory Bose system is just pathetic, IMO. I'm curious, reading your original thread, was that original amp running your other speakers as well? I guess they were just the factory speakers? (Are they just standard 4 ohm speakers?)
Old 06-03-2015, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by TheHeadFL
Love the JL XD 700/5, I have that in another car running my whole system. I only wish it had a little more power on the sub channel, so I ended up running a 2 ohm sub on that system. (Sealed JL 10w3v3-2)

I'm thinking of doing something similar to my A6 because the factory Bose system is just pathetic, IMO. I'm curious, reading your original thread, was that original amp running your other speakers as well? I guess they were just the factory speakers? (Are they just standard 4 ohm speakers?)
In the original upgrade, I had the JL XD 600/6 amp powering the sub I replaced plus the other original audi speakers . The JL XD 600/6 amp went bad, took 2 of the Audi speakers with it and was replaced under warranty by the JL XD 700/5 -and then I upgraded the front speakers as well

So after the initial upgrade the factory amp was there but not powering any speakers - now it is back just powering the rear speakers with the JL XD 700/5 powering the fronts and the subwoofer
Old 06-13-2016, 05:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Maverick, I have the A7 and would like to upgrade the front speakers to hertz and a new sub. I see the bose amp in the back of the car, how do you know which one is the wire for the front skeakers? so you use the JL XD amp to drive the front speakers and the subwoofer, the rest just connect to the stock amp? which wire do you use as the signal input to the LCi converter, front speaker or the subwoofer wire? Thanks.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Maverick, you recommend that I take the car to Innovative Auto Works but you don't have your location in your avatar info. I clicked on the link and it's more than 2000 miles from me so I think that your info may be an issue, particularly for the readers based in other countries. Location in posts is still very important to this world wide audience.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audio Upgrade - Phase 2