Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi's in-car LTE from AT&T will cost at least $16 a month

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Picking nits, but the AT&T 4G "deal" actually works out $16.63 per GB. ($499 / 30 months). There have been some reports in the past of the unlimited T-Mobile plan throttling the speed back at some usage point but I can't say I've experienced that myself.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:02 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
I believe the T-Mobile deal is $450 for 30 months of *unlimited* data usage vs the AT&T "deal" for 30GB spread over 30 months. $16/GB is not competitive in today's market.
That's outrageous crap from AT&T, but it figures - given Moore's Law and all.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Picking nits, but the AT&T 4G "deal" actually works out $16.63 per GB. ($499 / 30 months).
I'll take that slap fair and square as Mr. Nitpicker myself , but in that same spirit I'll also point out that I didn't say the AT&T deal was $16/GB, just that $16/GB wasn't competitive . $16.63/GB isn't either
Old 03-11-2014, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by u2jrmw
Quite the opposite. I want to use the data plan I already pay for. Audi doesn't get my money for Connect today, this kind of offer won't change that.

By the way Audi has got 100s of thousands of my dollars already.
Audi doesn't get your money for Connect, T-Mobile does. My point was, regardless of what Audi supplies, you're going to be paying somebody for data. If you can add to your existing plan, that will cost you, plus you'll be using more data, that will cost you. See where this is going? If Audi just put a slot on the dash you could plug your phone into, you're still going to be paying somebody for use of that slot.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

I have confirmed from Audi Connect customer service that the current T-mobile 3G service is throttled after 1GB per month.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by u2jrmw
You are starting from the premise that the current deal is reasonable. I wonder what percentage of owners sign up for that service.
I did, but honestly I am ok, but not thrilled with the price, but considering $450 on a $65K car i can swallow it. For the LTE on the A3 the extra cost comes with a 30GB cap. Which if you utilize the the in car hot spot can eat up pretty quick. Also the A3 tops out just over $40K so that coin to that buyer might be harder to swallow, but the target buyer is likely a millennial techie so they figure they will want the tech.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lgball
I have confirmed from Audi Connect customer service that the current T-mobile 3G service is throttled after 1GB per month.
Hmm, wonder what TMobile say, and at their slow 3G speeds can't see the data cap being reached, I doubt anyone is using the in car hot spot, way too slow, I got it for the online destinations. Also go ask GM what On Star costs, I believe it was $16 a month and that was a few years back. Infiniti's On Star like service is considerably more as well.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by keithl
Hmm, wonder what TMobile say, and at their slow 3G speeds can't see the data cap being reached, I doubt anyone is using the in car hot spot, way too slow, I got it for the online destinations. Also go ask GM what On Star costs, I believe it was $16 a month and that was a few years back. Infiniti's On Star like service is considerably more as well.
I easily use 2GB per month streaming Google Play Music. Havent noticed it throttling though.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDawg
I easily use 2GB per month streaming Google Play Music. Havent noticed it throttling though.
Bluetooth Audio streaming doesn't use the T-Mobile data for Audi Connect. It uses your phone's data plan through Bluetooth directly to the MMI.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Bluetooth Audio streaming doesn't use the T-Mobile data for Audi Connect. It uses your phone's data plan through Bluetooth directly to the MMI.
I tell my phone to use in car WiFi for streaming music and send to the car via Bluetooth. It works, but T-mobile's coverage isn't that great once you are outside the city limit.

Quick Reply: Audi's in-car LTE from AT&T will cost at least $16 a month