Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Automatic Door Locking

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic Door Locking

The A6 will automatically lock all doors and the trunk when the car has gone over 15 kph (9 mph). Is there a way to disable the automatic locking?

Apparently in the S6 (because of a misplaced post), the MMI has a switch that will turn the feature on and off. In my MMI (2013 A6), there is no such option.

This used to happen in my 2002 Passat and I had the dealership disable it. I do not want my doors to lock unless I want them to be locked.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

There is a setting for this in my MMI.
I have a my2014 European A6 Avant.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BigSwede
There is a setting for this in my MMI.
I have a my2014 European A6 Avant.
Not in my MMI (2013 A6 2.0T). Apparently in a S6. Would prefer to be able to turn it on/off vai MMI but it looks like it would have tobe done my a mechanic. Not sure why it would be available in Europe or in the S6 but not in the NA A6.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TheNit
The A6 will automatically lock all doors and the trunk when the car has gone over 15 kph (9 mph). Is there a way to disable the automatic locking?

Apparently in the S6 (because of a misplaced post), the MMI has a switch that will turn the feature on and off. In my MMI (2013 A6), there is no such option.

This used to happen in my 2002 Passat and I had the dealership disable it. I do not want my doors to lock unless I want them to be locked.
I don't understand the issue, are you trying to get in and out of the car while you drive? Once stopped you just lift the Handel and your out, no unlocking involved. At least your safer when you come to a stop say at a light, no one can just jump in on you.????
Old 08-06-2013, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Not sure why it would be available in Europe or in the S6 but not in the NA A6.
Many of the MMI functions are designed into the car "at birth" but not enabled for US-bound cars. Usually, unless you are asking for something that violates our zillions of laws and reg's, the dealer (or someone skilled with Vag Com) can enable a lot of things. There are a number of posts about this on this site.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by denvig
I don't understand the issue, are you trying to get in and out of the car while you drive? Once stopped you just lift the Handel and your out, no unlocking involved. At least your safer when you come to a stop say at a light, no one can just jump in on you.????
It's a personal preference. My problem is if you are in a crash or in any kind of distress (heart attack?), the doors remain locked unless the airbag is deployed. Rescuers could not open the doors to get you out if you are incapacitated.

No one is likely to attempt entry of my car when the car is moving so why does it need to be locked when moving? It's not like it will prevent kids from opening the door while driving because, as you say, they only have to pull the handle and it unlocks.

If I don't like the neighbourhood that I'm driving through, I can lock all of the doors with the main switch. I haven't heard of anybody being carjacked in my area.

It's also a nuisance when I drop someone off at a store, drive around the parking lot until they are finished and have to unlock the door to let them back in because I went more than 15 kph.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not like it will prevent kids from opening the door while driving because, as you say, they only have to pull the handle and it unlocks.
I don't think that is true. When the car is in motion I don't believe the doors will unlock and open.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mwar99
I don't think that is true. When the car is in motion I don't believe the doors will unlock and open.
On my ride home today I did a little experimenting. When driving at about 25 mph I opened the drivers door without unlocking first, so the doors will open when the car is in motion. I also noticed that this caused all the doors to unlock until I came to a complete stop and started to go again and then the doors automatically re-locked.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

It just seems like there should be a setting via Vagcomm for the speed at which the doors lock.
Anyone recall seeing a setting for that?
Next time I fire up my Vagcomm I will take a look.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The automatic door locking feature when passing the 9 MPH mark has been a much-appreciated convenience in all my VWs since the '99 models. Any passenger upon arrival may then pull the door handle twice, to first unlock, then open, their door.

Child-proof locks are quite another feature, and not related to the question here.

I find that, strangely enough, my used 2003 A4 will NOT lock the doors when starting out. A passage in the Owner's Manual states, "The automatic locking feature locks all the vehicle doors and the rear lid when you drive faster than 8 MPH (13 KPH)."

Further down this section, it states, "If you wish, you can have an Authorized Audi Dealer convert your door lock system to automatic locking." I assume from reading other posts that the dealer accomplishes this conversion using the VAG-COM device?

I am taking my vehicle to an independent Audi dealer Monday for the 90K servicing. Am I correct in believing that this dealer, who employs an Audi Master Tech, and who uses the VAG-COM, can accomplish this conversion for me?
[/SIZE]

Quick Reply: Automatic Door Locking