Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Is bang and olufsen worth it

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my '12 A6 a week ago and I think the B&O is spectacular. Could maybe use a just a little more low end push but, like most quality a/v systems, it responds well to quality input. I mostly stream audio at the highest bitrates I can find, and those sound really, really good, especially if you pick something that was recorded really well (Steely Dan etc.). I like a lot of different music, and rock, metal, pop all sound very good. Rap and hip hop could benefit from a little more bass if you really want that boom.

Plus everyone loves the speakers that pop up out of the dash.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SamLV
I grew up an audiophile of a stripe and did a couple dozen custom installs of systems over the years. I'm ok with the Bose surround set to front adjusting bass and treble, just for now. When I heard the B&O it is far more crisp but absolutely not worth $6K. For that coin, I could go nuts aftermarket and shake the rear window loose. It is mystifying why the sound controls via MMI do not provide a full EQ option or at least five adjustments. I also noticed the tweeters are weak and if left at defaults the poor Bose sounds like mud. That being said, who cares at 100?
Yea, I agree. I was lucky in that when I bought my Premium Plus, it also had the base audio option besides the Bose and B&O. I went with the base system, upgraded it and for less than a third of the cost of the B&O system, I have a system than far surpasses the B&O and Bose options.

But you need to find a good installer who knows what they are doing
Old 09-02-2014, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the B&O in my Q5 as it is only a $600+/- option so that was a no brainer. I have never really went crazy on the volume, but I would say at this time it does not sound $6500 better then my bose system in my A6. However some audiophiles on this forum find the cost is justified and I can't argue with that. Personally I am with some of the other members here who say they can build a system far better for less. I think I could do the same as well and make it pretty sweet. I am still thinking about installing the sub upgrade myself, but have not done it yet.

I would love tweeters that pop up on the dash, but I figure the MMI screen, needle sweep, steering wheel drop, and mirrors unfolding already make my car cool at start up.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:56 AM
RTG
Audiworld Junior Member

Nobody can say what something is worth to somebody else. To do so is narcissistic.

I have B&O and to me it's worth every penny. Given the chance I would buy it again.

The A6 is so quiet that I can hear a pin drop while driving. Now add the clearest sound system I have ever heard in a vehicle and it's a perfect fit.

Rap will only play in my car if I'm dead and my A6 was stolen. But if you are playing music (LOL) B&O is clear, clean and brakes like glass. No feedback, even loud. Listening to rock I can clearly hear the lyrics, which I was never able to do in my previous, upgraded, sound systems.

Good luck and buy what you want. But don't say what something is worth to me, only I know that.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Bose and have yet to hear the B&O. But I own a $15K DJ system and have been in a few bands. I know a clear crisp sound when I hear it. It's my opinion the Bose lacks in a few areas. 1) It doesn't have a Mid control (this is a huge downer for me. scooping out the mids brings the highs and lows to life in any system). 2) The wattage lacks. (I keep the highs and lows at 12 O'clock and that gives the best overall sound for most music) raising the highs and lows beyond that muddies the tone dramatically making for no usable headroom of the amp. In a nut shell that means the bass sucks, and the lack of mid scoop makes the high highs unusable. That said....It's a car, and It's still better than "most stock automobile audio systems".

I have a good feeling I know what the B&O sounds like from all the descriptions I've heard here and have to agree with RTG...If you like music to be loud and clear and not break up when cranked...happen to have an extra 6k floating around....then the B&O just might be worth every penny to you.

Last edited by Janello; 09-02-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Related to this thread, here is a mostly meaningless, non-scientific poll on the subject. Interestingly, the total yesses vs. the nos are about equal which further proves that someone posing the question of whether or not the B&O is worth it cannot be answered by asking others for their opinion. Me? My favorite color is quartz gray. Yours may differ.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...-poll-2856725/
Old 09-03-2014, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Me? My favorite color is quartz gray. Yours may differ.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...-poll-2856725/
Obviously, you are mistaken: grey is not a color
Old 09-03-2014, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
Obviously, you are mistaken: grey is not a color
Further proving my point.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

This thread is a very enjoyable read and should be considered an Audiworld classic. Snagitseven should make it a sticky.

This "worth it" question is completely subjective, and unanswerable. But it's great to see all of the varied opinions. I think if you say it is not worth it because you can get something more economical for less in the aftermarket or elsewhere, you have completely missed the point. By that definition, the entire car is not worth it. One has many options for an awd sedan from other manufactures that are less expensive. The features and feel that make the A6 "worth it" are all basically subjective just like the BO upgrade.

I tip my hat to all those that upgrade to the BO stereo. I admire your passion. Enjoy!
Old 09-04-2014, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Further proving my point.
The conclusion of the discussion is that some things are objective and some are subjective. B&O or Bose is best, is an opinion, Grey not being a color is a fact of science not an opinion.
It gets further complicated when Folks discuss whether David Gray sings the Blues or not.

Quick Reply: Is bang and olufsen worth it