Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Is bang and olufsen worth it

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
The conclusion of the discussion is that some things are objective and some are subjective. B&O or Bose is best, is an opinion, Grey not being a color is a fact of science not an opinion.
Grey is indeed a color as described in this example (there are other references also available).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey
Also, Audi includes quartz gray, ice silver and the various whites and blacks as "exterior color" options on their website and literature, so for the purposes of this discussion (in an Audi forum), gray and the other monochromatic colors can all be factually referenced as such.

Well, I'm about to depart in my colorful A6 while cranking up my indisputably superior B&O audio system and will leave this topic behind for others to subjectively "opinionize".
Old 09-04-2014, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Grey is indeed a color as described in this example (there are other references also available).
Grey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, Audi includes quartz gray, ice silver and the various whites and blacks as "exterior color" options on their website and literature, so for the purposes of this discussion (in an Audi forum), gray and the other monochromatic colors can all be factually referenced as such.

Well, I'm about to depart in my colorful A6 while cranking up my indisputably superior B&O audio system and will leave this topic behind for others to subjectively "opinionize".
While you listen to your opined superior tunes and I continue to factualize the content, I must include the following except from your previous reference in Wikipedia:

The substance that composes the brain is sometimes referred to as grey matter, or "the little grey cells", so the color grey is associated with things intellectual. However, the living human brain is actually pink in color; it only turns grey when dead.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Even though my family has B&O at home for over 30 years I probably would not order it for the car but I got a very good deal. I tested B&O and Bose back to back and the difference is not worth the price premium, but I can't complain what I have and a very happy camper.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Silent Drone
This "worth it" question is completely subjective, and unanswerable. But it's great to see all of the varied opinions. I think if you say it is not worth it because you can get something more economical for less in the aftermarket or elsewhere, you have completely missed the point. By that definition, the entire car is not worth it.
Ummm - you completely contradict yourself all in the same paragraph. On one hand you say "This "worth it" question is completely subjective, and unanswerable" yet you then say those who say it is not worth it have missed the point.

You cant have it both ways.

People are simply giving their opinions. Mine is that in looking at worth, you can install a better system using aftermarket components for less - which to me makes the B&O not worth it.

To others, they don't want to go thru that hassle and to them spending the extra $6K for the B&O to get the best Audi has to offer makes it worth it.

I do not see anyone who says it is not worth it missing the point. Actually they are making the point why to them it is not worth it
Old 09-07-2014, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having being a lifetime Naim guy I can say I know good sound, both analog and digital. With lossless recordings it stands up to the test but with the law of diminishing returns it harder to get to that last pinnacle. It's a personal choice but I would and have opted for the upgrade.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Bose. I Don't think is anything spectacular, but is OK. Yesterday I was given a loaner with the B&O. There is a huge difference. The main thing I noticed was presence. The cabin was filled with audio presence. I could hear the full audio ranges from every angle. There is an amazing difference.

That being said, is the cost worth it? If the best OEM equipment is what you want, go with the B&O. If it doesn't really matter or you would upgrade, choose the stock or Bose.

I have always had audio enhancements in my vehicles. In this A6 I may have some work done to the Bose. I bought mine CPO with 700 miles on it so I Bose was my only option. If I had the choice I would go with the B&O.
Attached Images   
Old 10-01-2014, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had great difficulty finding an Audi with B&O just to test it out. The only A6 cars that have it are custom ordered. I did find an RS7 at Reading Audi (PA) that had it and I was able to sample it. The performance was outstanding and was from a DVD that Audi supplies from B&O. I have B&O in my S5 but this version is so much better. $5k better? Yes. Unfortunately, the RS7 was out of my price range at over $149k. It did have tons of options, but still.

I am going to wait for a 2016 A6 which will have LTE in place of the 3G. These updated A6 models are now available in Europe. And I will order it with the B&O system.

Last edited by Fithian; 10-01-2014 at 02:07 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-01-2014, 06:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm most happy with the BOSE
Old 10-02-2014, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by trmills

I have always had audio enhancements in my vehicles. In this A6 I may have some work done to the Bose..
Let me know if you need any help. I've already done a full Bose replacement with success. I have all of the wire diagrams you'll need.

About to do another major upgrade, too. That should be under way in early November. Just waiting on a new DSP to arrive.

Last edited by subterFUSE; 10-02-2014 at 03:42 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 'Ski
I'm most happy with the BOSE
+1
I am very satisfied with the BOSE.
And you know how they could even make you happier? Include the B&O in the standard equipment MSRP and offer you a $6,000 credit if you delete it!
Nothing better than watching the MSRP go down.
How's that for creative marketing?

Quick Reply: Is bang and olufsen worth it