Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Black headliner (and all the hype)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Janello
Prior to taking delivery of my car I seen a lot of folks on here saying how great the black headliner looks. I was waiting for my car to come in and didn't know what I was going to get. I was disappointed when I seen my headliner was gray. After driving it for a while I thought about it more. I thought black headliner with black leather seating would be too dark, and confined. I went to the dealer the other day, sat in a all black interior and confirmed my beliefs. So, I am going against the grain by saying, I am really glad I didn't get the black headliner! My exterior is Daytona Gray so the gray headliner works well....I can understand those with White or Garnet Red exterior wanting a black headliner.

Just curious, anybody with me on this?
No. IMO the black headliner fits with my interior SO MUCH BETTER - not too dark at all IMO, and no issue with it being dirty
Old 09-07-2014, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

I really like the option of the black headliner. It looks so much better than grey ("lunar silver", eh?) and really complements a black interior.

If the black Alcantara HL had been priced reasonably, I would have gotten that, but it's too rich for me at $3K. At $1200, I would have bought it. I am thinking about getting a local shop to replace the stock one with Alcantara later, and have a rough estimate of under $1500, including the A-pillars and visors.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:58 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Which is why the standard headliner is grey when choosing a black interior. As to showing marks any time someone touches it I'm not sure what that is about...unless they're thinking about the alcantara headliner. I prefer black headliner, but to each his own.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've had both....all black in the A6 and black leather with grey headliner in the A7. The car absolutely gives gives off a different feel with the grey headliner and does not flow at all with the black dash and rest of the interior. Since the black headliner is no additional cost, it makes no sense why that isn't standard and have the grey headliner be the option.

I've thought about maybe switching just the pillars for black ones so the only grey is strictly the actual headliner. It would certainly look better, but may not be worth the hassle and money.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Glacier6
I've had both....all black in the A6 and black leather with grey headliner in the A7. The car absolutely gives gives off a different feel with the grey headliner and does not flow at all with the black dash and rest of the interior. Since the black headliner is no additional cost, it makes no sense why that isn't standard and have the grey headliner be the option.

I've thought about maybe switching just the pillars for black ones so the only grey is strictly the actual headliner. It would certainly look better, but may not be worth the hassle and money.
+1

Folks are focusing on light vs dark interior feel. I can't get past how the grey just looks puke like and how the lines where it abuts other interior elements are so crappy looking. Is the black too dark, I don't really take notice as long as it is not ugly like the grey.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by irenesbob
+1

Folks are focusing on light vs dark interior feel. I can't get past how the grey just looks puke like and how the lines where it abuts other interior elements are so crappy looking. Is the black too dark, I don't really take notice as long as it is not ugly like the grey.

You're entitled to your opinion, but puke? My car has a gray headliner with gray exterior and it's damn sexy! I have to wonder if Irene told you to say that.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Depends if you prefer an open airy feel or a close sporty feel. How it meets the interior panels matters also. I chose the Nougat Brown interior but the one at the dealer had a light colored headliner. I think it was like a beige color. I felt it clashed big time when it met the interior panels so I opted for the black headliner which flowed perfectly. The added bonus was that it makes the interior feel "snug" which I preferred. Different strokes...
Old 09-09-2014, 07:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigDawg
Depends if you prefer an open airy feel or a close sporty feel. How it meets the interior panels matters also. I chose the Nougat Brown interior but the one at the dealer had a light colored headliner. I think it was like a beige color. I felt it clashed big time when it met the interior panels so I opted for the black headliner which flowed perfectly. The added bonus was that it makes the interior feel "snug" which I preferred. Different strokes...

I really think you nailed it, this sums up how I look at it as well.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Janello
You're entitled to your opinion, but puke? My car has a gray headliner with gray exterior and it's damn sexy! I have to wonder if Irene told you to say that.
I can't help but wonder if that last line tells us who makes decisions for you.
Irene? There is no more Irene - life is better lol
On my own I have hated the previous three Audi's I had with that grey. Had it been just a shade darker then I would not have minded it. Take a look at some other brands' grey interiors - much better for me. "Puke" - OK, maybe more like "weak." As is virtually everything i post here, just my take on things. If you like the grey, I envy you in a way.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigDawg
I felt it clashed big time when it met the interior panels so I opted for the black headliner which flowed perfectly.
This is the part that gets me....the way the grey pillars move down into the dash and sides has no design thought whatsoever. The black stops and the grey starts and overall, it just does not work or flow.

Quick Reply: Black headliner (and all the hype)