Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A6 / S6 / RS 6 > A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2014, 05:58 AM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 258980

Default BMW Wheel Cleaner review (Picture Heavy)

So, I consider myself a hobbyist detailer. I usually hand wash and detail all 7 of my family's cars whenever I am on break. I'm always trying new techniques and products out. I find it fun and relaxing.

A long time ago, I had a bottle of Sonax Full Effect that I used for cleaning my old 5 series. I loved the stuff, it worked great and handled the BMW break dust like a champ. However, there was no local retailer who carried Sonax, so the only way I could get it was by ordering it online. Also, it wasn't cheap, around $16-$17 a pop plus shipping. So instead of using Sonax, I began using Eagle One A2Z wheel cleaner, which is really good and cheap (~$4).

I was reading around on the forums one day and read a lot of good stuff about BMW's Wheel Cleaner Gel. I decided I would go pick it up and see how good this stuff really is.

I went to my local Bimmer dealership, in my Benz to get wheel cleaner for my Audi…The wheel cleaner was priced at $8.50 a bottle but I found a coupon online for 15% off.

Here are the results:

Before:

Click the image to open in full size.

Pre Rinse:

EagleOne for the tires:

EagleOne after agitation:

BMW Wheel Cleaner Bottle:

Initial Application:

5 Minutes:

After Agitation:

Final Product after rinse and detail with sponge:

This stuff worked great! It's not totally spray on rinse off, but then again if you really want to clean your car, you can't be lazy. What really impressed me about this wheel cleaner was the fact that whatever break dust was left after rinsing could be removed with my finger, not that I would recommend doing that. This stuff really softens the break dust. I will definitely be picking up more once my supply runs out.
Aatish11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:03 AM   #2
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 217740

Anyone tries the Audi or Mercedes wheel cleaner?

2012 A6 3.0T Prestige S-Line Sport Suspension Pirelli P-Zero 255/35/20

[Glacier White Metallic // Black Milano Leather // Matte Brushed Aluminium Inlay // Black Headliner]

[LED Headlights // Adaptive Cruise Control // Audi Pre Sense Plus // Audi Brake Guard // Audi Side Assist // Head Up Display // Night Vision // Shift Paddles]

[Bang & Olufsen Advanced Sound System // Electric Rear Sunshade // Manual Side Sunshade // Four Zone Climate Control // Heated and Ventilated Front Seats // Heated Rear Seats // LED Ambient Lighting Plus // Glass Sunroof]
qqq1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:43 AM   #3
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 169569

I think P21S used to be the supplier to BMW for this product. However, that doesn't look like P21S gel. That kinda looks like the SONAX product when it changes color. I don't think my SONAX foams up like that so maybe this is something completely new.

I've been using mostly the Autoglym wheel cleaner over the past couple years and reserve my bottles of SONAX for really bad (neglected) wheels. The Autoglym product is outstanding. The only negative thing I can say about it is it's a bit of a challenge to obtain so I tend to order the 5L or 25L containers.
uberwgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:57 AM   #4
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 22753

Based on the red color as it works on the dirt, it looks like a derivation of Sonax or a copy of some sort. I've used Sonax for years and am happy with it. (I bought the large 169 oz refill for $99 through Amazon for my cars w/free shipping which works out to about $10 per regular 16 oz bottle; should last me a long time).

- 2013 A6 3.0T Prestige, Quartz Gray/Black, 19" Sport, Driver Assist, LED headlights,Cold Weather and B&O;
Bridgestone RE970AS tires; XPel Ultimate full front, mirrors and rocker panels, Opti-coat Pro
- 2002 allroad 2.7t - 13y/49K mi and still like new
- 2009 A4 3.2 Prestige w/Nav (sold at 4y/48K mi)
- 2001 A6 2.7t (sold at 8y/98K mi)
snagitseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:59 AM   #5
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 244243

Nice. Just don't let it get to the point where the brake dust starts caking on. That's when you really need these wheel cleaners. I just wash mine with a wheel brush about every 2-4 weeks along with the whole car, and I have never needed anything more than the regular car wash detergent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04889.jpg (178.0 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04907.jpg (132.3 KB, 229 views)
Old 05-23-2014, 10:23 AM   #6
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 253504

Yea, that is one of the Iron Dissolving, color changing wheel cleaners. All of them will work quite well. BMW is just having one of the manufacturers special package it for them

1Z Einszett ColourTec Wheel Cleaner
Scholl Concepts Rim 7 Wheel Cleaner
CarPro Iron X Iron Remover
Sonax FE
Dodo Juice Ferrous Dueller Iron Remover
Meguirs Dub Line Wheel Cleaner

All of the above are the same basic concept / approach and all contain some of the same chemicals. All should work well. (I believe in a recent detailer comparison 1Z and Scholl were on top slightly but the differences are minor) Just get whatever one is on sale at the time. That said, if you keep your car well maintained, you should not have to use these often.

Upgrades:

* X-Pel Ultimate extended hood / fenders (approx 24"), full front bumper, headlights, mirrors and rear bumper trunk loading area
* S6 sport pedals
* DLS OA10D Subwoofer, JL XD 600/6 amp, Audio Control LCQ-1 OEM integration, six channel signal processor and equalizer, fully dynamatted rear deck where the sub is mounted
* Cocomats
* 19" Avant Garde Wheels with Pirelli All Season Tires
* For winter - 18" Elbrus I02 wheels with Michelin X-Ice XI3 tires
* Llumar Air Blue 80 Tint

* Washed with IronX Snow Soap or Chemical Guys Clear Citrus via a foaming lance
* Detailed with CQuartz, Reload, PERL, Ultima Tire & Trim Guard

Maverick61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:30 PM   #7
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 258980

After a little research, I think it may be just rebranded Sonax Plus. It definitely smells like Sonax, except it's not green initially and it is also substantially thicker. Sonax Plus seems to fit the description. The only difference I could find is the price. Sonax Plus is ~$20.00 while this is $7-$8.50.
Aatish11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:47 PM   #8
AudiWorld Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatish11 View Post
After a little research, I think it may be just rebranded Sonax Plus. It definitely smells like Sonax, except it's not green initially and it is also substantially thicker. Sonax Plus seems to fit the description. The only difference I could find is the price. Sonax Plus is ~$20.00 while this is $7-$8.50.
I don't know about the "Plus" but I use the Sonax "Full Effect" and it does a great job. As I mentioned, if you buy the extra large refill online the cost works out to about $10 per 16 oz, not much more than the stuff you're using. And I don't have to use gas to show up at a BMW dealer in one of my Audis.

- 2013 A6 3.0T Prestige, Quartz Gray/Black, 19" Sport, Driver Assist, LED headlights,Cold Weather and B&O;
Bridgestone RE970AS tires; XPel Ultimate full front, mirrors and rocker panels, Opti-coat Pro
Old 05-23-2014, 06:15 PM   #9
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 267421

Quote:
Originally Posted by snagitseven View Post
And I don't have to use gas to show up at a BMW dealer in one of my Audis.
Yeah, wouldn't want to do that. Then you'd actually see how a luxury dealer is supposed to work.

Big power for a fraction of the cost of the big names. Its what I do.

Previously:
2013 Audi A6 3.0T Prestige (390hp), 2012 BMW X5M (630hp), 2012 GMC Yukon Denali (430hp), 2011 Cadillac CTS-V (650hp), 2008 Jeep SRT8 (550hp), 2007 Chrysler 300C SRT8 (490hp),
2002 Dinan BMW 540i (330hp), 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (360hp), 1996 Pontiac Trans Am (440hp), 1993 Chevy Camaro (180hp), 1998 Plymouth Neon (196hp), 1990 Ford Mustang LX (275hp)
Mike_L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:13 PM   #10
AudiWorld Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
Yeah, wouldn't want to do that. Then you'd actually see how a luxury dealer is supposed to work.
After 10 years with them, mine works just fine. Exceptional in fact.
I thought you were going to trade your A6 for a BMW. Will it be soon?

Old 05-23-2014, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement