Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Brake Pad change help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 02:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pad change help please

Morning,

Please could you someone help answer some questions for me.

My brake pad warning light is on my DIS.

Do the rear pads also come with a sensor or is it just the front? They are all worn out the sane and its hard to tell. Car is a 2011 2.0 TDi

I am looking to buy pads audi quoted me 126 for the front and 70 for the rear this morning. Would i need to replace the sensor also or is it a simply case off change the pads and the light will go off?

Thank you
Old 03-23-2017, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

There are two sensors, one front axle and one rear axle located left side on the inner pads. You will need two new sensors when replacing all pads. The sensor is a loop of wire on a plastic holder. As the pads wear to ~3mm remaining, the wire contacts the rotor and eventually wears through causing the warning light.

Some brake pads come with sensors, some don't. The old sensors are not reusable - they break when trying to remove them from the OEM pads. If you're changing your own pads, thread the new sensor through the rear caliper before clicking it in place on the pad.

Here's a shot of my rear sensor - it was almost worn through when I installed ceramic pads at ~26K miles.
Name:  100_1168_zpsxg7d796b.jpg
Views: 5365
Size:  99.7 KB

Last edited by tenspeed; 03-27-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

yep, just as tenspeed said.

I just did all 4 over the weekend....my front rotor was stuck....took me like 2 hours to get it off (after running to harbor freight to picked the 4lb sledge hammer and a gear puller just in case)
Old 03-29-2017, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Vodka G
yep, just as tenspeed said.

I just did all 4 over the weekend....my front rotor was stuck....took me like 2 hours to get it off (after running to harbor freight to picked the 4lb sledge hammer and a gear puller just in case)
There is a hole (or 2) in the rotor that you can screw the bolt into and it will push the rotor off. You can take take one of the bolt that secure the brake-line bracket and use it. Should be the same thread size.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by culi
There is a hole (or 2) in the rotor that you can screw the bolt into and it will push the rotor off. You can take take one of the bolt that secure the brake-line bracket and use it. Should be the same thread size.
Never seen that screw holes on Audi rotors.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Vodka G
I just did all 4 over the weekend....my front rotor was stuck....took me like 2 hours to get it off
When I changed my rotors and pads, I removed the caliper and bracket then squirted the hub with penetrating oil from the back side. Instead of trying to hammer the rotor off, I hit the rotor on the outside edge toward the hub. Gave it a spin and hit it again. After a while, it broke free.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
When I changed my rotors and pads, I removed the caliper and bracket then squirted the hub with penetrating oil from the back side. Instead of trying to hammer the rotor off, I hit the rotor on the outside edge toward the hub. Gave it a spin and hit it again. After a while, it broke free.
I never like to use hammer to loosen up rotors out of fear that I may damage the hub bearing. Even more so on A6 since I read so many posts on early bearing failures.
If I ever encounter frozen rotors, I will devise a bar and a screw to push it out gradually. I replaced rotors and pads this weekend while replacing winter tires and luckily had no problem removing the rotors. There were some rust in the hub, and I cleaned them and used thin layer of anti-seize before installing new rotors.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

"Brake Pads" light came on yesterday for me as well...

Does it say anywhere which is bad? front or back?

thanks
Old 04-21-2017, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

You can slide your phone between the spokes so that the lens side rests on the disc and points to the brake pads and take a pic like below (it will be bit dusty, don't do this in your best suit). In the picture, I had a ruler in place, and you can see 5mm of pad that is chamfered (angled), then 3mm more pad before the pad backing plate for 8mm pad left total. The sensor will likely wear through at 3mm left, so yours may show no champer.

Last edited by Mesquite77; 04-21-2017 at 04:20 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Fronts "typically" wear out before rears...i have seen 2X the mileage on rears vs fronts on past audis & vws

you can look at the top of the caliper and see the pad thickness with a good flashlight to gain some understanding which it might be...unless they look exactly the same.

New pad thickness should be around 3/8" or so.

Originally Posted by konijay
"Brake Pads" light came on yesterday for me as well...

Does it say anywhere which is bad? front or back?

thanks

Quick Reply: Brake Pad change help please