Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Brake pads replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ordered a set of front pads for my A7. These pads even have a break in surface that "conditions" the rotors a bit when you install them. I just turned 30k, but haven't liked the factory pads since day 1. Hopefully I'll have lower dust and less noise/shuddering. Certainly cheap enough and the YouTube video makes the fronts look pretty easy to replace.

EBC® DP32086C - Redstuff Ceramic Low Dust Front Brake Pads
Audi A7 Quattro 3.0L Supercharged 2012-2013, Redstuff Ceramic Low Dust Front Brake Pads (DP32086C) by EBC®. FMSI : D1549, for 14" Rotor Diameter. This set of replacement ceramic front brake pads...
Price: $130.75
Qty. 1
Delivery: $10.76
Total: $141.51
Old 10-24-2014, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by craignhp
I just ordered a set of front pads for my A7. These pads even have a break in surface that "conditions" the rotors a bit when you install them. I just turned 30k, but haven't liked the factory pads since day 1. Hopefully I'll have lower dust and less noise/shuddering. Certainly cheap enough and the YouTube video makes the fronts look pretty easy to replace.

EBC® DP32086C - Redstuff Ceramic Low Dust Front Brake Pads
Audi A7 Quattro 3.0L Supercharged 2012-2013, Redstuff Ceramic Low Dust Front Brake Pads (DP32086C) by EBC®. FMSI : D1549, for 14" Rotor Diameter. This set of replacement ceramic front brake pads...
Price: $130.75
Qty. 1
Delivery: $10.76
Total: $141.51

Yes, the pads (even OEM) can be purchased for $100-130. It puzzles me how they justify to charge $400 for just pads replacement. I highly doubt it takes an experienced mechanic with great tools 2 full hours to replace one set of brake pads. I don't object to paying $130 for pads. I don't even object paying $130-150 per hour for labor, if the time is reasonable, which in this case is one hour at most.

If I am not mistaken, and someone please correct me, the front pads can be replaced without the need for VAG-COM cable and software and thus can be done by any indy mechanic. It's the rear ones where the pistons need to be moved by computer, since we have an e-brake. Am I correct?
Old 10-24-2014, 08:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

answering all questions:
if I had VCDC I would use it 100%. Job needed to be done - so there is always a way and so the 12V directly to the motor did the trick.
My 2014 did not need the pads replaced. I helped with another car.
I just also did a brake job on my wife's A4 - same thing.
My 2014 does have S line but I am in Canada, not US.
NO - I AM NOT a mechanic. I only did this because the dealer wanted an atrocious amount for the job.
We got the pads from the dealer 140 for fronts and 108 for rears.
Dealer rate is $175 per hour. Front pads they charge 1.5 hours and rears 1 hour.
They did suggest to replace the rotors - but the rotors are perfectly fine and have barely any wear.
The job took us 2 hours for all 4 corners.

Only the rear pads need the VCDC and 12V direct power to do the job since you have to retract the electric parking brake.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokingTires
If I am not mistaken, and someone please correct me, the front pads can be replaced without the need for VAG-COM cable and software and thus can be done by any indy mechanic. It's the rear ones where the pistons need to be moved by computer, since we have an e-brake. Am I correct?
The front pads can EASILY be changed by ANY mechanic that has ever worked on Audi, VW or BMW or Mercedes brakes. Dead simple. No special tools. No need for VAGCOM.

Audi pads suck, VAG pads suck. They have ALWAYS sucked. They use a very soft, dirty material by TRW (who now owns Ferodo, Textar). they use a soft material so that they will not get complaints from NEWBIES that actually have to use a few foot pounds of pressure to stop the car. they are truly lowest common denominator pads.

I have used Akebono ceramic in Audis for years. Love them. most people like the EBC, be careful what type - do some research. Some EBC very hard and take a lot of stops to warm up.

Germans use soft iron for rotors. Always have - applies to VAG and BMW. Its not unusual to have to get new front rotors at 45k. On the other hand, when Audi paid for ALL service in the first 50k (2004), when the pads wore out, Audi NEVER put in new rotors under warranty. (Does it surprise you that when YOU have to pay for the service, Audi wants you to automatically pay for new rotors???)

there is an easy way to check rotors (besides calipering thickness): rub your finger on them. if the rotors are virtually smooth ON BOTH SIDES, you can most likely reuse them. But check both sides. On my 2011 avant (C6), needed new front pads at 40K. Rotors looked great on the outside. Took off the wheel and found deep ridges on the inside of the rotors. Needed replacement.

from my recent QUICK research, C7 brakes are different from C6 - and not many alternatives.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Got my brake pads (front & rear) and rotors (front and rear) replaced today at 55,000 KM (~34k Miles)

For those of you looking to get this done soon, it costs approx ~$1500
I live in canada and with the snowfalls here we generally brake a lot during winters plus i have a foot of steel so that doesn't help in grinding down my brakes. My guy checked my rotors as well and he said they were pretty bad soo I had no choice. Was hoping I could have gotten away with only changing pads but didnt happen.
Parts came up to $1200 and Labor from my local workshop guy came to $300. Dealership wanted $500 for Labor. Couldn't save anything on the parts since I bought genuine but my guy saved me $200 on Labor which isnt bad. Took about 4 hours to get done.

So pretty much morale of the story is....get ready to bust your wallet soon when that "Brake Pads!" error shows up!
Old 10-29-2014, 09:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

did you check the rotors yourself? I dont give a damn what most mechanics say until I see for myself.
My dealer told me I needed new rotors but they were fine. Audi pads are so soft they do not damage the rotors that much. and if they do, the new pads will bed in to the groves just fine since they are so soft.

Originally Posted by prateek200410
Got my brake pads (front & rear) and rotors (front and rear) replaced today at 55,000 KM (~34k Miles)

For those of you looking to get this done soon, it costs approx ~$1500
I live in canada and with the snowfalls here we generally brake a lot during winters plus i have a foot of steel so that doesn't help in grinding down my brakes. My guy checked my rotors as well and he said they were pretty bad soo I had no choice. Was hoping I could have gotten away with only changing pads but didnt happen.
Parts came up to $1200 and Labor from my local workshop guy came to $300. Dealership wanted $500 for Labor. Couldn't save anything on the parts since I bought genuine but my guy saved me $200 on Labor which isnt bad. Took about 4 hours to get done.

So pretty much morale of the story is....get ready to bust your wallet soon when that "Brake Pads!" error shows up!
Old 10-30-2014, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just had both of my front rotors replaced due to warping. Cost: $400.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by OSpacer
did you check the rotors yourself? I dont give a damn what most mechanics say until I see for myself.
My dealer told me I needed new rotors but they were fine. Audi pads are so soft they do not damage the rotors that much. and if they do, the new pads will bed in to the groves just fine since they are so soft.
Yup. Checked it myself as well. The back rotors a piece of it actually was broken off on both as well LOL sooo you can get the idea as to how bad they were.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Replaced fronts and rears at 25k. Still had plenty of pad left on the fronts as they are much thicker than the rears. Couldn't take the dust anymore and replaced with Akebonos. The rotor thickness was fine.

If you do the fronts you need a LONG 9mm hex bit. The standard length won't go deep enough. I couldn't find one anywhere but NAPA. I also went ahead and painted my calipers black with the G2 system. Best aesthetic upgrade that can be made IMO.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick question about doing the rear brakes using the VCDS to retract the parking brake. Keep in mind that I'm new to the whole VAG-COM thing.
How important is it to connect the battery charger before performing this, as the this step is listed under the "prerequisites"? I don't have a battery charger laying around.

Quick Reply: Brake pads replacement