Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Brakes: Cost Pads Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SILENCER
I always wondered if it would be considered bad etiquette to bring your own parts to an independent shop, especially a cat you trust, and ask them to perform the labor. Seems you'd save a lot of dough that way.
Most indy shops have no problem with you supplying your own parts. I've done it with two different shops. It's even possible with some Audi dealer service depts if a good indy isn't available. Best to ask first.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I got 70k miles on my original brakes and rotors, and still had some more life left. Most, but not all of my driving is highway. Interestingly, the rear pads were worn more than the front;I'm thinking it is a result of the ACC braking activity while I'm on the interstate, which I always sensed was more on the rears than the front, but who knows.

So first I stopped by my Indy shop and got annoyed because when I showed him what I wanted (EBC Sport Rotors and EBC Red Stuff pads) and the part numbers, he insisted on me bringing the car in so he could measure everything and insure which size they needed. That was after a previous time he said that non-oem sport brakes were noisy and I'd regret it.
So I asked my local Audi dealer if they'd install rotors and pads I brought in and they said "Sure, no problem".

It's been 3 weeks and I love these brakes. Virtually no dust and despite daily driving and the middle of winter. I always hated having that nasty black dust on the wheels spoiling the look of the car. Very happy with these.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer stated that my rear brakes and rotors are reaching replacement

I have 29K miles on the car at this time. Should I go with cross-drilled/slotted rotors or stay with OEM? I understand that the former category cannot be resurfaced, however, is there a noticeable braking performance gain (& no I don't track the car) to justify the additional cost?
Old 03-14-2016, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Slotted and/or dimpled rotors on a street car are just for looks. If your wheels allow a view of the rotor and you want that look, buy them. There's no noticeable gain or loss.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Your slot rotor looks backward. The function of the slot is to let gas out and renew the pad after each application.

https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/i...Path=6446_6515
Old 03-14-2016, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Slotted rotors are marked "Left" or "Right", they are not interchangeable. The picture in post #32 shows proper installation for passenger side rear rotor.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My recommendation is plain face rotors for street driven vehicles. Cheap, reliable and more than enough. If stopping power is what you're after, I'd recommend looking into alternative brake pads instead.

Also some front rotors are directionally vaned. So even if you don't see slots, you may still only be able to install them on one side. I don't think the rears are or need to be directionally vaned.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just took my wife's 2013 A6 Prestige into Audi for another service issue....(one AC vent not opening and the gas lid not locking) and when I picked it up they said I should service the breaks, even though I had not audible signs of wear, and only 42K on the vehicle...but I am sure it is nearing service soon.

What was MOST SHOCKING was the price. They told me that it would be $1895 to get the front and back done. When I asked what the he** they were going to do, they said that they replace pads AND ROTORS. I told them that the rotors cant possibly be ready for replacement, and they told me it is their policy to replace them when pads are done.

I later called the parts department and they told me that parts are $890 for everything and they told me to call service to get labor....service told me labor was approx $980.

When did this RIPOFF policy start at AUDI?????

Nearly 2 grand for brakes every 3 years seriously??? I checked with both Audi dealers in the area and got the same story. I checked the amazing tire place I get my tires done at, but they told me they cant get parts for the 2013 A6.

Any advice?
Old 03-29-2016, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by rick999
I just took my wife's 2013 A6 Prestige into Audi for another service issue....(one AC vent not opening and the gas lid not locking) and when I picked it up they said I should service the breaks, even though I had not audible signs of wear, and only 42K on the vehicle...but I am sure it is nearing service soon.

What was MOST SHOCKING was the price. They told me that it would be $1895 to get the front and back done. When I asked what the he** they were going to do, they said that they replace pads AND ROTORS. I told them that the rotors cant possibly be ready for replacement, and they told me it is their policy to replace them when pads are done.

I later called the parts department and they told me that parts are $890 for everything and they told me to call service to get labor....service told me labor was approx $980.

Nearly 2 grand for brakes every 3 years seriously??? I checked with both Audi dealers in the area and got the same story. I checked the amazing tire place I get my tires done at, but they told me they cant get parts for the 2013 A6.

Any advice?
I would find a trusted independent mechanic that specializes in imports and get them to give you a price.

To give you an idea of the cost difference on my car the 15k servicing at Audi will be $585. My local indy shop specializing in imports $245. As you can see that's a $340 difference.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rick999

Any advice?
Brakes for 2013 Audi A6 Sedan 3.0T quattro Prestige

Have them shipped to one of their qualified local installers or a indy garage you know who specializes in Audi/BMW/MB etc. Still not cheap overall, but another alternative and it seems parts exist if I entered your car correctly. I am very partial to the Akebono Euro pads from about 5 other cars I've used them on.

Quick Reply: Brakes: Cost Pads Rotors