Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Buying a new A6, have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keeping performance aside, if you are driving long distances at a time, a TDI is really the best way to go.

I have the 19'' and have been told that "for 60k this thing rides like a wagon". In other words, its not the most comfortable. For highway miles, I'd completely skip on any sport package.

I wish I had gotten the HUD, but no Prestige were available when I bought mine around a year ago. It is definitely cool.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've covered just under 8k miles on my TDI and several road trips. I do not have the 20's and think the ride is comfortable (far better than my RS4 was). Gas mileage is fantastic with a current projected total range of 740 miles. Performance is on-par with the 3.0T engine, if not better depending on what review you are reading.

Cost per mile is hovering between .09 and .11 cents, and Diesel here is running ~3.55 to 3.68/gal.

The black optic package...depends on if you like that thing. The HUD...wish I had it!

Make sure you either get a VAG-COM cable or find someone who has one. There are some changes you'll want to make as well.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:51 PM
RTG
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by X3NEIZE
Hello, I'm about to pull the trigger on an 2015 A6, I'm financing mainly because I put a lot of miles and I do get a very good discount through work.

I was actually looking for a TDI but I noticed that there aren't many TDI in the US market available, I entertained a new order with the exact options I wanted but when trying to do so with Flemington Audi at NJ, we came with the warning message that TDI are no longer being manufactured for this market until MY16... That was a shocker.....

I decided to give the 3.0 a chance and after some searching the right color with the options I wanted were found, unfortunately in a prestige package...l so my questions are:

1- on Black Optics 20" performance tire option, is the ride comfort seriously compromised? Can I simply change the summer tires for all seasons without any changes to the rims or suspension?

2- are the driver assist and HUD options a waste of money?

I can get this car for 58k after my discounts, it's pretty much fully loaded except the back seat airbag options. I'd love to hear some feedback from Audi A6 owners.

Thanks for the help
I worried about the 20" ride too but that was a waste of thought. These are smooth and quiet, not a rough rid at all. I would buy them again.

I love HUD but that dash mounted stuff breaks in our hot desert climate.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

No problem with the ride, and keep it mostly in dynamic mode, too.
The driver assistance overhead camera is nice for low curbs when parking, but I could live without it. Got the Prestige mainly for the ventilated front seats, which is nice in hot climates.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome. Thanks everyone for the responses, really helps.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

To clear up some misinformation about HUD on this thread....it can be adjusted up and down so it is not nearly in your line of sight, and it has nothing to do with night vision. I have had it in several cars, including my BMW. One you get used to it you'll wish every car you drive had it.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sap_pete
No problem with the ride, and keep it mostly in dynamic mode, too.
The driver assistance overhead camera is nice for low curbs when parking, but I could live without it. Got the Prestige mainly for the ventilated front seats, which is nice in hot climates.
I test drove a Prestige the other day with the 20 inch sport package. There were no suspension settings and the sales guy said the suspension was not adjustable. Did I miss something?
Old 09-01-2014, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by jjsC6
I test drove a Prestige the other day with the 20 inch sport package. There were no suspension settings and the sales guy said the suspension was not adjustable. Did I miss something?
No, you didn't miss anything. A6 suspension is not adjustable with NA-spec cars, but thankfully seatbelt tension is selectable.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by NABS4
No, you didn't miss anything. A6 suspension is not adjustable with NA-spec cars, but thankfully seatbelt tension is selectable.
I like the tensioner. I always keep it tightest (dynamic?). It feels good being snugged into a car where control is the ulimate good feeling. This setting may have helped when I had a deer collision at somewhere between 65 and 70 mph. I wasn't tossed about and could just drive the car until I got it moved over and off the lane of traffic. Luckily the hit was from the side (like 10 on an analog clock dial) so the airbags did not deploy.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I like the tensioner. I always keep it tightest (dynamic?). It feels good being snugged into a car where control is the ulimate good feeling. This setting may have helped when I had a deer collision at somewhere between 65 and 70 mph. I wasn't tossed about and could just drive the car until I got it moved over and off the lane of traffic. Luckily the hit was from the side (like 10 on an analog clock dial) so the airbags did not deploy.
The seat belts also have pre-tensioners. I'd rather have an adjustable suspension than auto tensioning seat belts.

Quick Reply: Buying a new A6, have some questions