Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

C7 Audi oil change DIY

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C7 Audi oil change DIY

Does anyone have a DIY instructions for oil change besides sucking oil from top? Where is the bottom drain plug? under passenger side or driver side? Do I have to remove the entire big panel under the car? Some of the T40 screws are so difficult to remove. I didn't have time to proceed further. Will try again tomorrow. Any advice would help. Thanks!
Old 07-10-2014, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Audidoodle
Does anyone have a DIY instructions for oil change besides sucking oil from top? Where is the bottom drain plug? under passenger side or driver side? Do I have to remove the entire big panel under the car? Some of the T40 screws are so difficult to remove. I didn't have time to proceed further. Will try again tomorrow. Any advice would help. Thanks!
It is my experience that it is actually CHEAPER to have the dealer change the oil and filter than buying the oil and filter myself on the A6. The oil is close to $10/qt with taxes and shipping.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 13c7a6
The oil is close to $10/qt with taxes and shipping.
I'm curious what oil you're running at $10/QT? I thought Mobil1 0W40 met all the relevant VW/Audi specs and it seems to run $6-7/qt at my local Wally World... less if they have the 5QT jugs.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
I'm curious what oil you're running at $10/QT? I thought Mobil1 0W40 met all the relevant VW/Audi specs and it seems to run $6-7/qt at my local Wally World... less if they have the 5QT jugs.
Castrol Edge 0-30 $51/6 with 7% taxes, ok, only $9 Wasn't the dealership use the same?
Old 07-10-2014, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Wasn't the dealership use the same?
I honestly don't know - way back when my C5 had the included maintenance, my dealership was using some crazy weight (like 20W50 - seriously) at the far edge of the allowed range, so I brought my own M1 0W40 throughout and they just provided the labor and filters.

My suspicion is that the oil used varies by dealer and by what they can get cheapest, but that's just my distrustful nature speaking
Old 07-10-2014, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
My suspicion is that the oil used varies by dealer and by what they can get cheapest, but that's just my distrustful nature speaking
The parts dept manager told me that is what they used. He said AoA won't pay them for the pre-paid maintenance or repair if they use other oils. Hopefully, he is telling the truth
Old 07-10-2014, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The parts dept manager told me that is what they used. He said AoA won't pay them for the pre-paid maintenance or repair if they use other oils. Hopefully, he is telling the truth
Yabbut.... remember this link where the guy gets 2-3 different answers on what oil they used?

Color me skeptical still, sorry.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Audidoodle
Will try again tomorrow. Any advice would help. Thanks!
Here is a link to a DIY on the 3.0L V6 in a A4. There may be differences but it hits all the basic parts. Read all the way through first. There seems to be different drain plugs and tools to remove them.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=24026371

Take some pictures of what you found and write a DIY for the C7 folks.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default C7 Audi 3.0 oil change DIY Instructions here

I asked for instructions yesterday foil oil change DIY and got totally hijacked. So I decided to wrote my own today and here are the instructions from me to anyone interested.

Tools required:

1) 36 mm socket for oil filter housing (up top near fire wall)
2) 6 mm hex bit (Allen) for oil drain plug
3) Jack, ramp or other support for car (best to use 2 forms of support as safety backup)
4) 7.1 quarts of oil (I used 0W40 Mobil 1 but see other thread discussions for other oils)
5) element oil filter, comes with gasket
6) T30 Torx (for belly pan screws)
7) 8 mm Spline (12 point thingy for big screws in belly pan- got from NAPA)
8) Phillips Screw driver (for belly pan screws)
9) Oil pan

The oil and filter change took only 10-15 minutes but removing the belly pan took much longer. Most tools are common except for the 8 mm (M8) Spline (12 point thingy) for the 4 big screws in the belly pan, near the 2 tires. I bought from NAPA but I guess you can special order from Sears etc.

After you raise the car, remove the belly pan right under the engine. There are about 10-12 screws of different sizes (see tool list above). Remove the oil drain plug with the 6 mm hex bit. Remove the oil filter housing (up top) with the 36 mm socket wrench. It is best to remove slowly and put into a plastic bag or wrap with paper towel. Use a needle nose plier to remove the gasket inside the filter housing. Your element filter comes with 2 gaskets, use the bigger one to match the old one. Torque filter housing to 25 Nm, no specs on the drain plug, so I used the same. Drain plug has metal washer, which I re-used (check leak ok). Pour oil into engine and monitor level using the MMI. I used 7.1 quarts. There is no oil dipstick on the C7 Audi A6 but I heard you can special order one.

I didn’t re-install the belly pan cause I find it a hassle to remove. Also, I like to check under my engine and joints regularly but do as you please. Also, I didn’t like the belly pan collecting some pebbles after 10K miles. They must have gotten in from the wheels. I find the belly pan to be an overkill for underneath protection.

Mobil 1 is more than adequate for my daily driving. There are many options out there including Amsoil, Red Line, Castrol, Liqui Moly, Motul etc (hm..I am not a rookie). Finally, I do my oil change every 5K, no matter who says what because that’s the way I like it…aha..aha. Have fun with your oil change!
Old 07-10-2014, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Sorry for Typos...It should read "for" and "write" in first few lines...

Quick Reply: C7 Audi oil change DIY