Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017
View Poll Results: Please select one of the following B&O options:
I have it and glad I got it
27.38%
I have it but wish I didn't
2.38%
I don't have it and glad I don't
42.86%
I don't have it but wish I did
19.05%
I want it but have not purchased the car yet
3.57%
I don't want it but have not purchased the car yet
3.57%
I have no clue what I have or want
1.19%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

C7 B&O Poll

Old 11-11-2013, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by looking@audi
First time I have ever heard someone say the sound is dramatically better in the A6 than the A7.

This is simply not true. The Base and Bose systems sound equally bad in both the A6 and A7. The Base, Bose and even the B&O use the same anemic "subwoofer" in all models.
I tested both with high-quality digital music files (on an SD card) before I pulled the trigger. The S6 has much better bass response (due to the cavity created by the trunk) and superior imaging (probably due to the rear speakers being higher up, on the rear deck).

I was considering ponying-up for the B&O system, until I ended up buying an S6 off the lot. I'm actually pleased with the Bose system - imaging and frequency response is fine and bass levels are reasonable (but could be improved). Would I prefer the B&O? Undoubtedly. Is it worth $6.5K (Cdn)? Probably not.

Last edited by DeerHunter; 11-11-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salvadorik
wow $12K USD is the price of B&O in NZ?! This is more than twice the cost here in US. We complain a lot in US that we dont get all the features but we are definitely lucky to pay the lowest price. The value that we get per a dollar paid is substantially more than that the rest of the world pays.
It sure is :-) Not sure if this link will work -
http://www.audi.co.nz/nz/brand/en/mo...ner=layerModal
If it does take you to the NZ MY14 spec page, if you click on the "A6 Sedan S-Line Specifications" link at the top left you will download a small PDF file which you may find interesting. Here in NZ the A6 is aimed at the top end of the niche, so we don't get 2.0 litre engine options for example, no petrol only diesel, high end specs only on the infotainment systems etc. Note on the PDF all the things we get as standard, and on the second page the cost of the variosu options - including the $15k B&O! You can see the spec of my car in my sig line - it cost NZ$142,000.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by NVThs1
My jaw almost hit the ground when I saw you created this post. HAHA.
Yeah, I can't explain what came over me. I had a moment of intense weakness, couldn't help myself and fell off the wagon. I promise this will be my one and only poll. Really.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would not have ordered it but for the great deal I got it is too good to pass.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Trying to be as pragmatic as this B&O option is really an emotional purchase. Of course the B&O option is an upgrade over the Bose speakers. Is it worth the $6K? Thumbs up to those who have the extra cash to burn.

My thoughts (mentioned in past postings so I am consistent) ... I had a "B&O" $800 option in my S5 which I am pretty sure is (lower grade) different from the B&O in an A6/S6. In both cases, I cannot justify the high fidelity produced by the B&O in a car that counters with its exhaust rumble, engine roar and tire road noise. On a nice day, with the windows down, the $6K sounds from the B&O system is now also drowned by wind noise and other noises from other vehicles.

So, help me understand why it is worth the upgrade? Unless of course you have the extra cash to burn which is 100% ok too since I can imagine many other car owners probably look at us funny for spending $65-90K on a car while they are perfectly happy driving their $35-45K vehicles.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Blitzer, electing the B&O option is really like other investments we make in our cars. I don't think it's much different from justifying other costly upgrades like a set of $4K wheels, the Innovation HUD or other things that an owner feels is a priority. Is the B&O a good value for everyone? No, but if your priorities are the best factory sound possible, it is a viable option. As I mentioned previously, I passed on the full Innovation w/HUD as it didn't light my fire but as an avid music lover, i opted for the B&O after extensive testing before i purchased. Is it expensive? Sure. Is the A6 expensive compared to the average car? Also yes. This is not a cut and dried choice - we each apply our own priorities, weigh the costs and make a decision to buy or pass. There can never be a one-size-fits-all answer as to whether or not the B&O is worth the expense. Ultimately, like so many other things in life, it just comes down to individual opinions based on each person's own desires, budget and evaluation.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Blitzer, electing the B&O option is really like other investments we make in our cars. I don't think it's much different from justifying other costly upgrades like a set of $4K wheels, the Innovation HUD or other things that an owner feels is a priority. Is the B&O a good value for everyone? No, but if your priorities are the best factory sound possible, it is a viable option. As I mentioned previously, I passed on the full Innovation w/HUD as it didn't light my fire but as an avid music lover, i opted for the B&O after extensive testing before i purchased. Is it expensive? Sure. Is the A6 expensive compared to the average car? Also yes. This is not a cut and dried choice - we each apply our own priorities, weigh the costs and make a decision to buy or pass. There can never be a one-size-fits-all answer as to whether or not the B&O is worth the expense. Ultimately, like so many other things in life, it just comes down to individual opinions based on each person's own desires, budget and evaluation.
100% in agreement. Which is why I implied there is no "one shoe fits all" in this B&O option decision or any other options; or even the rationale for selecting the different models within the Audi lineup. I was just thinking out loud here why I did not make this one decision and wanted to share with others who are on the fence. Similarly, people here spend a lot more for an Audi (than domestic brands) and later spend time finding ways to save money on Audi Connect or cut back on continuing with Sirius service. It is part of the overall operating costs of owning an high end vehicle.

On a similar note, I would rather (foolishly) spend extra $$$ on a sound system in my multiple home theater systems like 80" 3D LED TV and supporting components and 7.1 floor speakers setup, dual subs, etc., etc., in an (home) environment I can control. So, I fully appreciate the audiophile value of getting the B&O system albeit the external noises I mentioned before. Additionally, with my 99% focus on my driving, it is hard for me to intently listen to any high quality music unless sitting in my car in the garage or waiting at the light - lol.

Again, my comments to others (snagitseven understands this) is not meant to question your decisions ... just wanted to think out loud about how I arrived at my decision. Great discussion!

Last edited by s5blitzer; 11-12-2013 at 06:25 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by s5blitzer
100% in agreement. Which is why I implied there is no "one shoe fits all" in this B&O option decision or any other options; or even the rationale for selecting the different models within the Audi lineup. I was just thinking out loud here why I did not make this one decision and wanted to share with others who are on the fence. Similarly, people here spend a lot more for an Audi (than domestic brands) and later spend time finding ways to save money on Audi Connect or cut back on continuing with Sirius service. It is part of the overall operating costs of owning an high end vehicle.

On a similar note, I would rather (foolishly) spend extra $$$ on a sound system in my multiple home theater systems like 80" 3D LED TV and supporting components and 7.1 floor speakers setup, dual subs, etc., etc., in an (home) environment I can control. So, I fully appreciate the audiophile value of getting the B&O system albeit the external noises I mentioned before. Additionally, with my 99% focus on my driving, it is hard for me to intently listen to any high quality music unless sitting in my car in the garage or waiting at the light - lol.

Again, my comments to others (snagitseven understands this) is not meant to question your decisions ... just wanted to think out loud about how I arrived at my decision. Great discussion!
Nice to have a discussion with differing opinions but no my-way-or-the-highway declarations, eh?

As to the car noise overriding the benefits, I would agree that if you have the windows and sunroof open at 70 mph, it negates a lot of the performance difference. However, cruising down the road with the volume cranked most of the way up while listening to my favorite tunes is pretty incredible. My wife prohibits this though, so I have one day each week when I go out for a solo driving rock concert. (Retirement is nice).

Btw, I've spent more on my home system than the Audi B&O so I'm clearly a dyed-in-the-wool, addicted, electroniphiliac junkie. Also, I am never more than an arm's length away from a music playing, internet connected device (otherwise I would go into instant withdrawl). Sick, I know.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

This is not a dsicussion I can have much input on since I really don't care much how the Sirius 80's or weather reports sound, but I did want to disagree with a term snagit used in his next to last post. To me plunking down money on a car is generally speaking not an "investment" - just my view.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by irenesbob
This is not a dsicussion I can have much input on since I really don't care much how the Sirius 80's or weather reports sound, but I did want to disagree with a term snagit used in his next to last post. To me plunking down money on a car is generally speaking not an "investment" - just my view.
I agree, not in the traditional, monetary sense but an Audi or its ilk is an investment in driving pleasure and pride of ownership. Another example, when I go to a good restaurant, I'm "investing" in a quality and pleasurable meal. When I go to McDonalds, I'm just there for some quick, cheap food (or their version of it).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C7 B&O Poll