Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Can't stand parking sensors

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't stand parking sensors

I have a 2014 A6 3.0, and love the car except for one thing. Maybe there is some sort of trick to this, please educate me if possible. When I am backing up, my front parking sensors will cause the loud beeping to occur if it is close enough to something, even though the rear is clear. It basically makes me fear that I am backing in to something, so I always end up having to take a few extra looks. In my previous cars (335 and X5), the car was aware that I was backing up, and the front sensors would not be active. Anyone else experience this annoyance?
Old 08-17-2014, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

You should have the graphic pop up indicating the location of the obstruction, front, rear and distance. You can also adjust the tone frequencies and volumes differently for front and rear which should help identify which direction is picking up an object.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'll check it out, thank you!
Old 08-17-2014, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by s1m1s1us
my front parking sensors will cause the loud beeping to occur if it is close enough to something
I guess I think this is a feature - if the front of the car might hit something, I'd like to know that! It's certainly possible to swing the front into an obstacle while backing up, so I would think disabling the front sensors just because I'm in reverse wouldn't be ideal.

It basically makes me fear that I am backing in to something
As snagitseven said, you can adjust the tone/frequency in MMI settings but you might note that the beeping comes from the affected corner of the car. Once I realized that, I personally found the default settings to be fine - though I'm tempted to turn all the volumes down a tad bit. When I'm trying for a really tough, close parking situation I think all the "yelling" becomes unhelpful
Old 08-18-2014, 04:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Keep in mind that the sensors don't just track what is directly in front of or behind the car, but also what is at the corners. As the other poster said, a turn of the wheel when backing up could send your front fender directly into one of those corner obstacles.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have a 2014 A6 3.0, and love the car except for one thing. Maybe there is some sort of trick to this, please educate me if possible. When I am backing up, my front parking sensors will cause the loud beeping to occur if it is close enough to something, even though the rear is clear. It basically makes me fear that I am backing in to something, so I always end up having to take a few extra looks. In my previous cars (335 and X5), the car was aware that I was backing up, and the front sensors would not be active. Anyone else experience this annoyance?
Also, note that the front sensors will not activate if you pull forward into a parking spot. They will only activate if you put the car in reverse first, and will stay active as you park. Or, you have to manually turn them on by pressing the dash button.
It is a bit weird, but i guess they don't automatically enable the fronts so that they don't beep in stop n go traffic if you get too close to a car in front.
It would be nice to have the front sensors working when i pull into my garage without having to press a button.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008A6
It is a bit weird, but i guess they don't automatically enable the fronts so that they don't beep in stop n go traffic if you get too close to a car in front.
It would be nice to have the front sensors working when i pull into my garage without having to press a button.
I think that if you pull too close to the car in front of you and it beeps then that is a good idea. It won't beep unless you are close enough to be sucking too much carbon monoxide anyway. You can try it in traffic by pressing the enable and mine doesn't beep unless I'm too close so I would, at least, like the option of enabling the front sensors all of the time.
I too have the same garage parking issue so I have the old-fashioned "hanging tennis ball" as my sensor!
Old 08-19-2014, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

The issue I have with the rear sensor is that almost two years after getting the car I still cannot/have not figured out what the beeping and visual aids mean in terms of telling me precisely how close I am to hitting whatever is back there. If I back into a space that is against a wall I cannot figure out how close I am to the wall and I suspect I am always stopping way too far away. Is there a way from the screen and sounds to know when you are like 6 inches to the wall? I can get out and check, but I wish I had more confidence that the car was telling me the distance. Or is it the case that it gets louder and louder, then “bam” you’re into the wall. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
Or is it the case that it gets louder and louder, then “bam” you’re into the wall. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Yes, I was told in driving school that you should always stop when you hit something

But seriously, you have the beep, you have the frequency and you have the camera, that is all I ever use now.

If that all fails then send the wife to the front of the car (although I'm not sure that would help).
Old 08-19-2014, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I still cannot/have not figured out what the beeping and visual aids mean in terms of telling me precisely how close I am to hitting whatever is back there.
Putting it kindly .... well, ok, not very kindly ... RTFM! Under "Parking systems" TFM says continuous tone at ~1ft (I think mine is actually farther out than that) and shows distance from vehicle for the various lines on the display.

That all works reasonably well for large obstacles, but smaller ones may fool the system. I like your 6" confidence idea, but it's clear to me (now that I've got the system) that doesn't work out

Oh, and I'm quite confused by all the garage parking comments - don't you all reverse into your garages?????

Quick Reply: Can't stand parking sensors