Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Can't stand parking sensors

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I think that the parking sensor/camera system is very impressive and I use it exclusively with the occasional check over my shoulder which doesn't help the information I already can get from the screen.
My wish is that the camera switched to side view, in the direction of travel when the indicators are used. I spend too much time, when reversing out of a concealed space, using the selector to switch between modes.
I.E:
Reverse - with indicator enabled = rear, side view.
Reverse - with no indicator - rear view.
Forward - with indicator = forward, side view.
Forward - with no indicator = forward view.

For those of you who park in a parking garage, or similar, I think that the preceding proposal would be a more efficient method of using the technology available.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I love the rear view camera system with the parking guide-lines, especially for parallel parking. Makes it so easy that even "motor vehicle operators" like me can do it perfectly every time

For those who don't know, to parallel park, you have to change the guide-line mode by pressing the upper right button.

Position the car so the long side of the dark blue rectangle is on the curb.

Back up the car straight until the end of the blue rectangle touches the front of the car behind, or the end of the parking spot.

Stop. Turn the steering wheel full lock to the parking side, then back up until the blue curved line touches the curb.

Stop again. Turn the steering wheel full lock to the other side. Note that you do not back in at 45 degrees with the steering wheel straight here. Just back up with the steering wheel at full lock until the car is in the spot and parallel to the curb.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Today I closed on my new home further upstate NY from Westchester County where I have been for the last 26 years. I will be moving in a month or so. After the closing I drove and walked around downtown and boy, did I get a shock. All the municipal parking lots (I passed three), the lot at the complex the attorney’s office was in and two bank parking lots all prohibit backing into parking spaces. One said “front of car must face curb” the municipal lots and a few others said simply “no backing in.”
Given the exchanges this thread was hijacked into (lol) I found this very amusing or confusing, I am not sure which. All the pluses other posts listed about backing in (I agree with most if not all) are apparently meaningless to this municipality and many of its private businesses. Anyway, just reporting my “hoot of the day.”
Old 08-21-2014, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
All the municipal parking lots (I passed three), the lot at the complex the attorney’s office was in and two bank parking lots all prohibit backing into parking spaces. One said “front of car must face curb” the municipal lots and a few others said simply “no backing in.”
Move To Somewhere People Live Free.

Seriously, you just passed on your best chance to Get The H3LL Out of New York?!?!?!??!
Old 08-21-2014, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by newmoon
For those who don't know, to parallel park, you have to change the guide-line mode by pressing the upper right button.

Position the car so the long side of the dark blue rectangle is on the curb.
Nice writeup - seriously it's better than the one in TFM. One addition though, I believe you have to "Use yah blinkah" to position the blue rectangle on one side or the other.

I find TFM's writeup on parallel parking near obstacles quite funny - pretty much "Well, don't hit anything". Duh.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
Move To Somewhere People Live Free.

Seriously, you just passed on your best chance to Get The H3LL Out of New York?!?!?!??!
I like living in a civilized place. I want to be free of people who think that individual desires (they call them rights or freedoms) take precedence over what is best for society in general. I welcome a degree of the nanny gubbermint, so I am content here. If I weren't I would likely move. Different strokes as they say.
I used to have an 18 acre weekend house way upstate NY on a private dirt road, but moved after all the "freedom" people got to me with their old bathtubs and toilets on the front lawn, three or more rusted old cars on the driveway and barking dogs on chains. I really do not mind being told to do this or that because it makes things better for the larger population. I guess that is why I was always comfortable working for large companies/organizations with their myriad of rules and standards. I do understand that doesn't work for everyone. I guess I am just a Brooklyn-born guy at heart - even studied for the Priesthood in minor seminary (high school). It wasn't the strict rules that made me stop that, it was the itch to be bad - lol

Last edited by irenesbob; 08-21-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I want to be free of people who think that individual desires (they call them rights or freedoms) take precedence over what is best for society in general.
Ok, I've been outdone on the inflammatory comments! I bow in your direction sir!

If it weren't dead these days I'd throw down a gauntlet and offer to meet you at dawn.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If it weren't dead these days I'd throw down a gauntlet and offer to meet you at dawn.
If I weren't half-dead these days (72 - ugh!) I might agree. Pistols or wet noodles?
In an overall defense of my New York-ish liberal tendencies, I would point out that in Boy Scouts I had a merit badge in marksmanship, Oh, yes, also in knot tying lol
Old 08-22-2014, 02:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

[QUOTE=irenesbob;24597920] the municipal lots and a few others said simply “no backing in.”
Given the exchanges this thread was hijacked into (lol) I found this very amusing or confusing, I am not sure which. All the pluses other posts listed about backing in (I agree with most if not all) are apparently meaningless to this municipality and many of its private businesses.QUOTE]

Interestingly, there are numerous portions of San Francisco where "backing-in" is compulsory.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I believe you have to "Use yah blinkah" to position the blue rectangle on one side or the other...
After reading this post I tried this at the curb the other day and a bunch of cars coming down the street from behind went ballistic. It seems that when you use the "blinkah" stalk to adjust which side the blue line/swath appears on, the directional signals operate as normal. These cars saw some idiot at the curb putting on his left blinker so they assumed I was pulling out and they slowed, then they saw my right blinker, and so it went as I was simply testing the thing. I would have assumed (did assume) Audi would have cut out the turn signals off when messing around with the rearview camera’s parking assistance function They figured out how to cut the DRL’s when you put the turn signals on so the signal light can be seem more prominently in daylight, so I would have thought this situation would have been anticipated as well. Anyway, now I know.

Quick Reply: Can't stand parking sensors