Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Can't stand parking sensors

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
After reading this post I tried this at the curb the other day and a bunch of cars coming down the street from behind went ballistic. It seems that when you use the "blinkah" stalk to adjust which side the blue line/swath appears on, the directional signals operate as normal. These cars saw some idiot at the curb putting on his left blinker so they assumed I was pulling out and they slowed, then they saw my right blinker, and so it went as I was simply testing the thing. I would have assumed (did assume) Audi would have cut out the turn signals off when messing around with the rearview camera’s parking assistance function They figured out how to cut the DRL’s when you put the turn signals on so the signal light can be seem more prominently in daylight, so I would have thought this situation would have been anticipated as well. Anyway, now I know.
As I have said in numerous posts: It is obvious that car designers never drive the cars they design.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
As I have said in numerous posts: It is obvious that car designers never drive the cars they design.
I was going to let this sub-thread go on by, but I do feel compelled to point out:

at the curb putting on his left blinker ... then they saw my right blinker
I think this was the issue - that irenesbob was testing the system vs using it. In normal operation, presumably he would have been in reverse, so his back up lights would be on, and he would be signaling right (as he's in NY and presumably parking on the right, but either way he'd be signaling TO THE CURB) so all indications to other drivers would be correct.

I actually viewed the "blinker" usage in this situation as quite natural, since the driver would want to indicate to other vehicles what he was doing. Once long ago I considered wiring in a switch to let me turn my backup light(s) on BEFORE selecting reverse, so other vehicles would be aware that I was preparing to back into a parking spot (for example).

Even irenesbob noted that his behavior was confusing in this instance, but the leap to "the car is designed wrong" is one I don't accept here.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
Even irenesbob noted that his behavior was confusing in this instance, but the leap to "the car is designed wrong" is one I don't accept here.
Let me re-phrase the comment: The cars implementation could be improved upon by allowing the movement of the parking assistance block in the display without incorrectly indicating to other road users approaching from behind. E.G. make the block flip/flop sides when the steering wheel moves left or right of center without affecting the indication to approaching vehicles (only when in reverse and the park assist is selected).
Old 08-26-2014, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me re-phrase the comment: The cars implementation could be improved upon by allowing the movement of the parking assistance block in the display without incorrectly indicating to other road users approaching from behind. E.G. make the block flip/flop sides when the steering wheel moves left or right of center without affecting the indication to approaching vehicles (only when in reverse and the park assist is selected).
I won't even quibble with that - just let me select the block placement with the MMI controls I'm using to select parallel parking mode - but the only way the current implementation is "incorrectly indicating to other road users approaching from behind" is when the turn signals are "incorrectly" operated.

Maybe it's not the best way to select the block placement, but in normal operation the driver won't indicate left when he's sitting on the right about to park on the right

My point was that the system behaved logically, it was irenesbob's testing procedure that caused confusion - a point he made in the original posting (before he then "blamed" the design ).

P.S. I always read irenesbob as "Irene's Bob"....
Old 08-26-2014, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon

P.S. I always read irenesbob as "Irene's Bob"....
So do I - is that wrong?
Old 08-26-2014, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

So do I - is that wrong?
That is correct.

I was "testing", but in NY there are instances where one can park with the curb on the right (most 2-way streets) as well as on the left (typically one way streets). I tried it both ways and did have the car in reverse with backup camera on. I believe most people don’t take much notice if your backup lights are on and you are at the curb wedged between two cars: the likelihood of your car entering the lane of traffic would be minimal. However, once they see the turn signal flash, and perhaps a momentary forward motion (I did jiggle around), they then open their eyes and use those brains.

I was really thinking that selecting the parking aid might cancel the turn signal (momentarily at least) until the car starts moving forward. A passerby I know confirmed they were blinking even while in reverse, but I have not tried to verify that myself. This is not a big deal. I would rather use the old fashioned "crane the neck around 20 times” approach until they offer a more sophisticated and bullet proof parking assist in the US.

Bob's(ex)irene -

lol! Freedom is great!
Old 08-26-2014, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Bob's(ex)irene -

lol! Freedom is great!
So you were Irene's Bob but you fixed that problem?
Old 08-26-2014, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So you were Irene's Bob but you fixed that problem?
yep, even without a warranty and, it cost me nothing -lol
Old 08-26-2014, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I think the parallel parking display works perfectly fine as is. Because you normally drive past the parking spot and have to put your indicator on anyway to let the person behind you know that you intend to park there, so they need to leave space for you to back up, or they can go around.

Even if you don't use your indicator, the display defaults to parking on the more common right side.

And in the A6, the display still shows the guide for the non-selected side, but in light blue.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by newmoon
I think the parallel parking display works perfectly fine as is. Because you normally drive past the parking spot and have to put your indicator on anyway to let the person behind you know that you intend to park there, so they need to leave space for you to back up, or they can go around.

Even if you don't use your indicator, the display defaults to parking on the more common right side.

And in the A6, the display still shows the guide for the non-selected side, but in light blue.
OK - agreed. I withdraw my negative comments about it, but still will not be using it. I guess the thing was designed for more than "testing sessions."