Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Car parked in garage armed or unarmed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Car parked in garage armed or unarmed?

Hi,

What does everyone do when the car is parked in their home garage, do you lock/arm the car or leave it unlocked. I leave mine unlocked but the shop foreman suggested i lock it everytime. I have never really locked any of my cars in my garage so wondering what others thought and did.

cheers
Old 02-12-2016, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Normally I leave the car unlocked in the garage. If I am going away (using someone else's car or a taxi to airport) for more than a day or two I do lock it. My garage is attached to the condo unit at the kitchen area. I have that door included in my alarm system and also the overhead door, but generally bypass the overhead door on the alarm panel. When going away (with my car in or out of the garage) I include the overhead door in the alarm arming as a precaution. One of my motion sensors is aimed right at that door from the garage to the kitchen area, so if some crook does get into the garage and then into the condo, the screeching siren hopefully will scare them away. I live in a very safe area, but since I euthanized my sick dog a few years ago (I live alone) I do get nervous sleeping "unprotected", hence the alarm system.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Pork, the foreman suggested you lock the car every time you park it for the evening? Why? Security or another concern?

I lock things up if I'm going to be gone for an extended period. Certainly not every night.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is locked anytime I am not in it.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I just lock it. Force of habit. Does not really harm anyone to lock it up whether it is parked in a secure garage in a condo or home. I live in a condo with a secure parking garage. Thieves manage to break in and break into cars. They either got help from a resident or got hold of the key fob through other means.

Also, don't leave stuff in your car whether in a secure garage or not. If there are thieves looking to loot a car, they'll skip over cars that don't have anything in the seats or doors pockets or center console.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In my house's attached garage I never lock it (save for a long trip where no one will be home). I go out to the car too often to make sure I have the key with me every time. I can see locking it if separated from home or in a garage with other people accessing it
Old 02-12-2016, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unlocked 99% of the time in the garage unless i forgot to close the moon roof or windows after leaving the car. Then i have to use the remote to close them and at the same time locking the car. Hate to have spiders in the car.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't even fathom why I'd want to lock the car while it's in the garage (attached to the house, and the overhead door is almost always closed. In any other setting (apartment complex garage, parked in the driveway, etc.) I'd absolutely lock the car -- it's so simple to do and the benefits are so high.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't bother locking it in my attached garage. Getting into a closed garage door is next to impossible from the outside. My house is alarmed but if someone managed to break in the house they wouldn't have time to do more than grab our small kitchen TV and toaster, much less than to go into the garage to steal my old iPod out of the car's console. If they managed to find where we hide the car keys, they could unlock the car anyway. And probably steal it. One reason to make sure your insurance premiums are paid on time.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:33 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

I feel it's not a matter of thinking someone is going to steal the car from the garage, but for me it's a matter of making it a habit of locking the doors whenever I leave the car no matter where it is. Also I thought I read about some systems going into low power "sleep/standby" mode when the car is locked.

Quick Reply: Car parked in garage armed or unarmed?