Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Car Wash Basics and Essentials

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Wash Basics and Essentials

I tried looking through the "Detailings" section of the forums, but not finding much info.

Is there a tutorial or thread around here that cover the basics and esssentials of car washing your Audi?

Car wash soap? Washing mitt? Glass spray? Tires treatments? Waxing?

What to do, not to do, etc.?

Not looking to go crazy, but I like to try keeping my black A6 clean and presentable.

Thanks,
Old 05-28-2016, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

A few years old but most still applies:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...gimen-2838281/

Since I had my Opti-Coat Pro/Plus ceramic paint protection applied, the waxing part is essentially no longer required.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven

Since I had my Opti-Coat Pro/Plus ceramic paint protection applied, the waxing part is essentially no longer required.
This is excellent--thanks for re-posting!
Old 05-29-2016, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by pathguy
This is excellent--thanks for re-posting!
YW. We aim to please.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd add a tip I recently discovered. I did have two of my cars treated with OptiCoat, which has the protective benefits mentioned above. One benefit it does not have, in case this appeals to you, is the slickness of the surface. After the hand-washing in my driveway, I spray on Adam's H20 Guard and Gloss sealant while still completely wet. A sweep of a fine mist has the entertaining effect of watching the water bead up and roll off the panels. Then, once dried with a good microfiber towel, the surface has the sensory-pleasing slickness on which your fingertips slide easily....and another temporary coating of sealant. Couldn't be easier and really like the results. This photo is from a horizontal surface from the "other car".

Old 05-29-2016, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The problem with waxing over Opti-Coat is it will only last a couple of weeks due to the low tensile characteristics of the finish - like water, the wax just doesn't stick very well and will wash off pretty easily.

If you add the Opti-Coat Plus layer, introduced a year or two ago,, it provides a slickness equal to a good wax and also adds a lot more gloss to the finish with no waxing needed. It also adds to the protection of the Opti-Coat Pro. Optimum created this extra layer product to answer the competition like CQuartz with the Opti-Coat longer lasting advantage. Adding the Plus layer is now the best of all worlds.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem with waxing over Opti-Coat is it will only last a couple of weeks due to the low tensile characteristics of the finish - like water, the wax just doesn't stick very well and will wash off pretty easily.

If you add the Opti-Coat Plus layer, introduced a year or two ago,, it provides a slickness equal to a good wax and also adds a lot more gloss to the finish with no waxing needed. It also adds to the protection of the Opti-Coat Pro. Optimum created this extra layer product to answer the competition like CQuartz with the Opti-Coat longer lasting advantage. Adding the Plus layer is now the best of all worlds.
I don't doubt the technical aspect of your note, but was interested to hear my OC Pro installer dissuade me from Plus and he sent me to find a water-based spray on sealant instead for more routine use. It would be interesting to listen to the both of you do a pro/con, but the H20 Gloss and Guard is just part of my routine car wash every 2nd-3rd time, and is so quick and easy as it also accelerates water drying via increased run-off even before the jelly blade and provides the psychological boost of some instant results. Either way, we all wind up taking great care of these great cars and enjoy the benefits!
Old 05-29-2016, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

thanks snagitseven. i did read that thread, and it was very helpful. thanks

i like to hear what folks are using for drying towels. i used these microfiber towels to dry after washing and they seem to be leaving behind lints and dirts.

Amazon.com: Chemical Guys MIC_506_12 Professional Grade Premium Microfiber Towels, Gold (16 in. x 16 in.) (Pack of 12): Automotive Amazon.com: Chemical Guys MIC_506_12 Professional Grade Premium Microfiber Towels, Gold (16 in. x 16 in.) (Pack of 12): Automotive

i am thinking of spending a little more and get these waffle towels for drying purposes.

Amazon.com: Meguiar's X2000 Water Magnet Microfiber Drying Towel: Automotive Amazon.com: Meguiar's X2000 Water Magnet Microfiber Drying Towel: Automotive

what would be good towels for washing glass?

any recommendations for tires dressing? gel? spray?
Old 05-29-2016, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

And what products for cleaning leather seats?

This?

Amazon.com: Meguiar's G10916 Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner & Conditioner - 15.2 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Meguiar's G10916 Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner & Conditioner - 15.2 oz.: Automotive
Old 05-29-2016, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I purchased all my microfiber towels and other products from these guys:
Car Care Microfiber Towels, Microfiber dusters and microfiber Detailing tools

None of my towels leave lint and if the car is clean, there should be no dirt.

As for glass, I've found the best glass cleaner on the market, hands down, is Sprayway Glass Cleaner and paper towels. It can be found in most hardware stores or online. It leaves no streaks.

This is what I use for the leather surfaces:
Optimum Protectant Plus offers complete protection for interior leather, vinyl, plastic & rubber dressing. vinyl and rubber dressing, vinyl
Just use sparingly and for those who have the ventilated seats, use very sparingly or you'll be spending an afternoon unclogging the hundreds of holes with a paperclip.

Quick Reply: Car Wash Basics and Essentials