Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Change dome & reading lights from LED to incandescent?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change dome & reading lights from LED to incandescent?

Yes I know, most people want to go in the opposite direction.. I have a '12 Prestige and I can't stand the interior reading and dome lights. They are so cold and uninviting, really disappointed with the color temperature audi chose; its like gymnasium or office.

Would so much rather some sort of LEDs that are warmer or switch it to incandescent.. Has anyone been able to go from LED interior dome lights to incandescent?

I looked up the parts for prestige and premium and oddly enough they all point to the same bulbs and assemblies which makes no sense..

** I ordered a few colored transparent vinyl sheets, I'm going to try to see which of the colors included will soften the look. I'm thinking the bronze or a light yellow may tone down the harshness of the LEDs. Watch this thread for pics next week. **

Thoughts? Thanks...

Last edited by WNT2FLY; 08-27-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by WNT2FLY
Yes I know, most people want to go in the opposite direction.. I have a '12 Prestige and I can't stand the interior reading and dome lights. They are so cold and uninviting, really disappointed with the color temperature audi chose; its like gymnasium or office.

Would so much rather some sort of LEDs that are warmer or switch it to incandescent.. Has anyone been able to go from LED interior dome lights to incandescent?

I looked up the parts for prestige and premium and oddly enough they all point to the same bulbs and assemblies which makes no sense..

** I ordered a few colored transparent vinyl sheets, I'm going to try to see which of the colors included will soften the look. I'm thinking the bronze or a light yellow may tone down the harshness of the LEDs. Watch this thread for pics next week. **

Thoughts? Thanks...
Have you checked online for the correct bulb part number but in an LED color temperature of about 3500K?
Old 08-28-2014, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LED lights are now becoming available to replace bulbs at home, the ones that are most like incandescent are a color temperature of 2700K. BTW, 4200-4800K are the most appropriate for Headlights, because they give the best light to see at night. Kid's tend to install 6000K and higher because they have a purple tint.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dicktahoe
LED lights are now becoming available to replace bulbs at home, the ones that are most like incandescent are a color temperature of 2700K. BTW, 4200-4800K are the most appropriate for Headlights, because they give the best light to see at night. Kid's tend to install 6000K and higher because they have a purple tint.
My whole house is LED - approx. 3200K for inside and a moonlight 5600K for outside. I calculated that if I live to be over 215 years old I will make out like a bandit in energy costs
Old 08-28-2014, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DB22
Have you checked online for the correct bulb part number but in an LED color temperature of about 3500K?
I would say this is the best answer if the LED arrays are built as pluggable - vinyl's going to look tacky IMO, and probably not get what you want. It's not clear to me, but central convenience may be coded differently for LED than incandescent, otherwise you could probably find a willing partner for a swap. (I know back in the day, my dealer had folks looking for Xenon to Halogen swaps for similar reasons, and they had plenty of takers, but warranty and technical hurdles prevented them offering the service.)

Actually DB22 (apologies for somewhat hijacking OP's thread) I was going to ask if you had part #s and/or suggested specific bulbs as I recalled you'd replaced your interior incandescent lights with LEDs. I understand getting the "right" resistance to avoid bulb-out codes may be tricky, as is some of the fitment.

I noted with great surprise that the trunk lamp had no reflector at all - just a black plastic housing! I was toying with the idea of getting a unidirectional LED array if I could find one which would be "code-free".
Old 08-28-2014, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
Actually DB22 (apologies for somewhat hijacking OP's thread) I was going to ask if you had part #s and/or suggested specific bulbs as I recalled you'd replaced your interior incandescent lights with LEDs. I understand getting the "right" resistance to avoid bulb-out codes may be tricky, as is some of the fitment.

I noted with great surprise that the trunk lamp had no reflector at all - just a black plastic housing! I was toying with the idea of getting a unidirectional LED array if I could find one which would be "code-free".
I did change the trunk to LED and it's better illuminated inside the trunk but I do have a code error. I also changed to LED's in the doors red lights. It did not change the illumination and I do not know if it gives an error for the doors as I have not scanned since the change. I am personally not worried about error codes for these lights only error lights that are useful to me such: Code Oh Sh** - Your supercharger has been seen 17 miles behind you, please take your car to the dealer immediately.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I did change the trunk to LED and it's better illuminated inside the trunk but I do have a code error. I also changed to LED's in the doors red lights.
Gotcha, <s>I'd still appreciate a pointer to the ones you used</s> - I'll probably be my usual retentive self and try and find the same size in "code-free" but having a known fitment will still be a good start!

EDIT: NVM, I just re-read your response in my trunk thread and remembered you weren't happy with the assemblies you'd bought. I guess I'll be a guinea pig here for some various LED assemblies.

Last edited by Richard Solomon; 08-28-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

See thread re trunk lights
Old 08-29-2014, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Been a busy week.. I can't find any part #s for the LED bulbs. From what i can tell the housing and sockets for the LED in the prestige are completely different then what is in the premium and premium plus. I can find all the parts for prem/prem+, but cant find anything for prestige..

Not looking good..
Old 08-29-2014, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

I can't find the bulb part # or anything, i'd take 2700k if i could, but I can't figure out how to get the housing apart or anything... anyone know how to get the housing off? i can test on the rear reading lights...