Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Chinese Audi A6 styling and name Clone

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Thanks, I do feel better.

While Chinese knock-off products are usually much inferior to the originals, their factories are capable of manufacturing quality products (perhaps not automobiles) so long as an offshore company has specified and controls the design, build process and components. Take for example much of the Korean and U.S. consumer electronics companies such as Samsung and Apple built in Chinese factories to their own design and specs. Of course, those products are made for global distribution and not solely for Chinese consumption as these "Audis" will be, so they have to be superior.
Chinese manufacturers tend to produce 2 types of products: consumption by the ROW, consumption within China. The delta between the products are quite pronounced on a number of facets: QA (quality assurance), MTBF (mean time between failures), grade, and post support - in China the post-sales experience makes what we get in the US appear to be world-class

This is also one of the primary reasons that when people in China want something that lasts and is built 'right', they purchase the export models of the product...even when a significant premium is added.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
This is also one of the primary reasons that when people in China want something that lasts and is built 'right', they purchase the export models of the product...even when a significant premium is added.
True, but these days many of the products Chinese factories make for other manufacturers for export outside of China are identical to those available for internal consumption. Apple is a good example - the iPhones made for sale in China are no different than those made for the U.S. or anywhere in the world for that matter.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

True, but these days many of the products Chinese factories make for other manufacturers for export outside of China are identical to those available for internal consumption. Apple is a good example - the iPhones made for sale in China are no different than those made for the U.S. or anywhere in the world for that matter.
I wouldn't use the term 'many' in terms of the products have no delta in production. Having been to China on a number of occasions, I've seen first hand how they essentially run 2 supply lines out of the same factory and have greater tolerance, hence greater defects for the Chinese only products vs. the same product which will be exported.

Apple is a niche example, since they have exclusivity direct from the ODM (original device manufacturer) and their spec to the ODM is singular worldwide. On the other hand, companies such as Lenovo have various spec grades.

Ok....enough of the geek stuff...the fact is that the A6 'homage' is f-ugly and i'd be surprised if it wouldn't fall apart in less than 30K miles and most likely has leverage weaker materials that would be a liability in a collision.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I wouldn't use the term 'many' in terms of the products have no delta in production.
OK, I'll change "many" to "some", and to paraphrase a recent post in this thread, if it makes you feel better.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

OK, I'll change "many" to "some", and to paraphrase a recent post in this thread, if it makes you feel better.
i could care less about it making me or you feel better...just that stating 'many' is plain wrong, when it's not the norm...the norm in China is a bifurcated manufacturing model.

BTW, as for crazy stuff out of china...there's all kinds of weird stuff:

Chinese Woman Gets Revenge On Son-In-Law By Putting Car Onto Building
Old 12-09-2014, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

i could care less about it making me or you feel better...
Read your post #9. You offerred to make me feel better then so I was just passing it back.
I'm guessing many of our readers have moved on from this thread due to this illuminating discussion vein. Let's just agree the Chinese Audi rip-off pictured is not equal to an Audi in any sense and move on as well. I have.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bickering aside

The one interesting thing I will take from this is that the Chinese poached the back seat setup from the A8 and put it in their fake A6 (rear seat DVD and armrest controls). I would actually like to see Audi do this . . . I like the size of the A6 much better than the A8 (and the old man stigma is not helping the A8 for me, either) but there are some options like rear seat entertainment that you cannot get in the A6.

The Chinese aren't the only ones stealing. I think the wheels on this vehicle bear a striking resemblance to the 20 inch sport wheels on the A6:

The Audi A6 20 inch sport package wheels now come on the Chrysler 200?

Last edited by BrentCPA; 12-15-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Is it true that with the Chinese Audi A6 that an hour after you've gone on a spirited drive you want to go out and drive it again?

Seriously: Back in the early 2000's I worked for a major US manufacturer (really big). The CEO went on a several week trip to China and sealed a number of deals relating to them producing parts that ultimately would wind up on US cars. I remember him saying after he came back from this trip that the biggest single impression (and shock) he had was how young their management teams were. Virtually all the VP and up people in the various companies he visited were under 30, some barely 20.