Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Chipwerke piggyback results

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 08:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NightCrawler
You are correct. From the posts I read on the S4 board it seems all warranty work now requires the dealer to hook up to the diagnostic computer before Audi will approve it. So in my case I was in last week for a headlight issue. If that is correct my dealer had to hook my car up before Audi would give them the approval to fix the headlight sensor. If that software could detect the piggyback, even if removed, my car would automatically then receive the TD1 requiring Audi to then manually approve all future warranty work. That's my take on this. Are you saying that BMW doesn't do this with their dealers?
Nope. BMW has never flagged anything on me. I've gone with the piggyback and downpipes installed on the X5M, went with a full Dinan package on the 540, and neither one had any warranty issues.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_L
I don't know anymore. It was removed, and Audi definitely was in the computer, because the MMI was updated. I didn't think they could see it once it was off, but after reading that memo, I really don't know at this point.
Sounds like you are okay then, even with a simple oil change you can get flagged.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know anymore. It was removed, and Audi definitely was in the computer, because the MMI was updated. I didn't think they could see it once it was off, but after reading that memo, I really don't know at this point.
I think it's a crapshoot. That memo was clear it won't pick up everything and for an MMI issue I wouldn't expect any further investigation. But that memo made it seem as if even if the computer doesn't pick it up the technician can still use other tools to determine if mods have been done. My thought is it is at that point that your relationship becomes crucial. When the car is there for MMI work they aren't going to dig for mods. But if in for engine or tranny work they very well may do it.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NightCrawler
I think it's a crapshoot. That memo was clear it won't pick up everything and for an MMI issue I wouldn't expect any further investigation. But that memo made it seem as if even if the computer doesn't pick it up the technician can still use other tools to determine if mods have been done. My thought is it is at that point that your relationship becomes crucial. When the car is there for MMI work they aren't going to dig for mods. But if in for engine or tranny work they very well may do it.
Its a shame they feel this way, because I'm fairly certain that if I went internal, I could have made over 500bhp with this motor on the stock bottom end and blower. Never gonna get the chance now.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Its a shame they feel this way, because I'm fairly certain that if I went internal, I could have made over 500bhp with this motor on the stock bottom end and blower. Never gonna get the chance now.
I read a few different threads now on TD1, it appears the piggy back they can find is the type that connects to the ECU directly in some way. The one in this thread does not.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:53 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read those threads a while ago (memo included) and still I decided to tune my car, that is why I said not even dealers know how the software works, running in the background while warranty work is performed but looking for history logs or looking for current values? If they are looking for history logs and something is off the code is generated automatically regardless if you uninstalled or flashed back the car to stock.

Mike said the M-M act will protect us against that, I really hope that is the case.

When I mentioned 90% of the claim being authorized depends in your relationship with the dealer is because they DO NOT deny automatically every single power train warranty claim even if you have the TD1 code.
Audi corporate is not going to send somebody to check your car to determine of the tune/piggyback caused the failure.
Audi corporate is going to ask your dealer what your dealer believes caused it and if it is related.
That is why you must be very straight forward and keep a good relationship with your dealer.

They always tell me what recalls it campaigns perform in my car WITHOUT connecting the Audi main computer, because they know my car is tuned.

And realistically we are not drag racing our cars and it is very unlikely the engine or transmission will fail in the first 4 years of ownership unless something was wrong since the beginning.

Last edited by feralc; 03-09-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep. Real easy now. I actually got in when they first started, before they made it this easy.

I was looking at A8s, but if Audi is going to treat their customers like this, theres no way I'm buying another one. My BMW dealer would never pull this **** with me, nor would BMW.
I'm glad you've had such good treatment by BMW cars, I can tell you first hand that is not the case with BMW Motorcycles. I had a knocking at start-up on my BMW R1200RT (by the way this was my 4th BMW bike). The dealer disassembled the engine and found one piston with scoring on the side skirt, and he told BMW since it was only one piston and everything else in the engine was perfect that it was probably a manufacturing defect. BMW came back to ask me "Are you using Motorcycle Specific Oil", which meant if I was Using Mobil1 car oil at the correct viscosity--No Warrantee. Fortunately I was using Amsoil Motorcycle Oil and I sent them a picture of one of my containers. Then the BMW Service Rep checked further and found I was using a BMW Oil filter from the one-year previous model (it was basically the same filter but a little taller than the new model). Warrantee Denied! "You want to go fight for your rights--go ahead and hire a lawyer, but we're not covering it under warrantee." BTW BMW motorcycles is well known for disallowing engine warrantee if you install a K&N Air Filter. You can fight it under M-M, but do you want to tie you bike up for months while the courts sort it out.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dicktahoe
I'm glad you've had such good treatment by BMW cars, I can tell you first hand that is not the case with BMW Motorcycles. I had a knocking at start-up on my BMW R1200RT (by the way this was my 4th BMW bike). The dealer disassembled the engine and found one piston with scoring on the side skirt, and he told BMW since it was only one piston and everything else in the engine was perfect that it was probably a manufacturing defect. BMW came back to ask me "Are you using Motorcycle Specific Oil", which meant if I was Using Mobil1 car oil at the correct viscosity--No Warrantee. Fortunately I was using Amsoil Motorcycle Oil and I sent them a picture of one of my containers. Then the BMW Service Rep checked further and found I was using a BMW Oil filter from the one-year previous model (it was basically the same filter but a little taller than the new model). Warrantee Denied! "You want to go fight for your rights--go ahead and hire a lawyer, but we're not covering it under warrantee." BTW BMW motorcycles is well known for disallowing engine warrantee if you install a K&N Air Filter. You can fight it under M-M, but do you want to tie you bike up for months while the courts sort it out.
I would have fought them. Absolutely. They need to learn that they don't make the rules. The government makes them and they have to abide by them.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Check out this thread, it basically states they are recording all deviations outside of normal specs with a T10 code:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...299-No-Allowed

Audi stated that some of their warranty codes have changed and only apply to certain vehicles. In this case T10 is the warranty code for air/fuel ratio, boost pressure, and exhaust modification. (I guess it still classifies as engine tuning, so T10 can be a broader example??? IDK)

With a T10 code the powertrain warranty is void (engine/transmission) and that’s all. Recalls (Audi calls them campaigns) will ALWAYS be performed no matter the mileage, warranty code, etc. TSB's however will not be performed because they are in place to help the service technician diagnose a new problem. Everything else on the car however is covered under warranty until 50k.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Found a few more T codes they can flag you with.

Key Description
T10 Motor tuning/ racing car/ Extreme usage
T23 Chip Tuning
T26 Change Exhaust System/ diesel particulate
T40 Running Gear Tuning
T50 Changed Vehicle Body
T68 Change Inside Furnishing
T90 Change instrumentation / speedometer

Quick Reply: Chipwerke piggyback results