Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Chipwerke piggyback results

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 10:21 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Go123
Found a few more T codes they can flag you with.

Key Description
T10 Motor tuning/ racing car/ Extreme usage
T23 Chip Tuning
T26 Change Exhaust System/ diesel particulate
T40 Running Gear Tuning
T50 Changed Vehicle Body
T68 Change Inside Furnishing
T90 Change instrumentation / speedometer
TD1 is the main code, all the others will be just to specify what triggered the TD1 "flag"
This is an actual TD1 code showing in a Golf's information
Attached Images  
Old 03-09-2014, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by feralc
TD1 is the main code, all the others will be just to specify what triggered the TD1 "flag"
This is an actual TD1 code showing in a Golf's information
How can we get a print out like that with the vehicle data?
Old 03-09-2014, 11:53 AM
Banned

How can we get a print out like that with the vehicle data?
That's what the dealer sees
If you are branded or not the dealer will see it.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Check out this thread, it basically states they are recording all deviations outside of normal specs with a T10 code:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...299-No-Allowed

Audi stated that some of their warranty codes have changed and only apply to certain vehicles. In this case T10 is the warranty code for air/fuel ratio, boost pressure, and exhaust modification. (I guess it still classifies as engine tuning, so T10 can be a broader example??? IDK)

With a T10 code the powertrain warranty is void (engine/transmission) and that’s all. Recalls (Audi calls them campaigns) will ALWAYS be performed no matter the mileage, warranty code, etc. TSB's however will not be performed because they are in place to help the service technician diagnose a new problem. Everything else on the car however is covered under warranty until 50k.
While that linked multi-page thread is almost 2 years old, post #44, describing what the user was told by Audi, would seem to indicate that even a piggyback mod can be detected by Audi by virtue of the boost history when the car "phones home" at the dealer.

It also seems that Audi can justify the intent of the Mag-Moss warranty issues on the powertrain by their assertions that many of these identified mods can cause exceeding the design operating parameters. One has to believe that Audi would have had a whole gaggle of lawyers interpreting Mag-Moss before coming up with these TD1, T10 or whatever code warranty exclusions and feeling confident they would prevail in court if push came to shove.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

That's what the dealer sees
If you are branded or not the dealer will see it.
Do you think they are obligated to tell you if you are branded?
Old 03-09-2014, 12:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by snagitseven
While that linked multi-page thread is almost 2 years old, post #44, describing what the user was told by Audi, would seem to indicate that even a piggyback mod can be detected by Audi by virtue of the boost history when the car "phones home" at the dealer. It also seems that Audi can justify the intent of the Mag-Moss warranty issues on the powertrain by their assertions that many of these identified mods can cause exceeding the design operating parameters. One has to believe that Audi would have had a whole gaggle of lawyers interpreting Mag-Moss before coming up with these TD1, T10 or whatever code warranty exclusions and feeling confident they would prevail in court if push came to shove.
Totally agree with Snagit post
And really this is a carmaker right, if you are playing with the product further the limits specified when it was produced (for whatever the reason is, target marketing, product differentiation, fuel consumption, etc)
And something breaks because of THAT then they should not be covering warranties.
The problem I see is they can come with excuses to blanket denial of an unrelated problem.

But as I said before the risk of this happening is slim (at least while the warranty is in effect) it is German quality.

I am pretty comfortable with my tune and I sleep well at night, some people can't stand the risk, then tuning is not for them
Old 03-09-2014, 12:07 PM
Banned

Do you think they are obligated to tell you if you are branded?
I don't think so, but for what I have read in multiple posts in audizine the dealer informed after a warranty claim was submitted (but never because the tranny or engine failed but because excessive oil burning or things like that)
Old 03-09-2014, 12:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have nothing more to say on this subject, except this; VAG may end up being very sorry for doing this. There are more tuners than they realize. The Automotive aftermarket is a billion dollar a year industry. If you screw with them, they are going to stay away in droves. When Chrysler locked their PCMs, people stayed away until it was cracked. Same thing is going to happen to VAG. Thats gonna hurt the bottom line, especially for a company that claims they can be the number 1 automaker in the next few years.

I, for one, would have never even looked at Audi had I known about this. I'm sure there are others who feel the same way.

I'll have parts for sale in the classifieds later on in the week, for those who are going to stay around and deal with their crap.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike_L
I have nothing more to say on this subject, except this; VAG may end up being very sorry for doing this. There are more tuners than they realize. The Automotive aftermarket is a billion dollar a year industry. If you screw with them, they are going to stay away in droves. When Chrysler locked their PCMs, people stayed away until it was cracked. Same thing is going to happen to VAG. Thats gonna hurt the bottom line, especially for a company that claims they can be the number 1 automaker in the next few years. I, for one, would have never even looked at Audi had I known about this. I'm sure there are others who feel the same way. I'll have parts for sale in the classifieds later on in the week, for those who are going to stay around and deal with their crap.
Are you for real selling your car because of this? you have never purchased an used car out of warranty? It is the same.
I could assume all brands are doing the same, I give you the benefit of the doubt with your BMW experience but I would imagine BMW is the same (just like the motorcycle experience)

And by the way Audi indeed locked their ECUs, my car was actually the first A7 cracked in the US by GIAC then the other tuners followed.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you for real selling your car because of this? you have never purchased an used car out of warranty? It is the same.
I could assume all brands are doing the same, I give you the benefit of the doubt with your BMW experience but I would imagine BMW is the same (just like the motorcycle experience)

And by the way Audi indeed locked their ECUs, my car was actually the first A7 cracked in the US by GIAC then the other tuners followed.
Its not just because of this, but this certainly didn't help. It needs like $2500 in work done, and frankly, I don't want to pay for it all. Its all bull**** that should be covered or never should have happened. They want $1500 for the rear shock mounts, which is ridiculous when I'm sure I can have it done elsewhere for about $500. They're telling me $540 for the 15k mile service, which VW covers for their cars but not Audis. And I have to have the rear bumper painted, because the snow and ice did a number on the paint and took chunks of it off on the side. What kind of paint gets damaged by water? Frozen water, sure, but its still water! Add that to the tires I already had replaced this winter due to bubbles, and this car is turning into a money pit. Last car I spent this much servicing was the 540i, and that was only because I always put on better parts to replace busted ones. All the Chryslers, all the GMs, the X5M, everything was covered. Why Audi doesn't cover this crap is beyond me.

I can't sell until one of the dealers finds a car with the options I want, which could take quite a while. The A6 will remain stock though while I wait, with just a K&N drop-in. I'll do the repairs I need to (bumper, so I don't get screwed even more on the trade), keep the mileage down so I don't have to do the 15k service (sitting at 12.2k), and decide about the mounts depending on how much they bother me and what prices Indys give me.

As far as Audi locking their ECUs, what they have is childs play compared to what Chrysler is using. Since 2011, every Chrysler PCM is encrypted with 128 bit, rolling code, military encryption. Its ridiculous. It took over a year and a half for the best crackers in the business to get into them. All that just to try to keep down warranty claims.

Last edited by Mike_L; 03-09-2014 at 01:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Chipwerke piggyback results