Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Chipwerke piggyback results

Old 06-22-2016, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

My frd is getting the CEL from CW S...VAG code is 9779 boost pressure P0235 regulation range not reached and 6307 MAP/MAF throttle position correlation P0068. The car runs fine....but the CEL pops up....he is on default settings and he is gonna try the full reset (pulling battery) and see what happens
Old 06-22-2016, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Love the EPL tune. It is smooth like stock but power everywhere and after several days of learning it really wakes up. Part throttle or launches from dead stop will throw you back. Best is S Mode, Trac Off, Load the engine a little like 2500-3000 and brake and stomp it.

Way more consistent then the CW. Tranny pulls hard and shifts to redline 90% of the time. the 8ZF still gets a mind of its own sometimes depending on load and torque and might shift at 5k.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Vodka G
My frd is getting the CEL from CW S...VAG code is 9779 boost pressure P0235 regulation range not reached and 6307 MAP/MAF throttle position correlation P0068. The car runs fine....but the CEL pops up....he is on default settings and he is gonna try the full reset (pulling battery) and see what happens
lower the rpm setting one notch on the box.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I finally got chance to ride in a chipwerke car few days ago. WOW, amazing at the amount of additional torque produced.

Some of you may know i'm a big proponent of real tunes and not chipped cars but I have to say that for the money... that's an amazing bang for the buck. Plus its an easy on/off in 5 minutes for any cars still under warranty.

I may reconsider my stance on the chipwerke if I ever get my hands on one, and measure the effects before and after using my scan gauge, now that I know it's based on resistor design that changes IAT readings mapped to the ECM.

All in all... very impressive.

oh and yes... I did notice and was informed about the hiccup shifting from 1-2 gears. Seems to be the only complaint regarding lag out of 1st gear.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes I agree I did a write up on CW vs EPL Tune recently on here.
I have heard some people 'tune' the settings to avoid the lag but in reality there is no feedback and the tranny is torque sensing based. Without a tune it will never go over the stock limit of torque so YES the tune works but it hits the torque/boost so early in gear that it is forced to shortshift. You can tune that out which is reduce the boost when it hit till upper gears.

My dashcomman,perfexpert,vag come runs all said the same results. 0-60 and 1/8mi times stock vs CW were about the same. Best case the CW is 0.3sec faster with right conditions but it does feel a whole lot better getting there. Top end in 4th and above it is a different story. CW is a beast.

I enjoy redlight and 0-60 i drive in the US not at 100mph. So I switched to EPL and the smoothness and immediate power at all conditions is evident. my same test for 0-60, 1/8mil was easily 1sec faster over stock and CW

These numbers are relative not absolute but the testing was consistent. so the results show the level of difference.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

What I have heard epople doing and I might try it.

They are using CW top of tuned cars. If you can monitor the knock/retard and afr you can dial in more boost over a stage one and probably a little more down lwo since the tune allows more torque across the board.

Takes you to stage 2 level, maybe 1.5 level without the pulley work

What I love about EPL is I can flash back to stock tune via my laptop in 2 minutes and drive into the dealer. I have done it, cleared all codes and had no issues.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jjcuff1
What I have heard epople doing and I might try it.

They are using CW top of tuned cars. If you can monitor the knock/retard and afr you can dial in more boost over a stage one and probably a little more down lwo since the tune allows more torque across the board.

Takes you to stage 2 level, maybe 1.5 level without the pulley work

What I love about EPL is I can flash back to stock tune via my laptop in 2 minutes and drive into the dealer. I have done it, cleared all codes and had no issues.
I can see how anyone would think that, as it kind of makes sense if one does not understand the programing architecture of how modern computer controlled cars build horsepower. But I'm sorry to disagree that this would be a completely backwards approach that would shift or destroy any performance gains to add a chip to a tuned car. Obviously to each their own.
An engine tune means reprogramming the car's computer to run many different parameters at different conditions for better performance. The tune runs to real-world conditions making better performance.

A stock car's tune runs at economical air fuel ratio and timing curve, along with more docile fuel curves to meet gas mileage targets and EPA guidelines. A better tuned car just narrows down the flexibility margins further and makes the car run more power based ratios to maximize power and sacrifice low-end, or high-end, or fuel-economy, or whatever to ensure max power where desired.

Adding any aftermarket chip on-top of a tuned car would be like taking a finely tuned anything... then faking the tuned conditions causing a shift in performance peaks. Instead of max power at custom tuned 3200 RPM, maybe now engine peaks at 2800 RPM or 3800 RPM. Might as well just tune it for max power at 2800 if that's preferred.

Nobody panic, just my opinion based on my tuning experience. For those willing to try piggy backing on a tune, only dyno comparisons will reveal the truth. = )
Old 06-28-2016, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by IknowHuhA6
I can see how anyone would think that, as it kind of makes sense if one does not understand the programing architecture of how modern computer controlled cars build horsepower. But I'm sorry to disagree that this would be a completely backwards approach that would shift or destroy any performance gains to add a chip to a tuned car. Obviously to each their own.
An engine tune means reprogramming the car's computer to run many different parameters at different conditions for better performance. The tune runs to real-world conditions making better performance.

A stock car's tune runs at economical air fuel ratio and timing curve, along with more docile fuel curves to meet gas mileage targets and EPA guidelines. A better tuned car just narrows down the flexibility margins further and makes the car run more power based ratios to maximize power and sacrifice low-end, or high-end, or fuel-economy, or whatever to ensure max power where desired.

Adding any aftermarket chip on-top of a tuned car would be like taking a finely tuned anything... then faking the tuned conditions causing a shift in performance peaks. Instead of max power at custom tuned 3200 RPM, maybe now engine peaks at 2800 RPM or 3800 RPM. Might as well just tune it for max power at 2800 if that's preferred.

Nobody panic, just my opinion based on my tuning experience. For those willing to try piggy backing on a tune, only dyno comparisons will reveal the truth. = )
I agree with you. I had the CW and my earlier post share your sentiment. It feels great for SOTP but my home dyno test proves it is actually no faster even slower most of the times for redlights and stomps. What it does do is make the engine sound much rougher under load, burn thru about 2-3mpg more, short shift and make my tranny feel broken under launch.

Now it does add boost and you can feel it and it feels fast over 4th gear.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not sure what you are trying to say here but many people are successfully stacking CW on tunes because they are running dual pulley cars on standard stage 2 tunes. Obviously you will bleed boost on a dual pulley car when you are running a tune that is designed only for the SC pulley. When you stack the CW you keep the bypass closed similarly to how it works on stage 1. This is how the record holder for the B8 S4 just ran an 11.2 in the 1/4 mile

I finally got chance to ride in a chipwerke car few days ago. WOW, amazing at the amount of additional torque produced.

Some of you may know i'm a big proponent of real tunes and not chipped cars but I have to say that for the money... that's an amazing bang for the buck. Plus its an easy on/off in 5 minutes for any cars still under warranty.

I may reconsider my stance on the chipwerke if I ever get my hands on one, and measure the effects before and after using my scan gauge, now that I know it's based on resistor design that changes IAT readings mapped to the ECM.

All in all... very impressive.

oh and yes... I did notice and was informed about the hiccup shifting from 1-2 gears. Seems to be the only complaint regarding lag out of 1st gear.

That is not at all how the CW works. The CW makes no changes at all to IAT readings. It modifies the map signal across the rev band making the car see less boost than actual so the car will open the bypass to attempt to meet boost targets.

Mike
Old 07-04-2016, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
Not sure what you are trying to say here but many people are successfully stacking CW on tunes because they are running dual pulley cars on standard stage 2 tunes. Obviously you will bleed boost on a dual pulley car when you are running a tune that is designed only for the SC pulley. When you stack the CW you keep the bypass closed similarly to how it works on stage 1. This is how the record holder for the B8 S4 just ran an 11.2 in the 1/4 mile

That is not at all how the CW works. The CW makes no changes at all to IAT readings. It modifies the map signal across the rev band making the car see less boost than actual so the car will open the bypass to attempt to meet boost targets.

Mike
Not sure what you mean by obviously since we all have different ranges of experiences. When it comes to custom tuning there is no "obviously". Please clarify your confusion and your "dual pulley" statement. Do you mean interchangeable pulleys? But I reiterrate, no need to add a chip tune when you can program the car on a custom tune to do exactly what you need from the beginning. However.. I woudl understand if the tuners do not have access to modify that particular parameter on the engine, and cannot access to modify the circumstances under when the bypass will actuate.

When you say the map signal is modified... do you mean the manifold absolute pressure? That sounds interesting and definitely an interesting approach. I can see tricking the PCM to see less boost and changing the operation of the boost bypass to keep it closed longer, causing sooner boost and less bypass.

I myself have contemplated modification of the boost bypass to favor additional boost across expanded range but my approach was mechanical and would completely kill fuel economy. So if this is what CW does in electronic format it's definitely a nice approach.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chipwerke piggyback results