Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Chipwerke piggyback results

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dual pulley refers to an underdrive SC pulley and an overdrive CP used in unison. There is no custom tune for this available that is widespread (although EPL has some versions available I believe). People are running their stage 2 tunes on the dual pulley cars. Because the car is programmed with boost targets that would now be far below what a dual pulley car can make for boost, you need either a different tune or you can use CW. CW makes the sensor see less boost that the car is actually making thereby making the ECU think it is not hitting boost targets and then the ECU closes the bypass valve. This gets you maximum boost. You're getting another few psi in boost. I gained about 50whp stage 1, another 30whp on my SC pulley, and i would guess people are seeing about another 25-35whp with dual pulleys depending on the size of overdrive CP they use.

Mike
Old 07-05-2016, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BHVRDR is correct. Here in tampa there are 2 guys that I know of doing the dual pulley tunes 1 on an s4 and another on the a6. Both ended up TD1.

The A6 guy ended up with a lot of engine problems created by too much power I suspect.
He apr stage 2 with no muffler and did 12.5. Then he added a new tranny shift mounts for stiffer shifts, awe cooler system, dual pulleys, apr stage 2. he added the CW to get more boost.

He could smoke all 4 tires and his p3 had 0-60 below 4 sec!!!
But he kept getting cam timing code 0018. WHich means the 2 bankls were out of sync until he had to take it to audi.

The timing belt had stretched and/or tensioner could keep up. Either way he was down.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
Dual pulley refers to an underdrive SC pulley and an overdrive CP used in unison. There is no custom tune for this available that is widespread (although EPL has some versions available I believe). People are running their stage 2 tunes on the dual pulley cars. Because the car is programmed with boost targets that would now be far below what a dual pulley car can make for boost, you need either a different tune or you can use CW. CW makes the sensor see less boost that the car is actually making thereby making the ECU think it is not hitting boost targets and then the ECU closes the bypass valve. This gets you maximum boost. You're getting another few psi in boost. I gained about 50whp stage 1, another 30whp on my SC pulley, and i would guess people are seeing about another 25-35whp with dual pulleys depending on the size of overdrive CP they use.

Mike
Awesome info. Thanks so much for taking the time to share that. After reading your post I researched bit more to find out the IAT sensors at side of blower also double as pressure sensors. WOW. I think I understand the Dual pulley reference now to mean the aftermarket smaller pulley option available which I have highly considered. I appreciate the explanation, it's completely making sense now. BTW, thanks for the vid link. Was fun to watch. I was impressed with the handling and courage of the turn at 4:35 in the video. Now that was awesome!

Originally Posted by jjcuff1
BHVRDR is correct. Here in tampa there are 2 guys that I know of doing the dual pulley tunes 1 on an s4 and another on the a6. Both ended up TD1.

The A6 guy ended up with a lot of engine problems created by too much power I suspect.
He apr stage 2 with no muffler and did 12.5. Then he added a new tranny shift mounts for stiffer shifts, awe cooler system, dual pulleys, apr stage 2. he added the CW to get more boost.

He could smoke all 4 tires and his p3 had 0-60 below 4 sec!!!
But he kept getting cam timing code 0018. WHich means the 2 bankls were out of sync until he had to take it to audi.

The timing belt had stretched and/or tensioner could keep up. Either way he was down.
This is why I am glad to be on this forum. Thanks for the helpful hints on what you've seen out there. It's a good indicator of what to watch out for. Engines are large air pumps that need to be build in proper sequence in my experience so I'll do my best to respect the demands of the engine as I start to built properly. This smaller pulley with CW chip (or other custom option by me already imagined) is definitely in the near future thanks to these last few threads.
Sounds like I need to check the chain stretch first before increasing boost.

Thanks you much for the helpful advice and teachings!
Old 07-19-2016, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by HaveBlue
lower the rpm setting one notch on the box.
I am on B1 stock setting already....in Socal with only 91 octane....replaced the box...but CEL still comes on.......

remove box and drove about 1000 miles and no CEL....

any clue??
Old 07-20-2016, 06:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have had it installed in my 2014 A7 for about 3 weeks and I got my first CEL last week. Ran ran fine with the CEL on for a few days and then it started occasionally having a rough idle at red lights/stop signs. After enduring that for a few days it got worse and began dying at a red light and giving me a start/stop system error( which I usually have turned off). I could restart the car, continue driving but eventually it would randomly die on me again.
I got home, disconnected it, and cleared the codes. Car works fine back to stock, including the start/stop system. I want to reconnect the CW but I am leary.
Is it best practice with the CW to disconnect every few weeks and run stock for a day or so?
Old 07-20-2016, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hugg727
I have had it installed in my 2014 A7 for about 3 weeks and I got my first CEL last week. Ran ran fine with the CEL on for a few days and then it started occasionally having a rough idle at red lights/stop signs. After enduring that for a few days it got worse and began dying at a red light and giving me a start/stop system error( which I usually have turned off). I could restart the car, continue driving but eventually it would randomly die on me again.
I got home, disconnected it, and cleared the codes. Car works fine back to stock, including the start/stop system. I want to reconnect the CW but I am leary.
Is it best practice with the CW to disconnect every few weeks and run stock for a day or so?
Do you remember the OBDII codes? I'd be real curious what systems were affected.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

still getting these codes

VAG code is 9779 boost pressure P0235 regulation range not reached and 6307 MAP/MAF throttle position correlation P0068.

this is with a replaced box from CW
Old 07-22-2016, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Vodka G

VAG code is 9779 boost pressure P0235 regulation range not reached and 6307 MAP/MAF throttle position correlation P0068.

This is very interesting. The 500-ish dollar price tag is supposed to avoid these error codes. I am pretty sure I can replicate the boost bypass mod that the Chipwerke is supposed to be electronically spoofing via mechanical means and get these same errors so if the product is not avoiding these error codes then what's the point of paying for it?

Thanks Vodka.. I'm going to start experimenting with mechanical duplication to see if these same errors appear. Which would mean the software programmers of the chipwereke have gone to sleep on their product. Not making any accusations just yet. Need some time to investigate.

Originally Posted by jjcuff1
.......The A6 guy ended up with a lot of engine problems created by too much power I suspect......
There's no such think as too much power. Just a failure to get it to transfer where needed (to the ground). More than likely there is errors in the management of the PCM/CPU software programming. Tuning engines is not easy... alot of variables to consider.

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 07-22-2016 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Those are the codes I got after a year of trouble free operation. The code was triggered during a hard pull on an on-ramp in some 95 degree weather. After that the car would start rough, and run a bit rough under idle at times. I pulled the unit and flashed the codes out and everything is back to normal. I have not bothered to put the unit back on. While I love the extra boost for highway passing speeds with the CW, I enjoy the smoothness around town with the stock setup.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Please check out the Harness for oxidation any point of male and female plugs and subD plug on the chip side..try oxidation remover or WD40.

Quick Reply: Chipwerke piggyback results