Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Climate Control inadequate

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Climate Control inadequate

I know that there are numerous posts regarding the inadequacies of Audi's implementation of a climate control system but my A6 is either broken or the worst system out there. Mine is the 4 zone system which is "supposed" to be better than the 3 zone system.

Firstly, it only displays temperature unless you push a button. If you are going to the trouble of installing a display then, at least, you can display air direction and fan speeds. BTW - the Q7 has addressed this issue although, it too, has its issues but most cars never had this issue to start with.

Secondly, the Auto button is the equivalent of opening the windows for having noise and wind blowing at you. My house or workplace never blows a draft at you, it gently reduces or increases the temperature. The B pillars have vents for the rear passengers but they mainly serve to make noise in the drivers ear as the vent is only about 6 inches from your head.
BMW have an intelligent solution to the fan noise by allowing a maximum fan value to be set in auto. I am amazed that Audi hasn't copied it, especially as Audi takes BMW as direct competition.

Thirdly, and this may be where mine is broken, is in a situation of driving a night when it's 52 outside and I have to set the temp at 70 but if I drive during sunshine and it's 75 outside I have to set the temp at 78.
If it's over 80 outside then the fan acts like a turbine and I have to take it out of auto.

Fourthly, if you take it out of Auto then the fan stays in auto and will randomly change.

The decisions that the car makes are curious at best and I have no evidence to substantiate they have anything to do with the temperature or the weather.
SnagIt, and others, have stated that they leave theirs in auto almost all of the time but mine has a mind of its own.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting symptoms. Have you taken it in and asked service to explain and look at the system.

My 4 zone always displays the temperature, it does blow fan in my face say if its parked in sun and the inside gets hot so its trying to bring the temperature back to normal.

Note that this was the same with my 5 series.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I would have it looked at. As stated above my 4 zone displays the temp, also blows the fan in my face for a short duration so you can hear it if it's parked in sun and the inside gets really hot. I do have the vents set so it is never blowing directly on me. When I first got the car I used to play around with the temp control but now I set it at 72 degrees year round and it suits me fine and we see some pretty extreme temperature swings here with the seasonal changes we go thru.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had good success by pointing the middle dash vents centered and up towards the ceiling. This way they are not blowing directly at you, they are pushing off the hot air that rises to the ceiling, and the cool air should fall down to you more gradually by convection.

The side vents don't seem to have as much airflow, but still leave them fully open, otherwise the partially closed flap may cause some noise.

Also make sure there is nothing blocking the temperature sensors. I believe they are the black circle on the control panel, and I think the nub on the center of the dash under the windshield is the sun direction sensor.

Lastly, I have FormulaOne Pinnacle ceramic tint and it really helps to block the heat coming through the windows. I can really feel the difference with my windshield which is only tinted on the top 8" so the only place heat comes through is the bottom.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't forget that there are AC settings in the MMI that can be adjusted as well. If they are all set at max, it could explain the hurricane fan symptoms you are experiencing.

Like the others, my system is "on high" after baking in the sun all day at work but calms down within 3-4 miles to the point it's not noticeable. So there's a chance something could be amiss, but have a look at the settings in the MMI to be sure.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
Thirdly, and this may be where mine is broken, is in a situation of driving a night when it's 52 outside and I have to set the temp at 70 but if I drive during sunshine and it's 75 outside I have to set the temp at 78.
If it's over 80 outside then the fan acts like a turbine and I have to take it out of auto.
When I first read this I wonder if your AC system has/had a leak and or is not sufficiently charged.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the four zone system and, like DB, have found that a temperature setting of say 72 will eventually allow the car to get too warm on a cold, cloudy day and too cool on a warm, sunny day. I generally end up with temperature set around 68 on cool or cold, cloudy days and 75 on warm or hot, sunny days. I use "auto" almost all the time due to the placement of the tiny fan and air flow buttons. To counter the annoying high speed fan noise, I spin the temperature **** up to 80 or so when the car has been sitting in the sun, then gradually lower the temperature to the desired setting as I drive. I find this technique to be easier and safer than groping for the tiny buttons.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the issue is, the temperature setting is not "absolute." - It's relative to the outside temperature.

It simply doesn't mean "keep it at 70 degrees inside," as I would expect it normally to? The inside temp. definitely didn't fluctuate as much relative to the outsite temp. in my C6 A6.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP - Your experiences pretty much reflect mine. I think we are spoiled by the BMW 4-zone system which was remarkable with all of the available easy adjustments and indicators. You didn't mention the BMW's ability to adjust the dash outlet temperature independent of the cabin temperature. A real plus.

I too find the Audi noise in AUTO much too loud. My solution? Don't use AUTO. It may be that the 3-zone systems do not have a B-pillar air outlet. The adjustments for air direction and fan speed take too much attention from the road. Simple adjustments were made too complex.

I find that fan speed does not automatically change unless it is in AUTO. But, maybe I just haven't noticed it. I've only had the car a month and the A/C hasn't been on that much.

I do find that the heater throws warm air in less than 60 seconds from a cold start. Amazing!
Old 05-01-2016, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Although my experience has been acceptable (mainly characterized by the car actually being able to cool down the interior in the summer - Texas) it has not been perfect.

I also think the fan stays running to high for too long and I find myself adjusting the temperature up when it's hot outside until the fan slows down, and then adjusting it down when it is cold outside to also slow the fan down.

I also miss my prior two cars ability to automatically engaged recirc when needed to rapidly cool the car down. There is an automatic recirc setting but I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is doing.

Quick Reply: Climate Control inadequate