Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Clunk on startup 3.0T

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 07:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Georgenyc - I think your post is a different issue being discussed - engine clunking on its own after startup. But I have to admit I did not test auto stop function before I bought it, and is clearly jerky/noticeable over how BMW did theirs. I found that if you press the brake harder the engine restarts - while fully ON the brake, which minimizes it
Old 07-26-2015, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Clunk

This happened to me after the transmission tsb update. It only occurred after driving for 30 min and then letting the car sit for 5 min and then restarting. I really noticed it when running errands or if stopping for fuel on a trip.

After a couple of visits to the dealer, they finally figured it out. The engine control module software has to be upgraded at the same time as the transmission tsb. They operate as a "matched pair" and both have to be upgraded at the same time. After the engine control module was updated the clunk went away and shifts were smooth again.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've taken my 12' 3.0T for the exact same issue twice and they said they couldn't duplicate it. I hear the clunk on an almost daily basis. Service adviser said it may be a control arm or some type of sway bar thing under the car that gets loose so he had the tech tighten up the bolts (sorry I don't remember exactly what part he said it was, but it was along those lines) in any event, I still hear it
Old 07-26-2015, 09:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I posted back in Feb and May (#24). Since then I kept bringing it in and complaining. Finally they made a decision, not to repair the tranny but to replace with a new one. They kept my car for 3 1/2 days. This was done in late May. After a few thousand miles I can honestly say it was not worth all the effort. I am experiencing the same issues and then some which include more lurching and jerky downshifts. I am not going back for this issue unless it quits or breaks. Their final consensus is "Noise not as noticeable after start up. Replaced transmission on vehicle and adapt to modules. Noise still present at times. Test drove vehicle with operations manager. Noise is normal. Vehicle operates as design". Service director, quality manager and shop foreman all drove it. I am sure they think I am ACN.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting that no dealership has found the cause of the problem.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by waltervahey
This happened to me after the transmission tsb update. It only occurred after driving for 30 min and then letting the car sit for 5 min and then restarting. I really noticed it when running errands or if stopping for fuel on a trip.

After a couple of visits to the dealer, they finally figured it out. The engine control module software has to be upgraded at the same time as the transmission tsb. They operate as a "matched pair" and both have to be upgraded at the same time. After the engine control module was updated the clunk went away and shifts were smooth again.
This does make sense.

As for my test of cold/warm startup with and without A/C, no dice. I dedicated a week for each combination and it happened in all conditions with equally random frequency. Safe to say the A/C Clutch can be ruled out.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The dealer will never know. I was told that the tranny will be sent back to Audi (ZF?) and that's it. I asked to be notified as to what the issue was once it was determined.
That's when they said they will not be informed so therefore I will not either. Think about it, if the problem starts to become known it could lead to dozens if not hundreds of people claiming the same problem and consequently big problem for them. So what they are trying to do is sweep the problem away.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by waltervahey

Can you please provide the TSB number for the ECM? I hate it when Audi is trying to fix something but introducing a different issue.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 2013 A6 3.0T and have the same exact issue! Only after the car is warmed up does my car make the clunk noise on startup.

I took it to the dealer and tried to have them update the ECM but they wanted me to pay for it! Later that day, they somehow "determined" that the transmission was bad due to low pressure?

Honestly, the car drives great with the exception of the clunk on startup.

If the ECM update is a for sure fix, I'd be willing to pay for it if some else can confirm.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by skandaluz
I have a 2013 A6 3.0T and have the same exact issue! Only after the car is warmed up does my car make the clunk noise on startup.

I took it to the dealer and tried to have them update the ECM but they wanted me to pay for it! Later that day, they somehow "determined" that the transmission was bad due to low pressure?

Honestly, the car drives great with the exception of the clunk on startup.

If the ECM update is a for sure fix, I'd be willing to pay for it if some else can confirm.
If you have a 2013, dont you still have the factory 4-year warranty? Why would they make you pay for it? Do you have campaign 37J1 performed? It appears that the "clunk" is attributed to 37J1.

Quick Reply: Clunk on startup 3.0T