Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Comfort vs Dynamic - What's your take?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

To throw another wrench into the works, for my CVT I have noticed that clutch engagement, ratio changes and gas pedal sensitivity are even smoother when Audi Drive Select is in Comfort compared to Auto for Engine/Transmission. This is with the gear selector in D, not S of course.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
There is no difference. D is D and S is S. What happens is that if you engage Dynamic mode, that engages S mode for the transmission. If you take the transmission out of S into D, that's the same as going into Individual mode and changing the transmission setting to Comfort or Auto, but leave everything else in Dynamic. I know Audi doesn't explain this very well in the owner's manual, but the transmission simply gives you direct control over its mode, whereas the steering mode you can only change by changing the drive select mode.
I would add that selecting S or D with the shifter also changes rhe engine throttle maps as well as the gearing maps.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Versions of the ZF 8-speed in other cars will not shift into the 8th speed (over drive) when in the sport mode. I believe this is also true in the A6 when the transmission lever is in S. What happens if the transmission is in D and the ADS is in Dynamic? Will the transmission shift into the 8th gear?
Old 05-19-2016, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by radarguy
Versions of the ZF 8-speed in other cars will not shift into the 8th speed (over drive) when in the sport mode. I believe this is also true in the A6 when the transmission lever is in S. What happens if the transmission is in D and the ADS is in Dynamic? Will the transmission shift into the 8th gear?
No. As previously stated, the shifter in D overrides the MMI Individual S/Dynamic modes for throttle and gear mapping.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by radarguy
Yes, if the transmission is in D it will shift into 8th gear, regardless of your ADS mode. Same with the S-tronic, it will not shift into 7th gear in S, but it will in D. If you have cruise control engaged, then both the ZF and the S-tronic will shift into the highest gear even in S.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by newmoon
To throw another wrench into the works, for my CVT I have noticed that clutch engagement, ratio changes and gas pedal sensitivity are even smoother when Audi Drive Select is in Comfort compared to Auto for Engine/Transmission. This is with the gear selector in D, not S of course.
I've never driven a CVT, but this is generally not the case. There's actually no difference between comfort and auto as far as the transmission/engine is concerned. The following is the ADS characteristics table from the A6/S6 owner's manual, where you can see that the characteristics for the transmission/engine is the same in comfort and auto. There are really only two modes for the transmission. D = Balanced and S = Sporty, so if the transmission is in D, it will operate in the balanced mode, regardless of your current overall ADS mode and if it's in S it will operate in sporty mode.
Attached Images  

Last edited by superswiss; 05-19-2016 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've never driven a CVT, but this is generally not the case. There's actually no difference between comfort and auto as far as the transmission/engine is concerned. The following is the ADS characteristics table from the A6/S6 owner's manual, where you can see that the characteristics for the transmission/engine is the same in comfort and auto. There are really only two modes for the transmission. D = Balanced and S = Sporty, so if the transmission is in D, it will operate in the balanced mode, regardless of your current overall ADS mode and if it's in S it will operate in sporty mode.
Yes, I know the manual says Comfort and Auto are both balanced, so that's why I mentioned this oddity that they seem to drive slightly differently. I guess other people can just try it and see if they notice any difference too.

Also, even if you leave the gear selector in Drive, the transmission still has dozens of shift programs to choose from based on speed, load, hills, driving style, etc. This is what Audi/VW calls "Dynamic Shift Program". So it's not as simple as saying there are only two modes: D/Balanced and S/Dynamic.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by newmoon
Yes, I know the manual says Comfort and Auto are both balanced, so that's why I mentioned this oddity that they seem to drive slightly differently. I guess other people can just try it and see if they notice any difference too.

Also, even if you leave the gear selector in Drive, the transmission still has dozens of shift programs to choose from based on speed, load, hills, driving style, etc. This is what Audi/VW calls "Dynamic Shift Program". So it's not as simple as saying there are only two modes: D/Balanced and S/Dynamic.
Probably just a placebo effect. I've driven dozens of different Audis over the last three years with ADS and there's no difference.

Yes, mode is probably the wrong word. I alluded to that in an earlier post. Balanced and Sporty are basically programs or strategies if you want and within them each one dynamically adjusts to the current driving situation and your driving style. Balanced prioritizes comfort and fuel economy, whereas Sporty prioritizes performance and agility.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-19-2016 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The one thing that does change is the steering feel, dynamic is heavier all the time, comfort is light all the time, and Auto is light at low speeds and heavier at faster speeds, I leave it in Auto and for the transmission just flick the shift selector for D or S
Old 05-19-2016, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Yes, if the transmission is in D it will shift into 8th gear, regardless of your ADS mode. Same with the S-tronic, it will not shift into 7th gear in S, but it will in D. If you have cruise control engaged, then both the ZF and the S-tronic will shift into the highest gear even in S.
This is platform dependant.

My C7 A7 S tronic will shift to 7th gear in S mode. I need to be doing around 120kph/75mph and be on a constant throttle before it will shift up. I never use cruise control.

Quick Reply: Comfort vs Dynamic - What's your take?