Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Common issues with 2012 A6

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 2012 A6 2.0T with 40k miles. These are some of the issues I've had or heard about:

- TSB# 2020124/12. The A/C pressure sensor leaked out the refrigerant and had to be replaced with a revised part. I think the old part was only used up to the 2012 model year.

- Emissions Service Action 17F9. On the 2.0T engine, the diaphragm in the crankcase pressure regulating valve may tear. The service only calls for the diaphragm to be replaced, but they did that on my car (preemptively) and it didn't seal properly, so they replaced the whole valve assembly.

- 48K8 electric power steering programming update. This is very controversial as to whether the update works or makes things worse. Basically, the steering had a very strange on-center feel or notch, and the update supposedly also changed the amount of power assist. But I haven't had any problems after the update.

- Oil consumption. I've heard about people having horrible oil consumption especially on the 2.0T engine, like 1 quart every 1,000 miles, but mine doesn't use any, even at 10k mile oil change intervals.

- Carbon buildup. Note that the extended warranty on the 3.0T Secondary Air Injection ports is only part of the issue (2.0T does not have a SAI system). The SAI ports pump fresh air into the exhaust headers to combust any unburned fuel to reduce emissions on cold starts. Because the ports are in the exhaust, they have always been prone to getting clogged, just like soot on the tailpipes, and Audi needs to warranty it because it is an emissions system.

The carbon buildup on the intake valves due to being a direct injection engine with no fuel to wash over the valves is another issue. I actually haven't seen anyone report this yet for the current A6s, so maybe only time will tell. Symptoms could be random misfires at idle, or loss of power. For this, I think one thing is to make sure the crankcase pressure regulating valve is clean and functioning correctly, so that it filters all the oil out of the blow-by gases and prevents the oil from going into the intake where it will eventually get baked onto the intake valves.

- 24AP fuel rail recall was for the 2012 3.0T engine and was for a leaking gasket on the fuel line. This did happen to some owners, and they would report a strong gasoline odor even after the car was left parked. As part of this recall, the thermostat and crankcase pressure regulating valves were also replaced with revised parts just because it was convenient, but it does indicate that there may have been unrelated issues with them too.

- Fuel tank door lock fails to open. Hasn't happened to me, but I think it only affects 2012s, then they revised the part later.

- The battery is in the trunk under the spare tire. Apparently the car's computer also has to be reset to relearn the charging characteristics of the battery.

Last edited by newmoon; 02-03-2016 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

12' A6 here with 125k on it.

I've had the fuel rail recall done and other than that, the car has been stellar. Only issue I'm having right now is that I just got the first check engine light, and it's for Bank1 Catalyst below threshold. I'm going to clear it and see if it comes, back. If it does, I'll first look at replacing the after cat O2 sensor before I look into replacing the cat.

Aside from that, I drive the car at least 100 miles a day and it's been very low maint.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

thanks all, will be pulling the trigger soon.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mind telling us how much you are getting it for? I'm thinking to trade in mine.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

I will once the deal is done, but in general I am looking at 2012-2013 Prestige models with 50k -60k miles. They range from $25k to $30k for the most part, depending on options, CPO, etc. There are some outliers high and low. If your mileage or model is different than that, let me know and I'll let you know what I've been seeing because I have been staring at A6s for a week now lol.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is a 2012 Prestige with 45k miles, extended warranty to 7yr/70k and all options minus B&O. It's been running great but I really got an itch for a pcar.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

you want a Cayenne lol
Old 02-05-2016, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

What year is your Cayenne? LOL

I actually was thinking about a Cayenne before getting the A6.

I have a 2012 CPO with 60k miles prestige LED sport 19in with audi side
Old 02-05-2016, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Its an old 2004 S. dash technology is archaic compared to your audi, but its fun to drive. I modified the exhaust a little bit to where its not obnoxious but has an extra grunt...naturally aspirated V8 so it sounds alot faster than it is lol. It needs a new rear hatch strut which is cheap if you do your own wrenching, like $150 part or so. rear tires only have a few months left. other than that, in great shape. I am considering keeping it as a third car for the rare towing and hauling.

its a great, great interstate vehicle....however its got steel spring suspension, and the usual porsche squeaky breaks if they aren't cleaned once a week, so its not a great in town car. I have gone from a highway miles situation to an almost all in town traffic situation, which was a major motivating factor to switching to a nice softer riding car.

I am about to just take it to my friend (a dealer) and take whatever he gives me...unless someone here is interested. i have it on craigslist and have been offered 2 harleys, a boat, and a corvette....but no cash. they are cheap (under 10k)
Old 02-07-2016, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Exhaust weld failure
Coolant leak
Thermostat failure
Folding mirror failure
Start/Stop Button peeling
Hood latch failure

Budget 1-2k a year in maint & repairs.

Quick Reply: Common issues with 2012 A6