Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Headlight indicator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight indicator?

Ok, so this feels like one of those stupid n00b questions, but I don't recall seeing one while I had the car, and I can't find anything about it in TFM....

With the headlights on AUTOMATIC, is there any (interior of course) indication that they're on???

TIA
Old 06-13-2014, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
Ok, so this feels like one of those stupid n00b questions, but I don't recall seeing one while I had the car, and I can't find anything about it in TFM....

With the headlights on AUTOMATIC, is there any (interior of course) indication that they're on???

TIA
Interesting question. My answer: Not that I know of. I guess just the rotary switch in the auto position. If you flick the light stalk for high beams you will see the blue (I think it is blue) high-beam indicator, but beyond that I don't think there is anything else. I sometimes have to look around to see if I can see my lights reflected in some surface like a shop's glass window, but I guess really no indicator saying "the lights are on"
Old 06-13-2014, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
Interesting question. My answer: Not that I know of. I guess just the rotary switch in the auto position. If you flick the light stalk for high beams you will see the blue (I think it is blue) high-beam indicator, but beyond that I don't think there is anything else. I sometimes have to look around to see if I can see my lights reflected in some surface like a shop's glass window, but I guess really no indicator saying "the lights are on"
The Nav screen changes to "night" mode when the headlights turn on via the Auto selection. That's the only indication I've seen that the lights are on.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:49 PM
DVE
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

There is an indication. If the rotary switch is on AUTO and the lowbeams are activated the yellow marked symbol is green illuminated. Unfortunately it is permanent illuminated if you have coded on "scandinavian" (means drl and rearlights are on).

Old 06-14-2014, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by dwboston
The Nav screen changes to "night" mode when the headlights turn on via the Auto selection. That's the only indication I've seen that the lights are on.
Unless, of course, if you have the nav screen set to "day" full time. (i'm not fond of the night mode).
Old 06-14-2014, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The backlighting for all of the buttons like the HVAC controls, etc will light up red when the headlights are on right?
Old 06-14-2014, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by newmoon
The backlighting for all of the buttons like the HVAC controls, etc will light up red when the headlights are on right?
No, not necessarily. If the headlights are activated because, for instance, your wipers are on, but there is still sufficient daylight, the inside backlights and other inside nighttime illumination will not be activated.

The answer to the OP is that the only indication is as DVE said, the headlight marker lights up. Unfortunately it is a real pain to see it (I am tall and the angle is horrendous). It would be nice if there was a dashboard indicator, but at least there is something
Old 06-14-2014, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alphatero
The answer to the OP is that the only indication is as DVE said, the headlight marker lights up. Unfortunately it is a real pain to see it (I am tall and the angle is horrendous). It would be nice if there was a dashboard indicator, but at least there is something
Thanks to you both! I recall that I too had a tough time with the angle to the headlight switch - it's IMO intended to be operated, not observed - so Audi putting the auto-light indication there is odd. I think the C5 auto-lights showed up in the instrument cluster - with all that the C7 cluster can do, it's sad there's no lights-on indication

At least I can probably remember to look at the light switch if I want to know whether they've come on or not. Sure would be nice if there were a way to recode via VCDS to make this better!
Old 06-15-2014, 01:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I always found it crazy that there are dash indicators if the clock is getting the time from GPS, auto high beam, high beam on, but nothing for low beam lights when on auto.

Surely a GPS clock indicator is less relevant than headlights, especially when the switch is prone to knee bumps.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Alphatero
No, not necessarily. If the headlights are activated because, for instance, your wipers are on, but there is still sufficient daylight, the inside backlights and other inside nighttime illumination will not be activated.

Honestly, I haven't seen the headlights come on just because the wipers come on. Because there's been a couple of times when I'm sitting behind another car and the wipers are on, but I can see the reflection of my lights and only the LED running lights are on (which are actually quite bright). So I go ahead and manually turn on the headlights. Maybe it's only LED headlights that come on with the wipers? I have a Premium Plus with HID headlights.

Quick Reply: Headlight indicator?