Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Cupholders

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 03:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Westchesterrick
Forget about the problem with large cups or with water bottles. Small coffee cups do not fit either because if you do force one past the jaws of steel springholders, then the armrest which protrudes too far forward tears the lid off of a small coffee cup.

Of course in previous years' A-6's, the arm rest was adjustable forward and back which could have solved the problem of the crappy cup holders, but the adjustable armerest went the way of the fog lights, folding side mirrors, quality seat material and quality floor mats as Audi has continued to cheap out on more and more "standard" equipment each new model year.

And to the fellow who recommended aftermarket cupholders, I would appreciate it if you could post a link to a brand that worked for you since the OEM ones in the A6 are useless as, ....well, you know.
I think the ultimate fix is having a female just hold whatever you want in the passenger seat, like cups, drinks, food, etc. Pricing is low YMMV. Also who really cares, your really drinking that much? my glass stella bottles fit perfectly!
Old 08-17-2012, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KarKid
A reading glass? lol!
My sunglasses don't even come close to fitting. I think only a monocle can fit in the sunglass holder:
Name:  kllink.jpg
Views: 1990
Size:  4.3 KB
Old 08-17-2012, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel like only the Americans have issue with the cup holder size. In Asia and most of Europe, our large cup is your small cup. I'm not a coffee drinker, but I was told that Americans enjoy larger weaker coffees and Europeans enjoy small strong coffees. Does that make any sense?
Old 08-17-2012, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Inyoury
I feel like only the Americans have issue with the cup holder size. In Asia and most of Europe, our large cup is your small cup. I'm not a coffee drinker, but I was told that Americans enjoy larger weaker coffees and Europeans enjoy small strong coffees. Does that make any sense?
That makes total sense. For many Americans, quantity is quality.

The large drinks at fast food places are the size of small buckets.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Inyoury
I a parallel vein I think it might be the case that Europeans prefer small strong performing cars while typical Americans prefer - oh, well - Cadillac’s and Chryslers - lol
Old 08-24-2012, 11:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Cupholders

I use a hard plastic black insert that I bought for my boat inside the larger of the 2 cup holders. It essentially fits just to the outside diameter of the holder and pushes those natsy spring loaded things back and out of the cup space. It is the depth of the cupholder with a lip around the top. I can still close the cup holder cover with it in there if I want. Very stable and great for water bottles and is deep enough to hold a dunkin donuts or starbucks medium cup perfectly. Will try to get a pic if I can.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

At first I wasn't sure why some people were complaining about plastic water bottles in the cup holders. But from my recent business trip to the US I did notice how thin and flimsy the bottles were. We're I live the plastic bottles are about 2-3 times thicker so no problem. And in the EU countries, bottled water is so d@mn expensive... They mostly come in small glass bottles that have absolutely no problem fitting in those small cup holders. I feel bad for you guys in the states.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cheybey
I use a hard plastic black insert that I bought for my boat inside the larger of the 2 cup holders. It essentially fits just to the outside diameter of the holder and pushes those natsy spring loaded things back and out of the cup space. It is the depth of the cupholder with a lip around the top. I can still close the cup holder cover with it in there if I want. Very stable and great for water bottles and is deep enough to hold a dunkin donuts or starbucks medium cup perfectly. Will try to get a pic if I can.
Hey, that's a good idea. Is there an actual mfg/part number for that insert? I would spend a few dollars for it so that I don't have to hear the water bottles "crackle" all the time. Thanks!
Old 08-25-2012, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nasters
I think the ultimate fix is having a female just hold whatever you want in the passenger seat, like cups, drinks, food, etc. Pricing is low YMMV. Also who really cares, your really drinking that much? my glass stella bottles fit perfectly!
Thats what I do. She says the trunk is pretty nice when I fold her up and toss her in it.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by YHan01
Hey, that's a good idea. Is there an actual mfg/part number for that insert? I would spend a few dollars for it so that I don't have to hear the water bottles "crackle" all the time. Thanks!
I second that. It would be great to get a link to an online source for this.

Quick Reply: Cupholders