Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017
View Poll Results: Which Gauge pod mount looks better?
Gauge Pod on-top of dash to left of steering wheel (single or dual)
0%
Gauge Pod in center Console Ashtray
15.38%
Guage Pod in driver side Vent
23.08%
Gauge Pod to right of steering wheel
61.54%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Custom OBD2 Gauge Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Custom OBD2 Gauge Mounts

I've customized quite a few options for my aftermarket Aeroforce OBD2 gauge, and personally there is one I prefer. But I'm curious.... what about you guys... which setup do you think looks better?
Each has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Alternatively... which setup do you think can be improved to look better?
Attached Images     
Old 02-13-2016, 10:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personal view here. An Audi is not a 4-cylinder pocket-rocket and thus should not be treated like one. Either OEM fit-finish, or don't cheese dick up the interior with tacky JEGS items.

Audi is something meant to be understated and classy, not racing down Westheimer at midnight trying to get half-a-car length on a blown-nitros-injected Mustang. The Audi wins by not racing and letting ole Johnny Red-neck Mustang/SRT/whatever think they won, when we know that they'd lose.

Some folks on AW, and more so Audizine, really need to grow up.

Love me or hate me, don't care. That's my .02.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NoahWeb
Personal view here. An Audi is not a 4-cylinder pocket-rocket and thus should not be treated like one. Either OEM fit-finish, or don't cheese dick up the interior with tacky JEGS items.

Audi is something meant to be understated and classy, not racing down Westheimer at midnight trying to get half-a-car length on a blown-nitros-injected Mustang. The Audi wins by not racing and letting ole Johnny Red-neck Mustang/SRT/whatever think they won, when we know that they'd lose.

Some folks on AW, and more so Audizine, really need to grow up.

Hi Noah,
I can respect that, but I also appreciate if you respect others opinions. I'm not asking if anyone approves, but asking for preference. So if you have no comments that help my post, please keep negative opinions out. However I do understand and can appreciate your viewpoint. Nothing wrong with it.
It's just not what i'm looking for in this thread. Not looking for approval of whether I should or should not. Looking for opinion of those that are willing to provide opinion of options provided.

But sorry to twist this around... if you have to say others need to grow-up, then this comment in itself proves you do not have the adult maturity to respect or be respected. I think that is more a "Grown up" attitude. Nevertheless... Thank you for your feedback.

Thank you.

Edit:
This is NOT a hot-rod mod for those otherwise uninformed. This is not to track or race the car, even though Audi does provide lap timer for the car from factory.
I do not zip around town looking to stomp on gas against another car.

This is a SCAN GAUGE. it's purpose is to monitor car's operation and health, and diagnose any faults while also allowing me to check DTC's without having to grab VagCom every time. I've been tuning my other cars for years so when engine is acting funny, I know to check certain parameters to help diagnose failure along with the tell-tale OBD2 code. Just experimenting with mounting options to see what is least obtrusive with good visibility and blends better.

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 02-14-2016 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say the top row look best, with preference to the top right.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by manishaudi
I would say the top row look best, with preference to the top right.
+1.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the opinions on the pics guys. These are all rough-ins and I will be getting a custom 3D printed solution with better fit once I've made final decision.
I too am leaning toward look of one at top right of steering wheel. But may relocate it to left side of steering wheel so it's not so obvious to others. That position is not as obtrusive as the one atop the dash, while still allowing me to not drop my eyes away from road too much.

Thank you much.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by IknowHuhA6
I too am leaning toward look of one at top right of steering wheel. But may relocate it to left side of steering wheel so it's not so obvious to others. That position is not as obtrusive as the one atop the dash, while still allowing me to not drop my eyes away from road too much.
I prefer the look of the top right although wiring might be more of a problem in that location. The right side would facilitate changing the gauge parameters with your right hand.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by NoahWeb

...Some folks on AW, and more so Audizine, really need to grow up.
Sorry, but that was a totally inappropriate post and not even worth the 2 cents. The OP has probably done more mods than anyone else in the A6/C7 forum and has spent considerable time and effort sharing his projects and helping the members.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by IknowHuhA6
It appears that you have answered your question (assisted with the forum group therapy ). Was going to suggest the bottom layout with the gauges less conspicuous**, but your comment indicates that you would be paying more attention than I realized.

** I worry that visible "extras" would entice miscreants to break in....
Old 02-15-2016, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

TenSpeed,
Great point on benefit of keeping to right side for us right handed people. Plus just realized today after using it for a bit that if I switched it to left side, then everybody driving on my left would be able to see unit in car and more obvious to outside viewers especially at night. Keeping it on right side conceals it better from outside.
Wire thankfully is a piece of cake. It's single thin harness wire to OBD2 port. Audi was kind enough to design a small channel toward top of instrument cluster on A6, and wire fits neatly concealed inside this top channel above cluster yet below dashpad. Thank you Audi!

Snagit
Glad you guys are finding posts useful and interesting.

AMD
Not answered just yet. Point of this thread is to seek help in form of a brain trust to vet out ideas in case there's something I hadn't considered. Just because I'm stuck on an idea.... I may be overlooking something that I could realize thanks to help of others.
Yes scan gauges should not be checked while driving, but since I can log so many parameters.. I'm sure there will be few I will be tempted to check on occasion while driving just due to curiosity. But we all know we should keep our eyes on the road.

Quick Reply: Custom OBD2 Gauge Mounts