Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

CVT Owners Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CVT Owners Thread

Anyone here else own a CVT C7? I feel like I am in the minority lol.

2012 2.0 CVT owned since 2012 now has 25k miles and no major issues. One more year on warranty left. Think we are going to keep this one.

Has had no service done besides 3 oil changes.

Some issues it had

Last year one time it was not moving in drive and got stuck at a light. Audi kept for two weeks found nothing wrong.

Squeaking sound over bumps from the rear. Went to two different Audi dealers they found nothing or hear nothing. Replaced shock mounts and it did nothing.

When wheel is turned and car is driving at high speed you can hear a metallic whining noise like coins being tossed around. Audi also does not hear this.

Sometimes idling in traffic the car shudders and feels like its misfiring almost but its faint and the RPMS are steady....not sure what that is.

One month ago trying to reverse it, was not backing up until giving it gas till 2-3 RPM where it then made a clunk and backed up.

The car is not driven often at all either. One key doesn't work maybe the battery died.

Hoping to get the CVT replaced as I fear its going with the weird issues. Any other insight to other issues? Got a year left.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes I have a 2012 CVT with 32k miles. I think it works great with the low-end torque of the 2.0T because the CVT keeps the revs low and the turbo on boost with no interruptions for gear changes.

Plus it gets amazing gas mileage. My overall average for the whole 32k miles is around 31.6 mpg! I also just did over 600 miles on 1 tank! (I reset the long-term memory every time I fill up.)

Originally Posted by 335i
One month ago trying to reverse it, was not backing up until giving it gas till 2-3 RPM where it then made a clunk and backed up.
The only issue of yours that I can comment on is this, and I don't believe it is a CVT issue anyway. Sometimes when the brakes get wet, the rotors may rust and the pads get stuck and don't release. I had it happen after I washed my car and left it in my garage for several days with the electronic parking brake set. However, it can happen with the regular service brakes too. So now I always dry the brakes after washing the car, by going back and forth a few times, and I no longer use the parking brake in my garage.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear and one year later still alright. How about you?

The noise in the back has gotten worse and its a constant creaking over any bump or surface and of course now I am out of warranty.

Any new owners join up with CVT or is it just me and newmoon in here?
Old 06-13-2016, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My car is still going great. At 45k miles now, still on original tires and brakes. CVT and clutch are still smooth. Had the CVT transmission fluid and spark plugs changed at 35k miles, included with Audi Care. Gas mileage is incredible creeping up to almost 32 mpg over the entire 45k miles.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 335i
Good to hear and one year later still alright. How about you?

The noise in the back has gotten worse and its a constant creaking over any bump or surface and of course now I am out of warranty.

Any new owners join up with CVT or is it just me and newmoon in here?
Sounds like a bad bushing to be honest. I have had that same noise I believe you are talking about on my other car and it was just a bad bushing. 10$ part replaced and no more creaking.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi guys ive got a old 2004 a4 b6 2.4 cvt when i got it i thought the trans was toast all the prnds lights were lit up solid on the dash when i put in drive was like it was stuck in top gear when i selected s it would launch off the mark i done a scan and it come up with a fault with tiptronic switch so i pulled it apart just to see how it worked then put it back together well f!@# me dead the dash cleared up and displayed the way it suppose to i didn't even know it had 6 gears till i started using sports shift i had my doubts but im impressed with the cvt it made a big difference once that tiptronic started working again, im gonna replace the 12year old magnets and bits i might have moved it around enough for it work again but its done its time