Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi and Apple "Car Play" new press release

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Audi and Apple "Car Play" new press release

After all the hand wringing by Apple iDevice owners, apparently Audi is planning on incorporating Apple Car Play to the MMI afterall in addition to the Google in car system that Audi announced last January. This would be good news for future Audi/iDevice owners and a smart move for Audi as it would cover 80%+ of current phone users.

In any case, the initial implementations would not be until MY2016 and it's not clear which models would first offer either or both of the systems. For those wondering, it's highly unlikely either could be retrofiitted to current models without extensive MMI hardware and software revisions. We'll have to wait and see what develops.

https://www.audi-mediaservices.com/p...s_android.html

http://www.caradvice.com.au/293074/a...to-audi-honda/

Last edited by snagitseven; 06-27-2014 at 05:38 AM.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Smart. Don't alienate anyone.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is good news indeed. I was worried that, as the head of an iFamily, my next Audi would not be CarPlay compatible after google's announcement earlier this year. While I do not really care what powers the electronics under the hood (dashboard), Audi going Android only sounded like a stupid move.

I was one of the (probably) many Audi customers sending them heated yet serious arguments against that.

Kudos to Audi for listening. Now I can safely keep dreaming about a 2016 S6 iCar.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by billmac
This is good news indeed. I was worried that, as the head of an iFamily, my next Audi would not be CarPlay compatible after google's announcement earlier this year. While I do not really care what powers the electronics under the hood (dashboard), Audi going Android only sounded like a stupid move.

I was one of the (probably) many Audi customers sending them heated yet serious arguments against that.

Kudos to Audi for listening. Now I can safely keep dreaming about a 2016 S6 iCar.
Ditto, though I'm in for the 2015 and will probably still miss the boat. When I checked with them when CarPlay was announced, they said they would not be supporting it then. I'd say 9 of 10 Audi owners I know use iPhones, not Android-based phones.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I really hope a MMI software update will be sufficient (staying optimistic) to allow CarPlay in previous model years. I just got my 2014 A6 a few months ago and the lack of CarPlay support was a big blow. I love my Audi either way but man it would make it that much better. Please Audi offer some form of software/hardware update to your current supporters and not just future buyers!
Old 06-27-2014, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

I hope you are right, but the way that they phrased their press release is a bit nebulous: "The first Audi vehicles with support for CarPlay and Android Auto will start rolling out in 2015".

That could mean MY2015, but sounds more like MY2016 coming out next year. It may also be based on or require the new Nvidia-based MMI hardware that started with the A3...hard to know for sure.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by joebird
I'd say 9 of 10 Audi owners I know use iPhones, not Android-based phones.
Oh please, not this mis-information again. Been disproved

Why can't you I-addicted devotees just be happy with this news rather than spreading mis-information?

Just keep buying the I-stuff and make my Apple stock climb further
Old 06-27-2014, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just my experience...not trying to be an I-hole.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am actually aiming for a purchase in 2016, so I think it would be a MY17 S6. Hopefully this will be enough time for CarPlay to be supported in that model. I will see what I can dig out from my contacts in Cupertino and let you know here.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick61
Oh please, not this mis-information again. Been disproved

Why can't you I-addicted devotees just be happy with this news rather than spreading mis-information?

Just keep buying the I-stuff and make my Apple stock climb further
And why is it that some people feel they have to characterize Apple owners in some derisive manner?

Quick Reply: Audi and Apple "Car Play" new press release