Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Dash cam - Blackvue

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash cam - Blackvue

Hey guys, I've recently installed Blackvue DR650GW-2CH and it came with power magic pro to have the dash cam on all the time and shut off if it is about to drain the battery.

Now I've looked up on what fuse to tap into and tried it and the power magic pro is not getting power and the box is not defective since they have sent me a replacement one after I told them the one came with the dash cam isn't working.

Anyone know how to get it to power on or what fuse I should tap into?
Right now it's plugged into the cig lighter so when the car is on it powers on.

It has Red ( turns on when ignition is on), Yellow ( on all the time), and black ( ground wire).
Old 04-19-2015, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

The cigarette charger is switched.

You need a constant power source for the power magic so it will keep the camera on while the car is off. The power magic will shut down when the voltage gets below 11.8 volts.

Mine is installed on the passenger side of the dash.

You can't see the Power Magic in this pic because it wasn't installed yet, but we use the bottom fuse block and attached the Power Magic below it.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
The cigarette charger is switched. You need a constant power source for the power magic so it will keep the camera on while the car is off. The power magic will shut down when the voltage gets below 11.8 volts. Mine is installed on the passenger side of the dash. You can't see the Power Magic in this pic because it wasn't installed yet, but we use the bottom fuse block and attached the Power Magic below it.
I've been trying to find a fuse to use but not sure on which one on passenger side. Which fuse are you tapping yours into?
Old 04-19-2015, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

The problem is that you need constant voltage so you need to tap it on the driver side fuse box.
That's what is did for my BV550 2CH on the side note I prefer it over 650 because of the wider lenses. Any how that's how I did mine. Don't remember exactly what number fuse they are but it's been working fine past 2 mo. As you can see I'm using add a fuse thing. And I'm happy to report that it records solid 8h while I'm at work parked on street
Old 04-19-2015, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

On the other hand I should probably add (since I cant edit my post above ^) that I did not check the passenger side fuse box for voltage because I wanted to have magic pro on drives side any how. Multimeter is your best friend to find voltage and then refer to manual what is what and tap in.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TH3PERFECTON3
On the other hand I should probably add (since I cant edit my post above ^) that I did not check the passenger side fuse box for voltage because I wanted to have magic pro on drives side any how. Multimeter is your best friend to find voltage and then refer to manual what is what and tap in.
I have tried driver side too but couldn't get it to work either. I have used multimeter too. I did not use add a fuse thing. I just wrapped the wire around the fuse. I will try again with the add a fuse thing and use your picture. If you can tell me where your wires are tapped into the fuse that would be great! Thank you!

Edit: also where did you ground the black wire to? I grounded mine to the bolt above in your picture.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Did not drive my A6 today, I have Demolition in progress next to my work :/
When I get home I will post all necessary pictures. And Ad a fuse thing you will need two sizes I'm sure you can notice from the picture above. As far as the ground goes I used the bolt in top left of the picture with modification will post picture.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Did not drive my A6 today, I have Demolition in progress next to my work :/ When I get home I will post all necessary pictures. And Ad a fuse thing you will need two sizes I'm sure you can notice from the picture above. As far as the ground goes I used the bolt in top left of the picture with modification will post picture.
Awesome, thank you!
Old 04-20-2015, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Before is start just want to mention that I did this all myself and it worked out fine I'm not electrician by any means but I like mess around with hardware. It works fine for me but if something goes wrong for anyone else I'm not responsible. This in not a guide how to do it this is my example of doing it.

First position of the dash cams

Passenger size fuse box :

In order to ground the Magic Pro to The Bolt in the fuse box I needed to cut off the end terminal (it was to small to go on the bolt) so I replaced it with Spade Terminal #10

Cable management :
Red for power
Green for Video

And that would be about it its not the best job out there but I'm happy with it and people who get in to my car don't even notice stuff so job well done.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Before is start just want to mention that I did this all myself and it worked out fine I'm not electrician by any means but I like mess around with hardware. It works fine for me but if something goes wrong for anyone else I'm not responsible. This in not a guide how to do it this is my example of doing it. First position of the dash cams Passenger size fuse box : In order to ground the Magic Pro to The Bolt in the fuse box I needed to cut off the end terminal (it was to small to go on the bolt) so I replaced it with Spade Terminal #10 Cable management : Red for power Green for Video And that would be about it its not the best job out there but I'm happy with it and people who get in to my car don't even notice stuff so job well done.
Nice!!! I have mine installed just need to install the power magic pro. I just don't know which fuse to tap into with the add a fuse thing. I have my valentine one radar wired to fuse. I just can't seem to get the power magic pro to power on or at wire them correctly. What slot did you tap into?

Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Dash cam - Blackvue