Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Buzzing sound problem with 2014 A6

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 04:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buzzing sound problem with 2014 A6

My 2012 A6 3.0T lease was ending, and I got a 2014 A6 3.0T two weeks ago. The new vehicle has the sport package, and it uses Pirelli 255 19 wheels. I have been driving it for two weeks and I can hear a consistent buzzing sound when I drive faster than 35-40mph. The sound is not loud and it varies on different road surfaces. I feel it comes from outside of the car. I went to two dealers to check this problem, and each time the technician told me the sound was normal tire noise. When I complained that my previous 245 18 Continental tires did not have this kind of buzzing sound, they just told me that Pirelli tires were harder and nosier. I am not sure about that conclusion, but on the other hand, I don't want to replace the tires to find out whether the tires cause the sound. Your opinion is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Is it a buzzing sound or more of a humming? I cannot understand how tires could make a buzzing sound.
That detail aside, I think that the lower sidewall of the 19’s (having to be stiffer than a higher sidewall 18”) may add to the sound. Also, the Pirelli’s on your car may be more of a performance oriented model than the 18” Conti’s on your last car.
I had Conti’s on my ’06 A4 and then when I got my ’08 A4 that car had Pirelli’s. They were the same size on 17” wheels and both were normal all seasons. I felt the Pirelli’s rode noticeably more smoothly and silently. My dealer agreed and told me that Pirelli’s use a softer compound than Conti uses, tire type to tire type.
I guess there are so many variables. Good luck getting to the bottom of it.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
Is it a buzzing sound or more of a humming? I cannot understand how tires could make a buzzing sound.
That detail aside, I think that the lower sidewall of the 19’s (having to be stiffer than a higher sidewall 18”) may add to the sound. Also, the Pirelli’s on your car may be more of a performance oriented model than the 18” Conti’s on your last car.
I had Conti’s on my ’06 A4 and then when I got my ’08 A4 that car had Pirelli’s. They were the same size on 17” wheels and both were normal all seasons. I felt the Pirelli’s rode noticeably more smoothly and silently. My dealer agreed and told me that Pirelli’s use a softer compound than Conti uses, tire type to tire type.
I guess there are so many variables. Good luck getting to the bottom of it.
That noise is not loud at all, and you need to pay attention to hear it. I am not sure the difference between buzzing noise and humming noise. But I don't think it is wrong to say it is a humming noise.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

In my experiences with various Pirellis, when they're not out of round, can be excessively noisy. If you have the P-Zeros, don't worry, you'll be replacing them very soon anyway due to the short tread life.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello, I just bought a 2014 Audi A6 TDI, I am running 18" wheels. I hear a slight buzzing sound every now and then when driving on grooved pavement, the state is resurfacing the highways. Anyway the slight buzzing is actually coming from my overhead console in the car, put a finger on it and it goes away. Only happens on these grooved roads at certain speeds. Maybe this is what you are hearing?
Old 07-30-2014, 05:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jchristilles
Hello, I just bought a 2014 Audi A6 TDI, I am running 18" wheels. I hear a slight buzzing sound every now and then when driving on grooved pavement, the state is resurfacing the highways. Anyway the slight buzzing is actually coming from my overhead console in the car, put a finger on it and it goes away. Only happens on these grooved roads at certain speeds. Maybe this is what you are hearing?
I think it is different. In my case, I can hear it whenever I drive faster than 40mph, no matter what kind of road surface. The noise does change with different kind of road surface.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have run those tires before on my 2012 Touareg TDI. How is your wheel alignment and tire balance?
Old 07-31-2014, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There was a thread alleging some resonance from chassis on certain road surface. Do a search for resonance on C7 forum.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I have run those tires before on my 2012 Touareg TDI. How is your wheel alignment and tire balance?
I think the OP should try different tire pressures and see if slightly higher or slightly lower PSI helps to reduce the noise. I find with my '13 A6 2.0 P+ that the ride and handling are better and the car quieter with 3 PSI more than recommended.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Tried that and the humming sound is still there. My daughter says it is humming noise, not buzzing noise.

Quick Reply: Buzzing sound problem with 2014 A6