Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Dealer found unexpected surprise. Car was Tuned!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
May I suggest a search on a competing forum for more information regarding the gains of the Chipwerke? I think that the 10HP gain may be in dispute. The difference in my car between the chip in or out is significant. If it were only 10HP then I would hardly notice it..
+1

There is extensive data on the Chipwerke for our engines if you check here and other forums (look for posts by bhvrdr, he's the resident expert from what I've been reading).

I also disagree with Steve that piggybacks are 'cancerous' - there are fellow A6 owners who've been running them for 20k+ miles with ZERO issues and a ton of extra kick. Piggybacks have been around for ages (the JB's for BMW come to mind) and are very common in Europe (Racechip and MTM are the most popular there I believe). I'll be ordering mine in the couple weeks.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, why would I need to search the internet when I own speed shops and have seen every single A6 that is chipped put on my dyno and have never seen one with over 10hp gain. I'm sorry but in this case I'll believe what I see with my own two eyes over what I read on the internet.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I've read up on the chipwerke and based on the many testimonials I would agree the chipwerke is a very good bang for the buck. Very great solution for warranty cars that need to add and remove power easily. I was very impressed by the technology and it's results from what I've read. However not my cup of tea personally.

I'm thinking the 10HP chip mentioned was a cheap ebay type product. There are tons of cheaper "chips" I've seen online some of which are simple IAT resistors to fool ECM to provide added fuel.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Seattlite_A6C7
+1

I also disagree with Steve that piggybacks are 'cancerous'
Yeah sorry I should have worded my reply better. Cancerous was an extreme desctiprtion so apologies. What I meant is that a "chip" fools the car's computer to operate at simulated versus real values causing engines to operate at conditions that are not real. For instance.. telling the ECM it's colder air outside than it really is. Yes you get better timing and faked MAF readings provide extra fuel but as a result now the extra fuel at real hotter temperature makes engine more susceptible to detonation and fuel trims are affected. I'm not saying this is absolutely wrong. We all have our preferences and to each their own. But I don't want that for my car. So sorry didn't mean to diminish the value for those that have or want to use a chip on their cars.

There was a scene in the first Terminator movie, where cop was explaining that punching though window was probably guy on PCP, where he felt nothing but probably broke every bone in his hand. I consider a chip on a car like PCP for a person. Powerful but with hidden consequences not visible unless you're scanning your car.

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 07-24-2015 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dshahs420
Guys, why would I need to search the internet when I own speed shops and have seen every single A6 that is chipped put on my dyno and have never seen one with over 10hp gain. I'm sorry but in this case I'll believe what I see with my own two eyes over what I read on the internet.
You have seen every A6 that has been chipped? That is quite a claim. How many speed shops do you own?

Do you have a four wheel dyno btw?

Did you buy your Audi through an Audi dealer? If so I'm thinking they might have some responsibility for selling you a car that has been modded.

Just looked at your profile. You seem to be bummed out a lot while on drugs. What's up with that?
Old 07-25-2015, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

First off, you seem to have confused dshahs with the OP. Second, personal, derisive comments are unnecessary and not permitted in the forums. Please stop.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by IknowHuhA6
Yes you get better timing and faked MAF readings provide extra fuel but as a result now the extra fuel at real hotter temperature makes engine more susceptible to detonation and fuel trims are affected.
I've heard from different sources that a rich mixture tends to run cooler. The lean mixture burns slower and exposes the cylinder to higher temperatures longer.

Practicable applications would be running rich in a airplane engine on take off and climbing to cool the engine during the reduced air speed. Another would be a drag car engine nosing over at the end run due to the lean mixture. That sometimes causes piston holes from the heat.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
I've heard from different sources that a rich mixture tends to run cooler. The lean mixture burns slower and exposes the cylinder to higher temperatures longer.

Practicable applications would be running rich in a airplane engine on take off and climbing to cool the engine during the reduced air speed. Another would be a drag car engine nosing over at the end run due to the lean mixture. That sometimes causes piston holes from the heat.
Great Points Tenspeed. Yes that's my understanding as well. But that ties into my reasoning that as environmental situations change, the computer can't adjust correctly because the chip is forcing faked values to increase performance. In my experience when I see the engine is running lean I knew I was at maximum HP potential and would adjust the timing to compensate for different AFR mixture at that condition with adjustment factors for IAT temps and Engine coolant temps to avoid detonation. Max HP for me was at the edge of detonation but that changed based on specific AFR I was running at the time.
Cooling the charge with fuel has the effect of changing the AFR, thus affecting where spark needs to occur in relation to TDC. Now add boost to the equation and that dynamic changes completely as boost varies based on air density and barometric pressure. So now the increasing boost at different elevations and IAT readings needs to adjust. Now throw spark plug-type into the mix and some retain heat more than others needing different timing. Now change the intake and the metered airflow changes and resets other parameters... etc etc. Enough to give you a headache, but I loved tuning my cars.

So using a chip basically nullifies all the above. The computer cannot compensate and adjust for optimal performance because it's tricked with preset faked or re-adjusted settings. So to reiterate, it's my personal preference coupled with my enthusiasm to customize my cars to run as very finely tuned machines that I prefer tunes, not chips.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
First off, you seem to have confused dshahs with the OP. Second, personal, derisive comments are unnecessary and not permitted in the forums. Please stop.
Yes, I did confuse them with that one comment. As to personal comments, you did look at his profile to see why I was messing with him I hope. It all makes sense if you know what he posted about himself.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jjsC6
You have seen every A6 that has been chipped? That is quite a claim. How many speed shops do you own?

Do you have a four wheel dyno btw?

Did you buy your Audi through an Audi dealer? If so I'm thinking they might have some responsibility for selling you a car that has been modded.

Just looked at your profile. You seem to be bummed out a lot while on drugs. What's up with that?
Yes I own 3 speed shop locations in the state of RI. Yes I own a 4 wheel dyno and also a 2 wheel dyno that are calibrated every 6 months. Yes I bought my Audi at the dealership brand new with 12 miles on the ODO. So far we have had 8 Audi A6 3.0 that have been chipped, with the fluids changed to Royal Purple(oil, ATF, transfer case and diff) and put on a dyno before the change and then after and yes not one showed an increase of more than 10hp. The before and after is purely for the RP change and gain in hp. Now I don't know where these people bought their A6s as some were new and some used.
As for drugs....even if that was meant for the OP not all of them are bad as I am a drug dealer by profession.

Last edited by dshahs420; 07-27-2015 at 01:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Dealer found unexpected surprise. Car was Tuned!!